Author Topic: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging  (Read 98392 times)

Offline redmagejoe

• Rage Mage of Ill Fated Gaming
    • Steam
Re: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging
Ooh, and here I thought that was intentional nod to the GTD Legion. To make me question (as I did) what it was doing there. :P
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Available for Voice Acting work!
Email me: [email protected]
Steam me: redmagejoe

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Nah, the GTD Legion off in the distance was our intentional nod to the GTD Legion. :p

Offline starlord

Just remembered that someone made lot a long time ago a very small minicampaign centered on the battle of Deneb and the loss of the legion. Trying to remember the name…

EDIT: got it: legion’s demise.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 03:54:28 pm by starlord »

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
[insert "WHO SUMMONED ME!?" meme here]

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94256.msg1859882;topicseen#msg1859882

It's a bit outdated, made before Knossos became mainstream, so it would need some tinkering to work, and the writing's not that good. But it's still available.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
All this expanded continuity talk and chatter about old passion projects is making me super energized for the next several streams. I cannot tell you guys just how hyped I am to be doing FreeSpace 2 tomorrow, and I'm getting really excited about playing some of your campaigns when I finish. I've only scratched the surface of some of them. To date, I've only played the first mission of Ancient-Shivan War, I've played Goober's Ross 128, and I've played through a bit of Vassago's Dirge. Cannot wait to take the full dive into all of them on stream.

Also, if you haven't already, I hope you guys will tell all your chums to tune into the stream. Hoping to share my passion for FS2 with way more and hopefully have a lot more chatter to engage with. In case it hasn't already become apparent, I can ramble for hours on end about things I'm passionate about. :D
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Woke up early. Couldn't sleep in. Too hyped. I'm going to try to organize the tumble-dryer full of tennis balls that is my mind right now so that all my excitable 11-year-old me nostalgia nuggets can be channeled into some sort of cohesive monologue.

Hope to see everyone at the stream.

EDIT: Minor urgent issue. I cannot get the FreeSpace 2 intro cutscene to play, through vanilla (without Knossos) or Retail in Knossos or upgrade. I'm reinstalling from CD, but does anyone know what might cause this issue? Launching the game jumps straight to pilot select, and trying to play from the Tech Room causes a brief cut to black before returning immediately to the Tech Room. It's almost as if it can't find the file.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:59:50 am by redmagejoe »
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Hey there, I just happened to come around before the stream and had a moment to post.

Firstly I just need to say that it's been a lot of fun to be around and laugh at your reactions, random stuff happening ingame and cringe a bit at the gameplay :P (nah that's fine, I'm just a person terminally glued to Insane difficulty)

As for the campaigns, I guess I can share a bit of experiences.

Generally speaking, mods rarely have functional voice acting in place. As for the gameplay, there is a quite noticeable trend in the old mods (that weren't upgraded much by now) that their gameplay is often seen as quite a bit tedious - not to offend the modders of old, but back then the idea of more content did consist in a significant part from more shooting, which was done by sending more enemy waves. I think it's a thing worth considering later on.

As for the list, a couple corrections. One, Solaris is a fully independent universe from Freespace. Basically the only thing it shares with Freespace is the engine. Which in no way detracts from the experience, of course.
Aftermath Reboot takes place 7 years after FS2... it even has a massive banner with that written lol
Aftermath Reboot 2 is known to have been... problematic with its balance. I think someone who has played both parts recently should stand up and comment on how both are feasible to play right now.

Also, your list mixes in a lot of different types of works. There are massive mods (Blue Planet, Aftermath Reboot, Ancient-Shivan War) that consist of similar amounts or more content than FS1 or FS2, and there's a bunch of minicampaigns (for example Walls Closing, or Eyebleach) that are only 4 missions long. And of course a bunch of things in between. But I guess the decisions will come up when you're progressively pushing through the content.

Another important part regarding mods is about copyright issues regarding their music. I'm not sure how that applies to streams, but I vaguely recall that for example, Vassago's Dirge music was at some point copyrighted which resulted in people needing to take down their gameplay videos, or something along the lines. Someone more competent in this regard would need to speak up but I'd like to mention this right now, to keep in mind for later.

As for different mods, remember that there are total conversions - which take place in a different universe than Freespace. Beyond the Red Line, Diaspora and Adversary are from Battlestar Galactica, there's Wing Commander Saga, The Babylon Project and something more that escapes me at the moment. There's also a custom universe of The Antagonist and Burning Heaven which both are quite interesting and even voice acted.

Also there are a couple mods that make significant changes to how you play the game as a whole. There's of course Trimurti because Shivans and gameplay more on instinct than anything else There's Bem Cavalgar, which I hear has a massive factor of resource management between missions and making tradeoffs. A couple other things you could try later on are SHUMPspace (a 2D scroll shooter) and Windmills (a strategy game inside Freespace). There are some mods that in some place give you control over a capital ship, too. Of course there's a bunch of other things you can try which I forgot or never known about. :P

Beyond that, HLP has a Discord server which I would encourage you to take a peek at. There's a lot of activity in there, an actual announcement system for new mod updates, and I think you could count on some mod dev joining up to provide some developer commentary while at that.

Re: issue - try navigating to MediaVPs mod tile, extending the dropdown menu, hitting "Modify", marking all packages and letting Knossos download them. There's a couple of packages with cutscenes and I guess this could possibly help.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Reinstalling fixed the cutscene issue running from disc. I wonder if the "no CD patch" I used caused the problem, so I'm hesitant to use it again. That said, I don't want to pop in the disc every time I want to run it even through Knossos, which I think is what caused me to go the "no CD patch" route initially. Now I just have to get it to work through Knossos, Retail or MediaVPs... Do I need to have it reacquire the base VPs from my new install?

Anyone have a recommended no CD patch rather than one from some skeevy random site?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 08:12:06 am by redmagejoe »
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

I don't think you need anything CD related after you install Freespace Open. FSO becomes its own separate thing when it's set up and it should function regardless of the state of retail FS2 or any disks.

Also upon inspection I found out I had the same issue and here's my fix: navigate to your retail FS2 installation/data2, copy Intro.mve from there, navigate to <your Knossos mod library>/FS2/MVPS-4.4.2/data/movies and paste it in there. The rest of the cutscenes were to my knowledge already remade by MjnMixael and are provided with the MediaVPs.

Edit: fixed MVPS version mentioned. But generally just copy that into the latest MVPS you have.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 08:19:12 am by Mito [PL] »
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Thank you for your information, Mito! I'll try to bring some of it up during the stream. For reasons I'd rather not get into, I don't use Discord, but I appreciate the invitation. The additional voices you'll hear in streams sometime are on my TeamSpeak server.

I'll also try to figure out how I'm going to work around the copyright issues if they come up during the stream scheduling.

I cannot seem to find a data2 folder or Intro.mve anywhere. Am I going to need to rip that from one of my discs? Yep, found it on disc 2. I also got it working for "Retail FS2" through Knossos by copying it into Knossos/library/data/movies. Should that directory be empty? Do I have to rip all the movies from the disc and put them there if I wanted to play Retail FS2 with no mods?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 08:31:57 am by redmagejoe »
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

If you want to have this cutscene in "Retail FS2" provided by Knossos, just copy the file into <mod library>/FS2/data/movies - create the movies directory if there isn't one.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline starlord

Also, a campaign named Mantle is a must. Iirc the only campaign so far where you play from the perspective of a HOL pilot.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
'stahmps

Hidden Text: Show
0:00:00 - Pre-Stream Banter
0:06:57 - Original FreeSpace 2 CD set reveal
0:08:18 - Pre-Stream Banter (Cont.)
0:13:05 - Cutscene: FreeSpace 2 Intro
0:20:44 - 53rd Hammerheads introduction
0:26:18 - Mission #1: Surrender, Belisarius!
0:40:38 - Mission #2: The Place of Chariots
0:51:09 - Mission #3: The Romans Blunder
1:08:56 - 107th Ravens introduction
1:15:45 - Mission #4: A Lion at the Door
1:45:05 - Mission #5: Mystery of the Trinity
2:18:24 - Cutscene: Bosch Monologue 1
2:20:14 - Mission #6: The Great Hunt
2:32:10 - Mission #7: Slaying Ravana
2:41:57 - 242nd Suicide Kings introduction
2:47:26 - Mission #8: The Sixth Wonder
3:02:20 - Cutscene: GTVA Colossus
3:04:45 - Mission #9: Into the Maelstrom
3:23:03 - Mission #10: Feint! Parry! Riposti!
4:01:24 - Post-Stream Banter

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I took the time to grab some screens of the great text bits from the Colossus movie for everyone's perusal.

https://imgur.com/a/wm7czJe
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
I remember the fun I had writing the blueprint text while progressively going crazier over several bottles of beer and the fact that Volition insisted on highlighting the Colossus' antenna in every blueprint.

Read them in order and you can see me slowly losing my mind trying to describe it.

Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Redmagejoe, have you played the FreeSpace 2 Demo?  It has two missions that were made by Volition but aren't part of the main campaign.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I have not, but if/when I decide to tackle the single missions of FreeSpace 1 / Silent Threat / FreeSpace 2 GOTY, I may do that. If I end up having the FreeSpace 2 series last stream run really short, I could maybe do some of that. I'm trying to find a good place to nestle those missions I really want to do in.

I may actually dedicate an entire session to these missions as well, as I've been contacted by the creator of Memories of the Great War about my timeline on it. I believe that he's refurbishing it and it would be ideal that it's ready by the time I do my playthrough. I'd like to work with him on that, so July 18th's session is tentative as to what it will be about.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 08:45:58 am by redmagejoe »
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

I think it is worth to mention that at this point in time Exile, as great of a play as it is, is being rewritten by Su-Tehp. I think it'd be nice to know of the timeline on this too, because if the end of the works is close by, maybe it'd be worth to wait a bit on that.

Also, to add to your list: Sol: A History is a great campaign that works as a prequel for Inferno. Takes place over the course of events starting from the last mission of FS1 and ending a bit after FS2, I think.

Edit: also, a couple resources I'd like to link to you. One, the Colossus cutscene text crowdsourcing, two, the Colossus cutscene logos crowdsourcing, three, HLP Wiki screenshot repository. There's also a bunch of screenshot contest topics.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 02:12:58 pm by Mito [PL] »
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I'll hold off on sticking Exile in the list then until I can potentially get a rough timeline from Su-Tehp. :)
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline CT27

Hey there, I just happened to come around before the stream and had a moment to post.

Firstly I just need to say that it's been a lot of fun to be around and laugh at your reactions, random stuff happening ingame and cringe a bit at the gameplay :P (nah that's fine, I'm just a person terminally glued to Insane difficulty)

As for the campaigns, I guess I can share a bit of experiences.

Generally speaking, mods rarely have functional voice acting in place. As for the gameplay, there is a quite noticeable trend in the old mods (that weren't upgraded much by now) that their gameplay is often seen as quite a bit tedious - not to offend the modders of old, but back then the idea of more content did consist in a significant part from more shooting, which was done by sending more enemy waves. I think it's a thing worth considering later on.

As for the list, a couple corrections. One, Solaris is a fully independent universe from Freespace. Basically the only thing it shares with Freespace is the engine. Which in no way detracts from the experience, of course.
Aftermath Reboot takes place 7 years after FS2... it even has a massive banner with that written lol
Aftermath Reboot 2 is known to have been... problematic with its balance. I think someone who has played both parts recently should stand up and comment on how both are feasible to play right now.

Also, your list mixes in a lot of different types of works. There are massive mods (Blue Planet, Aftermath Reboot, Ancient-Shivan War) that consist of similar amounts or more content than FS1 or FS2, and there's a bunch of minicampaigns (for example Walls Closing, or Eyebleach) that are only 4 missions long. And of course a bunch of things in between. But I guess the decisions will come up when you're progressively pushing through the content.

Another important part regarding mods is about copyright issues regarding their music. I'm not sure how that applies to streams, but I vaguely recall that for example, Vassago's Dirge music was at some point copyrighted which resulted in people needing to take down their gameplay videos, or something along the lines. Someone more competent in this regard would need to speak up but I'd like to mention this right now, to keep in mind for later.

As for different mods, remember that there are total conversions - which take place in a different universe than Freespace. Beyond the Red Line, Diaspora and Adversary are from Battlestar Galactica, there's Wing Commander Saga, The Babylon Project and something more that escapes me at the moment. There's also a custom universe of The Antagonist and Burning Heaven which both are quite interesting and even voice acted.

Also there are a couple mods that make significant changes to how you play the game as a whole. There's of course Trimurti because Shivans and gameplay more on instinct than anything else There's Bem Cavalgar, which I hear has a massive factor of resource management between missions and making tradeoffs. A couple other things you could try later on are SHUMPspace (a 2D scroll shooter) and Windmills (a strategy game inside Freespace). There are some mods that in some place give you control over a capital ship, too. Of course there's a bunch of other things you can try which I forgot or never known about. :P

Beyond that, HLP has a Discord server which I would encourage you to take a peek at. There's a lot of activity in there, an actual announcement system for new mod updates, and I think you could count on some mod dev joining up to provide some developer commentary while at that.

Re: issue - try navigating to MediaVPs mod tile, extending the dropdown menu, hitting "Modify", marking all packages and letting Knossos download them. There's a couple of packages with cutscenes and I guess this could possibly help.

Initially, The Blue Guardian (aka Aftermath 2) was a lot more difficult.  However, the most recent update Herkie made to it reduced the difficulty noticeably.  It's still a bit harder than Aftermath:  Reboot, but more manageable now.  I've played both and would say they're playable now.

As for a couple minor details (to you and redmagejoe):

Aftermath:  Reboot begins in 2370, three years after Capella/FS2.  I haven't seen any banners that say seven years whereas most of the ones I've seen say three.  That's how Herkie intended it anyways.

Aftermath 2:  The Blue Guardian starts about six months after the end of Aftermath:  Reboot.  In terms of the overall timeline (in reference to FS2), it takes place in 2372 which would be about five years after FS2.