Author Topic: Widescreen support?  (Read 3852 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Last time I used -fov I had a problem with the fact that the cockpit scaled as well in a way that made it completely out of sync with the model.

What happens if you use it when you have a cockpit for the ship?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If your eyepoint is in the right spot, and your cockpit is the right scale, it should just be like focusing on only what's right in front of you.  It may eliminate some of the cockpit from view that you had intended to be seen unfortunately.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Aside from a degree of weirdness with slightly noticeable accented underscores appearing next to or beneath each character in the various text boxes in the game (which I was able to start ignoring pretty quickly), widescreen in the game is indeed perfectly playable. I've had no real issues playing at 1920x1200.

Lol, I'm at that same res on a 24 inch monitor and I didn't even know that it was stretched lol

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Here's a related question:  Why does the -res flag in non-standard resolutions position the game in the upper-left corner of my screen instead of invoking the centering and black bands that my display uses for standard but non-native resolutions?  E.g the monitor is 1680x1050, and set to 1024x768 the game will run centered with the black bands that my display uses... but at 1365x1024 or 1400x1050, it defaults to upper-left corner with no black banding.

It's annoying.  I've tried both the nVidia scaling with locked aspect ratio and my monitor's built-in, which is the normal one I use.  Both generate this behaviour, and it seems confined to FSO.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If you don't want to run it in native resolution, why don't you just run it in windowed mode?  Or try enabling the fullscreen-window option, that might help.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Kolgena

Are the resolutions that put the image in the top left corner supported by your GPU? (ie, are they available as working desktop resolutions on Windows?)

If not, you'll need registry hacks to enable them proper, or avoid them altogether.