Author Topic: Time to bite the bullet  (Read 1778 times)

Time to bite the bullet
I love the SCP. Couldn't live without it. Freespace Open is da' bomb.

Recently, however, during any given mission, availible physical memory goes "kapoot." For some reason, I start each mission with around 80 out of 512 mb availible. That, of course, means I can only play a single mission without having to restart my computer to get my ram back. I get great frame rates, but I'd like to play longer.

Although Fs2 claims (-stat flag) to be using only about 200 mb out of 512, that doesn't account for the other 300 mb. I have nothing else running in the background. Yeah, I've got JPG/TGA and glowmaps enabled, but with an ATI 9800 PRO and 2.4 Ghz, you'd think I could play longer. And that still doesn't explain the missing 300mb.

So, anyways, my question to you. How much RAM do I need to run 3.6.5 for longer (4, 5 missions?) periods of time?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 10:24:05 pm by 1278 »

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
If it's win XP, there's your 300 megs...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

I stubbornly refuse to use XP. I'm a 98 SE user.

Edit: No posts after thirty minutes? I'm not being ignored. Nope. They must all be sleeping. Of course.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 10:51:15 pm by 1278 »

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Originally posted by Blitzerland
I stubbornly refuse to use XP. I'm a 98 SE user.

I get more missions than that out of my 98SE machine... despite only having 256mb of ram.

Do you have detail maxed out, -jpeg and -glow flags enabled? If so, then something besides Fs2 is gobbling RAM.

Anyways, does anyone have any idea what the heck is eating 300 mb of RAM?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
d3d makes a system copy of all textures in addition to the system copy that FSO makes and the vram copy try playing in OGL, it tends to be a bit more memory effecent.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
A quick solution to regain memory beside a restart:

Start the Taskmanager - wink2k / winxp - check processes, kill the ones that take the most memory.
Explorer.exe is a likely candidate.
To regain your destok aftef killing explorer.exe, still on the taskmanagger start a new process, type in explorer.

The procedure is the same for 98SE except, just hit ctrl-alt-del to get the list of running programs.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Bobboau
d3d makes a system copy of all textures in addition to the system copy that FSO makes and the vram copy try playing in OGL, it tends to be a bit more memory effecent.

:wtf: Why? And is there any way to free the FS2 system copy and use the DX system copy, or vice versa?
-C

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Originally posted by Raa
If it's win XP, there's your 300 megs...

WinXP does not use 300 megs unless you have absolutly every service turned on.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Kie99

Try THIS, it a task manager that kills all non-essential processes running.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"