Author Topic: Ye grand DOCKING thread  (Read 1984 times)

Offline diamondgeezer

Ye grand DOCKING thread
Would it be possible for a player to dock to another object? Either manually lining up the dockpoints and pressing D (or something), or pressing a key to make the AI takeover, once the player has gotten himself near enough the dockee.

What I'm thinking is - if the player was flying a Triton, is it possible to create a system whereby he could pickand drop off cargo crates. Similarly, it might make rearming easier - no more waiting around for the support ship to fanny about, you can just zoom up to it then line up the dock yourself. Well, maybe.

And while we're on the subject, how about allowing a mission writer to force the player's ship to perform AI tasks. Perhaps hitting A could force the player's fighter to fly a series of waypoints, thus simulating an autopilot. That kind of thing. And you could have a hostile influence take control of the player's fighter, making it attack his own side whilst the player is helpless to stop it, perhaps.

Anyway, the can has been opened - I leave you guys to deal with the worms :)

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
You mean a docking system like in XWA?
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline diamondgeezer

Er... I honestly don't know. In my experience, SW games are things that happen to other people.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
What makes you think we'd rather be flying a huge freighter than a fighter?

AI taking over the ship controls is a good idea, though: leave it to the mission designer to decide how to use it.

EDIT: Ooh, I have two SA avatars...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
:rolleyes: What makes you think people wouldnt?
Got Ether?

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
What makes you think we'd rather be flying a huge freighter than a fighter?

... leave it to the mission designer to decide how to use it. [/B]

QED

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
i personally think Diamond Geezer has a great idea... that would be cool.

Offline athropy

Yes, yes..

This has been suggested before and I would really love having that option (letting AI take control of a player-flyable). I would go about tinkering with it myself if I'd know where to start.

...could be useful. You could dock with a static ship to rearm, make an intresting feature for a "paintball" or "capture the flag" multiplayer type mission.

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline Anaz

DG, even better is if you can also have a way to use a SEXP to turn off the HUD. Then guess what we have? In-game cutscenes!
Still need a way to teleport the ship around tho...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
'This would be pretty cool I think - very useable. And Flying Freighters is one thing that's never been handled well by FS2 - you can barely do it.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp