Hosted Projects - Standalone > Fate of the Galaxy

Rogue One and FotG (spoilers!)

(1/6) > >>

CountBuggula:
Due to requests in the other Rogue One thread, and in an effort to keep them separate for those who want to continue reading that thread and haven't seen the movie yet, I'm opening up discussion here for how it directly affects Fate of the Galaxy in general.  Note that this is NOT a place to discuss the movie itself, the plot, how much you did or didn't like it, what they did right or wrong, etc.  Please do that in the General Discussion thread.

Dain:
So I had a bunch of thoughts as there is so much cool starfighter action in there but immediate thing that springs to mind

Y-wings coming full circle as bombers? What was the first EU that decided they were bombers? Was it the west end RPG? Because in the original movies we have no indication of them being the slow, tough bombers that they became in the EU, they zoomed about just as fast as other ships and did no bombing. It's funny how now we have a film with them doing a significant amount of bombing.

(I have to confess, giving Y-wings a "hero" moment was something I vaguely hoped for in R1, so I was very pleased to see gold squadron have a few things to do)

Also canonising stuff like ion torpedoes.. that whole thing could have come right out of one of the X-wing games. So Ion torpedoes as a weapon in FOTG?

zookeeper:

--- Quote from: Dain on December 22, 2016, 11:59:29 am ---So I had a bunch of thoughts as there is so much cool starfighter action in there but immediate thing that springs to mind

Y-wings coming full circle as bombers? What was the first EU that decided they were bombers? Was it the west end RPG? Because in the original movies we have no indication of them being the slow, tough bombers that they became in the EU, they zoomed about just as fast as other ships and did no bombing. It's funny how now we have a film with them doing a significant amount of bombing.
--- End quote ---

Well, the Y-wings in ANH are heavy, sluggish, all get shot down, and don't do any dogfighting or really any manouvers at all. They always seemed clearly like bombers to me because of that. In RotJ they're more like just another fighter, although they still don't do anything fancy.

CountBuggula:

--- Quote from: Dain on December 22, 2016, 11:59:29 am ---So I had a bunch of thoughts as there is so much cool starfighter action in there but immediate thing that springs to mind

(I have to confess, giving Y-wings a "hero" moment was something I vaguely hoped for in R1, so I was very pleased to see gold squadron have a few things to do)

Also canonising stuff like ion torpedoes.. that whole thing could have come right out of one of the X-wing games. So Ion torpedoes as a weapon in FOTG?

--- End quote ---

I think I'm pretty happy with where we have Y-Wings currently in terms of performance.  They're much faster and more maneuverable than in the X-Wing games (well, everything is) but have a decent payload capability and work well as fighter/bombers or attack craft.  I think we'll definitely have to find a way to implement Ion Torpedoes as shown in the movie.  We have mag pulse missiles currently but they're only effective against starfighters and rather limited at that.

niffiwan:

--- Quote from: zookeeper on December 22, 2016, 12:27:59 pm ---Well, the Y-wings in ANH are heavy, sluggish, all get shot down,

--- End quote ---

Sorry, nitpick, one survives :)

https://youtu.be/qniy8aDSFLA?t=29

But otherwise I agree, I don't recall them firing their lasers at all.

We might now have a case for a minor tweak to allow Y-wings to carry freefall bombs, just not sure if we need to implement the TIE bomber alt-view for that mode or not, maybe in general, but not for the Rebel campaign since there's no missions with that sort of bombing in them?

I guess Ion torpedoes could be implemented with the electronics flag, and possibly tweak some other settings so the effect lasts longer than the default 7 secs.

I also noted the use of TIE shuttles for boarding, I guess the movie makers didn't want to canonise the DX-9? Not sure we'd want to change much here apart from the TIE shuttle fluff.

It'd be interesting to have the U-wing as the Rebel equivalent of the DX9 / TIE shuttle, but I don't recall seeing it used for space to space troop transport, only space to ground. The hatches seem designed around ground access as well, I don't suppose anyone has seen pics which show any sort of forcible entry docking collar or similar?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version