Author Topic: kkrieger, a shooter in 96k  (Read 5716 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
kkrieger, a shooter in 96k
Amazing what you can do with 96kB of code:

It's a sci-fi themed FPS shooter developed by some code wizards from the demo scene.
You can get the beta release of chapter 1 here: http://212.202.219.162/kkrieger#22.

You need a rather powerful system to run it decently though.

.kkrieger requires a relatively high-end machine to run properly. To be
precise:

- A 1.5GHz Pentium3/Athlon or faster.
- 512MB of RAM (or more)
- A Geforce4Ti (or higher) or ATI Radeon8500 (or higher) graphics card
  supporting pixel shaders 1.3, preferably with 128MB or more of VRAM.
- Some kind of sound hardware
- DirectX 9.0b

If you're interested how they squeeze the models and textures in that little code: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkrieger
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
Re: kkrieger, a shooter in 96k
Its been around a while but still its amazing how small it is
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

.theprodukkt are absolute geniuses. 
 :yes:

EDIT: I nearly forgot what that reminded me of:
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=482

Lunar Outpost in 4k!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:28:29 pm by fsi.scsi »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
rather impressive considering elite was 72k
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
impressive, not the greatest, but then what are you expecting out of 96k? It's quite good, reminds me of a 32bit quake2 with hdr.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its good for showcasing what can be done with procedural graphics alone. it eems the move to procedural is progressing along at a really fast rate, theese new multicore processors are really changing the way things are programmed. i forsee a future where modelers are useless.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Cool, but all I get on my machine is sound... the video doesn't show.  Oh, well, guess I'll have to wait for the full release. :sigh:
EDIT: Tried again, this time it worked for some reason... only thing I changed was that I had FRAPS running the second time, but I doubt that was the problem.  :D  Anyways, cool game, but I only got 7 fps, and the mouse couldn't be inverted, so it was kinda awkward...  96K, huh?  :eek:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 11:13:11 am by jr2 »

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Yeah, the mouse isn't inverted(hasn't anyone flown a flight sim before?...stupid question asking here of all places, apparently the developers haven't played flight sims). It has standard controls, except i couldn't crouch my dude with C button. I had slow framerates as well. And actually i checked out their site where they said they had some problems with kkreiger was on some ati radeon 9xxx cards slow frame rate and really dark picture, and on nvidia geforce 4 cards was slow framerate and really dark picture.
Of course i had the slow framerate and really dark picture until i killed a certain enemy and the framerate went up a lot. And this was with my mighty 7600gt.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
fps gamers are usually of the dumbed down variety and dunt understand what "pull up" means so im not supprised that its a point and click game.

but then again the game was designed to be as small as possible, that means not much room custom control code . notice the lack of config files. they just wanted something post players would be familiar with. in fps games people who play inverted are few and far between.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 09:39:35 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ya, I was lost without the mouse invert feature... kept staring at the ground!  :lol:  And with my BFG 6200OC 256 & Athlon XP 3200+ and 2GB RAM, I got about 9fps.  :sigh:

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Did you guys realize that any screenshots you take of the game are going to be bigger than the game itself.

SMBFD

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Until you re-compress them into JPG... depending on the options you use.  Here's compression level 15: (the default IIRC is 80) ... source BMP from FRAPS was 2.25 MB; I used IrfanView to save as JPG

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 09:08:50 am by jr2 »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Wow, this is very impressive. Many of the textures are larger than in most modern games and it still runs at a constant 85fps. The level is also much longer than I thought. Commercial game developers could stand to learn a few things from these guys.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:wtf: you get 85 fps!!  grrrr... :lol:

Offline miskat

Ran great on my Radeon 9550.  =)  Decent game, for 90k, but for some reason movement was a bit disorienting.  Graphics were great, but a little bland.

Modelers will never be useless.  Modeling will always provide better quality and less buggieness.  I mean, they even included special "spawn at" keys just so you could un-stick yourself if the collision code stuck you somewhere.

I liked the 96k music player/music better.  That was sweet.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
either way modeling will become much more technical. for example rather than moddeling a whole tree, you will model 3 or 4 leaves, a few twigs, a trunk, some brances, ect. and the game engine will assemble it for you, with suffieteint randomness as not too look like any other tree in the game.  rather than modeling a car or a ship, you would model car parts and ship parts, and the engine can assemble them on the fly. it just seems to be the way things will go right now.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline MarkN

I think you have it right there for objects Nuke, but environments will always be more difficult to procedurally model, and probably onl worth the effort for large (1000 sq. miles plus) outdoor environments.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Until you re-compress them into JPG... depending on the options you use.  Here's compression level 15: (the default IIRC is 80) ... source BMP from FRAPS was 2.25 MB; I used IrfanView to save as JPG

Of course if you want to cheat and make it smaller on purpose as opposed to not adding any compression......it's supposed to be depending on the options you wont use, image conversion is allowed, but not if you add any extra jpg compression.

SMBFD

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
By definition, converting to JPG is compressing a BMP (and converting it, of course).  :p  Default quality/compression setting is 80.

EDIT: :p Default quality (converted to JPG using MS pbrush, which has no settings for changing compression):

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 11:16:26 pm by jr2 »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

OK, who saw this coming?  :lol:

PS: I had to put a 1MB dummy file in there for VUZE to take it.