Author Topic: yay or nay  (Read 23649 times)

Offline terren

Those things are amazing!
The new particals are AWSOME, perfict for showing a drive that goes by pure power, like on a bomber or a heavy cap ship.  and the outher things they can be used for, wow.

and I like the new stabbing drive effect it's so shiny...
good for anything fast and manuverable.  or top of the line new drives... I have to go now, drooling to much.

Tell me your puting everything you have into geting this into the next release?  pleese!
Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Hate to be a kill joy at this stage - but I just noticed something with Bobs engine trails (the standard type, not particle):

When a capital ship is at a stop - the trail keeps on going as if the ship was moving. It's kinda off putting, especially on larger ships like the Hecate, to see huge trails getting chucked out of the back of the ship while it's not moving. If you could make them revert to "all stop" engine trails (for want of a better word) while the ship isn't moving, that'd be great :)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yes, the '100 mph' look can be a bit odd.

Maybe just turn the 'beam' effect off when speed is below 15 or something, that would look good for those famous 'handbrake turns' that fighters love doing ;)

Also, I've noticed that when you are on the normal of the model's thrusters, they turn off, it's only for a frame or so and is a very minor irritation, but I just thought I'd let you know ;)

Flipside :D

Originally posted by StratComm
If argv[-1]'s engine glows scaling gets put in with this though

Engine glow scaling is already there. I just changed it to turn off engine glows entirely if there's no thrust. There seems to be some contention about whether or not this is a good thing, unfortunately... :(

Offline Fr3z3r

• http://www.freespace.prv.pl
Yeah, bad idea for capships. But for anything exceeding 50 m/s in speed...

...kicks major arse! :nod:

When will it be included in the official SCP release? Whenwhenwhen?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
That particle effect (especially on the myrmidon) is ugly as sin - but the origional stuff [just the trails like in StratComm's post] are super

and length can be speed or sheer power [higher the power the longer it's going to be, and the higher the speed the longer it's going to be]

btw StratComm  what mod is that it looks spiffy
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Hey, I like the particle thrusters on the Myrmidon. They're pretty.

Since it's a particle effect, it apparently isn't affected by borken normals on the engine glows in the models (like the other kind). Also, I imagine the thruster trails would curve as the ship turns (it looks like that's what's happening in the second screenshot).

As an aside, in FreeSpace 1, on the command briefing for 'Playing Judas', there is an animation that shows the Dragon in all its detail. Among other things, the engines are labelled 'particle thrusters'...

Offline Lynx

Originally posted by Flipside

Flipside :D

Yay! Finally we have particle engines.:cool:

I have a question: The trail of the Satis freighter is not particle, or is it? IMO it looks better right now than the engines of the Myrmidon, which looks more like it's trailing smoke from damage or something. I'm sure it's possible to create a continous thruster trail without such random 'cloud' thingies coming out, isn't it? Would it possible with the system to create a XWA like thruster flame?
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
The Satis don't have any particle trails on them - they use Bobs revamped engine trail thingy.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I still think the formula that regulates the particle's movement is far from perfect.

By giving them a higher initial velocity as well as a shorter fade-out time coupled with a colorscale based on time we could achieve better effects.

Even the position compared to the engine's center should be taken into account, so particles coming farther away from the center would start with a positive time added to them, simulating their shorter lifespan and difference in color.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Wow, that is looking super!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline mnftg64

Uhh, where should I put the files and is the FS2 Open e a replacement for 3.5.5 or does it have all of 3.5.5s features plus the new engine stuff?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Kazan
That particle effect (especially on the myrmidon) is ugly as sin - but the origional stuff [just the trails like in StratComm's post] are super

and length can be speed or sheer power [higher the power the longer it's going to be, and the higher the speed the longer it's going to be]

Them's me ship mods ;)

They can be found in my sig and are floating around the community and some can be found in campaigns here and there.  The Raynor was a community project but since I finished it I host it for download.

As for the length of the trails, it looks like right now they are being drawn on a polygon that always faces the player.  If this is so, could we not just have the length of the polygon shorten as engine power decreases?  Tie it's length to the percent of total thrust?  I wouldn't be against the capship engines if they weren't [quite] so long, and if there were no trails when they were sitting still.  Really the trails while not moving are the big problem, but making them a bit shorter would help too IMHO.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
Im getting an error message when i try to play the game after updating FS_Open. Something to the effect of:
'The Paging file is too small for this operation to complete.'

Is this a memory problem or is the build a little screwry? Btw, im running on 384Mb Ram with a Radeon 9000.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Kazan

I have to agree... I think that the original trails effect (Freelancer-like style) looked better...
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well paticles are disabled by defalt, becase I don't like them ether, but if someone wants them they have the option
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by Bobboau
well paticles are disabled by defalt, becase I don't like them ether, but if someone wants them they have the option

The way they work now, does not apply really to an actual jet engine (or rocket engine). As I said a new algorythm has to be written if we want particle engines.

BTW this stuff would still come handy for a number of effects and especially the smoke trail, that missles leave.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Wow, particle engines... I've waited years to see those. :):yes:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
uhhh how do you use these anyway?
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline terren

Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.