Author Topic: Juddering FS2  (Read 1641 times)

Hey there,

Im aware that this type of problem has been covered before, and ive tried many of the fixes ive found.  But still when i play vanilla FS2 Retail it still judders and lags.  Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Cheers for any help, its going to drive me crazy eventually :)

Tried: Turning graphics down
          Using all the graphics modifiers in setup

My system is a 1.6ghz athlon, 512mb RAM, Raedon 9200LE.  So should be running ok.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Hmmm... there's almost identical rig at my parents', on which I had my first touch to FreeSpace 2. It has an AthlonXP 3000+, 512MB DDR-RAM and a Radeon 9200SE (or LE or whatever the crap they named it, isn't really important anyways  :p).

And whaddaya know, I vaguely remember something similar with the retail being slow in the beginning. Praytell, do you perchance have Aureal 3D sound selected as sound device from the retail launcher settings? Try playing around with that, I don't remember which option fixed it but the default was Aureal 3D, and it didn't cut it. I suppose DirectSound was in the options list, or something like that... I haven't played retail FS2 on that PC in ages.

Of course, you could just DL and install latest version of FS2_Open... you won't be able to use all of the MediaVP's, but it should at least run. And if you're willing to sacrifice some FPS you can get some of the eye candy working as well... at least on 1024x768 resolution. The 9200SE seems to have problems running the HTL graphics on higher resolution... :blah:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Also, track down the latest audio drivers for your sound card.  If you want FS2_Open, there are links in my siggy if you want.

Cheers dude - the soundcard idea worked like a dream. :)
Ive got FS2 Open, which normally works ok. Ive dug out retail because my mates and I are playing through a LAN and some of the computers can only handle retail. 

I hate integrated sound - causes so many problems, incidently ive just disabled the Aureal thing completely and its fixed few problems i had with my computer.

:cool:

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Glad to be of assistance.  :)

...and you ain't kidding about onboard sound. At least on those OEM computers' sorry excuses for motherboards. My PC's MOBO has one Realtek AC'97 (as does the computer at my parents', which I mentioned) but the sound quality wasn't too good - for example, you could hear the processor activity from the differences in slight background buzzing in speakers - so I invested into external sound card (Sound Blaster Live! 24bit, 5.1 channel USB). Does it's job well enough on Windows side.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.