Author Topic: Cain strikes back - WIP  (Read 105491 times)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Re: Cain strikes back - WIP
Though it seems a little grainy
I agree, it does look grainy, and ingame with some aliasting it will look worse... I suggest merging some of the smaller details into bigger ones(red glows for instance), Cain isn't a huge ship and most of the time you don't see it fill up the whole screen...
apart from that, everything looks beautiful :D

We should wait and see how it looks glow/shine-mapped. As-is, it looks too dark, but we should see it under normal lighting.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
The brown texture in the teardrop looks like wood, which probably doesn't quite fit. But apart from that, it's jawdroppingly beautiful.

Its the Cain XLE model, hence the wood grain.  It also comes with a GPS and bluetooth.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The brown texture in the teardrop looks like wood, which probably doesn't quite fit. But apart from that, it's jawdroppingly beautiful.
Its the Cain XLE model, hence the wood grain.  It also comes with a GPS and bluetooth.
No touchscreen? :no:

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Screw that, where's my internet access? :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That only comes standard on the Lilith. :p

Though it seems a little grainy
I agree, it does look grainy, and ingame with some aliasting it will look worse... I suggest merging some of the smaller details into bigger ones(red glows for instance), Cain isn't a huge ship and most of the time you don't see it fill up the whole screen...
apart from that, everything looks beautiful :D

i noticed this with textures for the hercules mark 2 and erinyes. a good example to follow would be the texture for the htl valkyrie model.

i noticed this with textures for the hercules mark 2 and erinyes. a good example to follow would be the texture for the htl valkyrie model.
Hell, no. That's what makes the Herc and Eri look metallic. The Valkyrie is a bit plastic-like without that surface finish IMHO

without friction from the heavy concentration of molecules and elements in space, metal would not wear down as if oxidizing and eroding. i think the valkyrie armor has the look of smoothness, but that's why the details show up better.

unless you're viewing something really close up, those metal grains should not appear so distinct. i'd like to think the metal chassis on the ships are more or less smooth to the touch as portrayed in the ship selection animations. that is the ideal vision, imo.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Rule of Cool invoked.

(or in this case, aesthetics)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I don't think many of us on the HLP are qualified to determine the effects of "space" on a ship hull.

First, redox reactions don't necessarily occur only in the presence of oxygen, remember. Flying through nebula could indeed prove to be rather corrosive depending on the composition of the nebula. If it's somehow possible that you could have a nebula consisting of only fluorine... good God, that would be murder!  :lol:

Next, radiation would certainly damage hull materials over time... at least the paint.  :p And don't leave small, very high velocity free particles that might damage or adhere to a ship hull.

...In short, I'm quite confident that there's a great deal of junk in space to "dirty-up" a ship. Heck, there's a good possibility the ship itself might do that for itself!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

it may be a perspective thing. a good example is a ship's hull. unless you get very close up, the rivets, bumps and plates aren't even visible. the hercules mark 2 has a grain texture that is too noisy. if it is possible to reduce the grain size, i think it'll look better. but that may be moot because when the grain becomes that small and shallow it's as if the surface is smooth again.

i don't know what exactly it is about the valkyrie's armor, but i think the details were concentrated on the various inlets, plate divisions and made to conform to the model itself. it's interesting people say the valkyrie looks like a toy. i agree there is a rubber/plastic appearance to its surface, but if you look at a picture of a jet or something, it also has a rubber-like finish:

http://budgetinsight.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/jsf-in-flight.jpg

again, i think it's the grain size and depth. imo the artists for the hercules mark 2 and the erinyes went a little overboard with them.

Offline Solatar

Rule of Cool invoked.

(or in this case, aesthetics)

QFT

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
SCREW REALISM.

Grain looks good on the Herc 2.
The plastic look on the HTL Valk makes it look...lame.

End of story. I don't want anything look realistic. I want gritty and dirty!

Also, you have to realize we have visible, subluminal lasers, a mystical alternate dimension, space friction, and capital ships that go slower than cars! Space dirt is the least of your realism worries, when they could have easily accumulated during servicing, collisions, etc.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 05:55:22 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Kolgena

What's to say that the grain didn't get burned into the ship by sitting in the engine wash/blind spot of cap ships to pull off free shots? ;)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
There's only one way to finish this argument...

HERRA!!!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

http://s128.hotfile.com/get/a726fe4d358c9d9fa72cbc54ddf74f0e85d3a942/4b09f9c4/256/30b7d6c8085c20e8/0/Naumachia_Gallery.cbr

some screenshots from an independently developed game called naumachia. don't worry about weird file name, you can open it with winrar.

the ships exhibit the minimalistic approach i mentioned in regards to texture. at first glance it looks like maybe the ship is just using solid colors as textures(with high detail normals to offset the blandness), but then you notice(like on the valkyrie), it does in fact have metal and wear effects. it's most prominent when there's specular glare, since the screens are somewhat small.

also, my suggestion isn't all about realism, i think it's more about aesthetics. when you clump too many things together on a small object, it can be overwhelming. on capital ships i can see how there would be larger dimples and scratches since they are proportionally much larger and you get to fly very close to the surface. on smaller ships, the nicks and whatnot make it look like the ship was put through a giant sander.

also, some of the ships look really dark and are vulnerable to moire effects with all the excessive grain. matter of preference i guess.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Bah, comparing FS2 ships to present day products of aerospace industry is very moot. The surface of airplanes is smooth because it produces predictable laminar flow of air. No need for that on space. The surface textures can be whatever is easiest to make, so if Herc 2 uses some specific armour material that naturally has a grainy surface like that, there's really no need to use too much effort to smooth it away is there?

And no, the F-35 doesn't have rubber-like finish, just matte paint on the surface, which is either aluminium or composite material.

To me, FS2 is one of the games where I don't really ultimately care what is realistic and what is not. Sure, if realistic looks good and works as good or better than unrealistic ones, then I prefer that. But in cases like this, looks are all that matter to me. Mainly because we can't really know what would constitute as "realistic" in an ultimately very unrealistic game, which means that calling something unrealistic on real-world basis like the presented argument of airplanes being smooth makes no sense at all.

Of course, FSU team is open to new stuff. If you think you can make a better Herc 2 texture, do it and show it to us. If enough people like it, it might be included in the following MediaVP's. If not, alternate textures are still useful because it really is unrealistic to assume all ships of same type would have exactly same finish and painting. It's very unlikely all Herc 2's come from the exact same assembly line. There are bound to be slightly different developement versions, different subcontractors, different batches of surface materials and such
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline -Norbert-

If you say that in FS2 there is no way to get a fighter dirty in space you forget the way asteroid fields and nebulas are!
The nebulas are dense enough to create swirls beind hard edges like wingtips. More than enough matter to dirty and erode a fighter in space if you ask me.

Besides, they are stored away inside the ship, including atmoshphere and moistrue.

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
Why Cain should be grainy, dirty and dark?

Because its an OLD ship probably most of them remember Lucifers first flight around Ancients home world.  4000 years of work it CAN get dirty. I don't know how about you but I don't see Shivan cleaning up Cain because someone scratched the paint.

Offline rbxplayer

• A bit tight with RL at the moment
You just gave the perfect answer :D
Ijja l-mewt li taghmilna bnedmin jew l-imhabba?