Author Topic: New Staff Required  (Read 12089 times)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Freders (4 positions)

We need freders of reasonable experience to help with the completion of the main campaign. They need to be able to use our old SCP version of FRED* and be familiar with SCP Sexps and features. I expect mission designers to test their own work for little mistakes before giving it out to the testers (see below)

*note we now have an untested new build of FRED, and so will be using both a really old build and this 'bit buggy' build.

Designers will be expected to send a sample mission to me. I'd prefer a sample mission sent by PM and the mission should use INFR1 SCP and not normal FS2. There's no specifics for the mission.

Full Testers (4 positions)

These testers are full members of staff and are not 'beta testers'
They will be expected to test out all the mods to find any errors or problems with them. This will include testing official campaign missions, as well as making your own test missions. They must be willing to go bug hunting for minor things. This isn't a random playtest, if we find something that can be a problem I expect the testers to hunt it down to see if it is a problem. I expect them to work together to comfirm bugs and problems as well as to try and come up with suggestions or a solution to fix them. There will be 2 members with 'low end' pcs, 1 middle, and 1 high end. Specs for each position will follow:

Low End:
500-800 Mhz CPU | 128-256 MB Ram | 32-64 MB T&L gfx card (TNT2 - GeForce 2/4MX)

Middle:
1-1,8 Ghz CPU | 256-512 MB Ram | 64-128 MB DX8 or DX9 generation gfx Card (GeForce 3 - GeForce 4 minus the MXs or ATI 7000 - 9600)

High End:
2 Ghz+ CPU | 512-1024 MB Ram+ | 128-256 MB+ DX9 gfx card

General Staff Criteria:

All people wishing to become Inferno staff must also:

Be able to download a very large modpack (Staff pack is around 150mb right now, if you can't download it (it's in smaller chunks of around 40mb IIRC) then don't apply.

Have time to perform the work (I don't want people who 'might' be able to help as they usually waste our time. I don't mind if they work on multiple projects as long as I don't have to wait several months before they can do anything)

Visit the forums regulary (Most contact will be through the internal forum)

I may take on more people if we get too much interest for specific positions. Though I doubt that will happen :p

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Edit:
Never mind, I've got the patch and R1 working properly in FRED. Expect a poorly tested sample tomorrow or day-after :P
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 05:45:53 am by 1259 »
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Kie99

I'll definately become a tester if you want, and I'll send you a mission soon.

PS. I fill all the requirements as a FREDder and tester.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 11:26:54 am by 1934 »
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Full Testers (4 positions)

Shame that I'am too busy and already working in 4 project but if you really need help maybe i can help very little
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 10:26:34 am by 153 »
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline brugger

I would like to help out as a freder, I just got the patch working and I'll have a mission ready to send your way tomorrow or day after. Despite my low post count i do visit forums once or twice a day.

What kind of stuff would we be testing? I can usually troubleshoot most things pretty easily...

Let me know and I may be interested. Here are the PCs that are currently at my disposal:

MY comps specs

AMD XP 3200+ OC@ 2.82 Ghz FSB 433
1 gig DDR
GeForce 5700 LE, 256 DDR (been able to take everything I have thrown at it so far)
SATA 10k RPM Raptor 74 GIG

FAMILY comp specs

AMD XP 2500+ OC @ 2.2 Ghz FSB 400
384 MB DDR
Ge Force MX 440, 64 MB
Standard IDE

Old comp specs

Pentium 3 133 FSB @ 450 MHz
384 Mb of RAM
32 MB graphics
IDE

Server Comp specs

2500+ Sempron @ 1.8 GHz
256 MB RAM
Integrated Graphics
SCSI

Offline Kie99

My System Stats:

Offline Darkon

Originally posted by kietotheworld
My System Stats:

LOL  .  Owning a Compaq computer should be more than enough for you to be disqualified :)

Offline Kie99

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
Low End tester - that could be me:)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by MatthewPapa
What kind of stuff would we be testing? I can usually troubleshoot most things pretty easily...

Other than bug testing missions

-checking all the different transports can dock and undock correctly from each docking point on a ship. That means testing each races transports (a lot of work, though some ships are only meant to have certain species dock to it as other ships don't really work with them.)

-checking all fighterbay paths are working correctly

-checking for slowdown and instability from the weapons/effects (This is a major issue for my system, so I'll be looking at any issues the mid/low range spec people have)

-checking for slowdown or instability due to models (due to many maps or polycount)

-checking that all ship meshes are stable (collisions and such)

-checking for crashes or other issues (anything that crops up)

and any other general modpack checks. I want to eliminate as many issues and problems before release. Since we won't be using all ships in the first chapter, this is why I want the testers to be able to make at least basic missions so they can test everything. They don't need to make anything polished though, since those missions are for testing.

Basically to make sure the errors in R1 don't happen this time, such as the SOC corvette issues.

Originally posted by Woomeister

Other than bug testing missions

-checking all the different transports can dock and undock correctly from each docking point on a ship. That means testing each races transports (a lot of work, though some ships are only meant to have certain species dock to it as other ships don't really work with them.)

-checking all fighterbay paths are working correctly

-checking for slowdown and instability from the weapons/effects (This is a major issue for my system, so I'll be looking at any issues the mid/low range spec people have)

-checking for slowdown or instability due to models (due to many maps or polycount)

-checking that all ship meshes are stable (collisions and such)

-checking for crashes or other issues (anything that crops up)

and any other general modpack checks. I want to eliminate as many issues and problems before release. Since we won't be using all ships in the first chapter, this is why I want the testers to be able to make at least basic missions so they can test everything. They don't need to make anything polished though, since those missions are for testing.

Basically to make sure the errors in R1 don't happen this time, such as the SOC corvette issues.

Ok, sounds allright as I can do everything you mentioned above. Ive been doing testing like this for the BSG project for a while over at GW (they have similiar issues with slowdowns etc) , I could do it for you too. Sign me up if I you think I could be of assistance.

Offline aldi

i WOULD like to be a full tester I have
1.69 Ghz+ CPU | 512 MB Ram+ | 256 MB+ DX9 gfx card
I can download a very large modpack and I woild like to help. thanks
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 08:36:36 pm by 1199 »

That is definitely not a high end computer bud.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by MatthewPapa
What kind of stuff would we be testing?

Maybe I'll send you some new effects which require some performance testing.

I'll hve to work on them before though. ;)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I'll FRED... :nervous:

*goes to constuct sample mission*

*hopes that ship/wing names aren't that important*
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Kie99

I've got the mission finished, now I jsut need your E-mail.

Offline brugger

I finished my mission last night and sent you a pm with a link

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
If you can't upload it somewhere and PM a link, then try the send email link in my profile. Don't know if you can attatch files to those though.

Offline brugger

Originally posted by kietotheworld
I've got the mission finished, now I jsut need your E-mail.

if you need some where to upload your mission just go to freeweb.com it took me about 2 minutes to set up a free site and get my file uploaded, it looks horriable but it does the job