Author Topic: gamepads  (Read 4699 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I'm looking for opinions and recommendations for PC gamepads, more specifically to be used with emulators.  Primarily project 64.  My first thought was just to get an xbox controller, but thinking back to the last time I played xbox (a LONG time ago), the controllers had pretty stiff joysticks and heavy button presses.  I know there are some emulator players around here, what do you/have you used?  Am I probably better off with a logitech/some other specific PC controller?  Maybe even a PS3?  I'm not crazy about the layout having both joysticks down low, I prefer the left one up higher like on the xbox and gamecube controllers.

I can get an xbox controller for $25 off of newegg right now.  Another possible benefit to that is that my PC version of halo 2 just might be playable with the xbox controller, since the "port" for the pc was essentially a REALLY ****ty job of using the mouse/keyboard as an emulated xbox controller.  I guess the main info I'm looking for is if anyone has experience with using one for emulators and can tell me that I SHOULDN'T get one, or there is a different controller that is enormously better that I should get instead (and isn't really expensive).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:06:10 pm by Klaustrophobia »
I like to stare at the sun.

I use a Logitech RumblePad2 for all my gamepad needs, and there's an easy-to-use program that gets games to think it is an Xbox controller which I forgot the name of.  I find it easy to use, but that's just because I've been using the Dual Shock design since the first model for the PSX.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i for one think that m$ need to get that ****ty xbox input api the **** out of my windows. im sick and tired of games not supporting my native usb hid class sticks out of the box without another piece of middleware that adds latency to the whole system.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Just grab a PS3 or Xbox 360 controller

PS3 will require the DS3 tool driver though. Easy enough to setup
"No"

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'm looking for opinions and recommendations for PC gamepads, more specifically to be used with emulators.  Primarily project 64.  My first thought was just to get an xbox controller, but thinking back to the last time I played xbox (a LONG time ago), the controllers had pretty stiff joysticks and heavy button presses.  I know there are some emulator players around here, what do you/have you used?  Am I probably better off with a logitech/some other specific PC controller?  Maybe even a PS3?  I'm not crazy about the layout having both joysticks down low, I prefer the left one up higher like on the xbox and gamecube controllers.

The original Xbox controller has gone the way of the dodo, with the "Japanese" sized version becoming the mainstay for following versions (namely Xbox 360 and probably also the X-one). It comes with padded 'sticks with a lighter spring on both, and the buttons are for the most part manageable. They moved the white and black buttons to above the triggers, similar to how Sony's Playstation controllers have been.

A chief advantage the PS3 controller has over Xbox 360 is the inclusion of a 3-axis accelerometer and a gyro, which would allow you to use the controller as a flight yoke if you had drivers that would allow for it. DS3's drivers so far have not allowed me to calibrate the axes to allow for driving mode/flight yoke mode, but they may have done an update since I was last able to check.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

I use a USB XBOX 360 controller for everything that works better with gamepads. No complaints at all.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
On PC, the easiest and most widely supported pad is the 360 one, which is rather excellent. Getting the Dualshock 3 to work is something of a hassle, and I wouldn't recommend it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I don't use any emulators but I do use Xbox 360 controller occasionally.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
On PC, the easiest and most widely supported pad is the 360 one, which is rather excellent. Getting the Dualshock 3 to work is something of a hassle, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Considering you can mask your Dualshock as an Xbox 360 controller, I disagree with the statement
"No"

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Does it require the never-to-be-sufficiently-cursed abomination of UI design called MotionInJoy? Seriously, that program was written by someone with little to no clue regarding proper user interfaces, and is determined to serve ads all over the place unless put into an offline mode (Yes, by default, this piece of **** requires a net connection to work).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Patriot

Now that we're on the topic, i'm wondering if i can use my wireless 360 controller via the USB port of my pc with the play and charge wire.

Anyone ever tried it or knows anything about it?

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I'm going to go ahead with the xbox controller.

and Patriot, I don't see why not.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
Does it require the never-to-be-sufficiently-cursed abomination of UI design called MotionInJoy? Seriously, that program was written by someone with little to no clue regarding proper user interfaces, and is determined to serve ads all over the place unless put into an offline mode (Yes, by default, this piece of **** requires a net connection to work).

Yes, I am referring to that
However, I've never really cared. I start it up, click enable, and minimize it. Anything other than that is simply irrelevant to what the purpose of it is

As for default net connection, anyone around here *not* usually connected to the internet?
"No"

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I just want to point out that DS3 is only needed to configure the PS3 controller and provide the middleware needed for the OS system to recognize it as a HID. I've been able to, on several occasions, use the PS3 controller without needing to boot up DS3 at all.

But yeah, its UI sucks a big one.  :nono:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I use dualshock3, motionjoy enables wireless connection over Bluetooth. A Bluetooth adapter is ridiculously cheap.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/download
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I use dualshock3, motionjoy enables wireless connection over Bluetooth. A Bluetooth adapter is ridiculously cheap.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

Hi Dekker, Have you read the post 2 up from yours????

Yes, I am referring to that
However, I've never really cared. I start it up, click enable, and minimize it. Anything other than that is simply irrelevant to what the purpose of it is

As for default net connection, anyone around here *not* usually connected to the internet?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I should've TLDR'd it...
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It should be noted that it is entirely possible to use an offline version of MotionInJoy that doesn't have ads; it's what I use.

And yes, I also run in 360 emulation mode most of the time, so as to take advantage of all these modern PC games having native 360 controller support.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline LHN91

Just to answer Patriot's question - wireless 360 controllers only work with a proprietary Microsoft USB receiver shipped with "360 for Windows" controllers. Though 3rd party receivers exist. Not sure where to get them.

Also, another one for just using a 360 controller for the game pad. Simplest setup, easily supported in most emulators too.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
360 controller arrived today.  feels good.  now i just wish there was some decent way of mapping A, B, and the C buttons for the N64 controller at the same time. :(