Author Topic: gamepads  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The four face buttons as the C-buttons, and the bumpers or triggers as A and B?

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
My cheap aftermarket PS3 controller was plug and play with Windows 7 and 8. Works just fine.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

triggers in use as Z and R, the bumpers are pretty awkward for the two main buttons.  right now i've got A and B at A and X.  B and Y are two of the C buttons and the bumpers the others.  i'm probably going to end up with game specific profiles.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Motion joy remapper.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

triggers in use as Z and R, the bumpers are pretty awkward for the two main buttons.  right now i've got A and B at A and X.  B and Y are two of the C buttons and the bumpers the others.  i'm probably going to end up with game specific profiles.
D-pad as C buttons, man. Nobody uses the N64 controller's actual d-pad. Plus, you can always map the right analogue stick as your d-pad for the handful that does.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
that was my first thought, but games use the C buttons and the control stick at the same time.  i've settled on using the right stick for C in some games and shuffling two extra normal buttons and bumpers as required for the rest.

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
that was my first thought, but games use the C buttons and the control stick at the same time.  i've settled on using the right stick for C in some games and shuffling two extra normal buttons and bumpers as required for the rest.
Here's how I do it.
LStick - Stick
A - A
X - B
RStick - C Buttons
Dpad - Dpad
LTrigger - Z
Shoulder Buttons - L & R
Start - Start

Now what would be really cool is if there was a pad just like the 360's pad, except with SIX buttons. (A, B, C, X, Y, and Z)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
so the trigger buttons actually act as axes, and therefore can't be used at the same time.  this upsets me and complicates control schemes.  maybe it's time i looked for a new emulator.  the more i use P64, the more stuff i find wrong with it.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
So... don't use the trigger buttons and use the bumpers
Hell, I hate using the triggers (L2 R2) as main buttons personally. L1 and R1 is where it's at for me

Unless of course, L1 and R1 are what you were referring to in the first place
Which would be odd, because those shouldn't be an axis button
"No"

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i need both.  the bumpers are used for C buttons.  it's too hard to use the right control stick for the c buttons and not hit in between and register both.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
i need both.  the bumpers are used for C buttons.  it's too hard to use the right control stick for the c buttons and not hit in between and register both.

Where's an old school joystick movement limiter when ya need one?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You could probably whip one up out of cardboard easily enough.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

Really?
Well, alright then
"No"

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
so the trigger buttons actually act as axes, and therefore can't be used at the same time.  this upsets me and complicates control schemes.  maybe it's time i looked for a new emulator.  the more i use P64, the more stuff i find wrong with it.
I have never had this problem; which version of P64 are you running?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

IIRC it is a problem with the Xbox controller itself.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I have never had this problem; which version of P64 are you running?

as far as i know, the latest, but i'm going to go check that now.  yeah, it's mostly a result of the controller, but P64 could probably make them function as a button if it wanted to.  of course it would be much easier if that were an option i could set in the controller drivers.

e: oh hey, check that out.  new versions.  let's see if this helps.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:09:40 pm by Klaustrophobia »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
IIRC it is a problem with the Xbox controller itself.

some idiot at microsoft had the bright idea to combine the two axes because they would always be off center in their rest state, and they had this notion that axes needed to have centers. other stick manufactures use non-centered axes all the time without issue (such as the breaks on my ch pedals and every throttle ever made). i personally have always hated the xbox360 controller and its ****ty xinput api.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
new P64 version didn't help, still only recognizes as axis. :(

ya know, i'm kinda surprised no one has made a n64 replica PC controller.  or at least a functional replica, we don't need to copy that three prong retardation.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
new P64 version didn't help, still only recognizes as axis. :(

ya know, i'm kinda surprised no one has made a n64 replica PC controller.  or at least a functional replica, we don't need to copy that three prong retardation.

http://www.adaptoid.com/

i always hated n64 controllers. like they were designed for an alien with 3 hands.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
*UPDATE* April 30th, 2008

yeah, don't think that took off.   besides that also leaves the problem of needing an original n64 controller in working order.  those damn joysticks never last very long.  nice idea though.