Author Topic: Mapping HUD elements onto named textures?  (Read 859 times)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Mapping HUD elements onto named textures?
This is mainly for people using 3D cockpits. The idea being their cockpit can have a texture called "radar" that gets textured with... (wait for it) the radar guage. Sound like a good idea to anyone?

I'm not particularly pushing for this just thinking out loud. Although I have seen people starting to use 3D cockpits and this seems like like the next obvious development in that direction.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Mapping HUD elements onto named textures?
Originally posted by IPAndrews
This is mainly for people using 3D cockpits. The idea being their cockpit can have a texture called "radar" that gets textured with... (wait for it) the radar guage. Sound like a good idea to anyone?

I'm not particularly pushing for this just thinking out loud. Although I have seen people starting to use 3D cockpits and this seems like like the next obvious development in that direction.

IIRC

There's a render-to-texture feature that can be used, but only if the engine is changed to DirectX 9.0something... I'm not sure about the OpenGL equivalent.  

I think anything else would require a lot of work with the existing texture loading code to support 'controlled' cockpit gauge textures.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Mapping HUD elements onto named textures?
As I understand it, the HUD draw code and the model render code are entirely different and have nothing to do with each other.  To make them interact would require ripping the whole HUD code out and starting again from scratch.  It makes better sense for modders to just leave a space on their cockpit models where the rader could nicely fit when drawn the normal way.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
-C