Author Topic: MjnMixael's HD Mainhalls (Released)  (Read 33918 times)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: MjnMixael's HD Mainhalls (Released)
Well, sounds like it's a good time for me to chime in, too. For the record, I wasn't active on Discord when the discussion regarding these ensued but I had the opportunity to read up on the message history, and personally I didn't have any impression that the person in question was planning to release a separate version of the mainhalls. It seemed to me more like they were perfectly willing to submit these to you, or at most replace them in their own mod in order to make them work correctly.

I think this is just a misunderstanding. Although maybe it would give birth to some minor improvement here or there.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I was just informed that someone is trying to covert these to apngs for an updated version. I request they don't. I don't want multiple versions of my work floating around.

Hey MJN, I'm the one working on apng-ifying the mainhalls mod. I want to clear up any confusion about what I'm trying to accomplish and how I'm going about it, and also to apologize for not getting in touch with you directly.

My policy is to always attempt to contact the current maintainers of a mod before doing anything at all. I believe there are several prominent members of the community that can attest to this. When I came to this community I came expecting a parlor approach to modding. I've since been informed that this community prefers a cathedral approach. Even knowing this I still feel a need to seek approval when doing anything with someone else' mod. I didn't contact you because I was under the mistaken impression that you had left this community and FS modding behind entirely and thus wouldn't be contactable. Additionally, I believed that FSU had taken over maintenance of the mainhalls mod. For this mistake I apologize.

To be absolutely clear, I have no intention what so ever of releasing the apng-ified version of mainhalls as a new mod and never have. My intention was to do the work of converting it and provide the results to the FSU team with a request to consider implementing it in the original mod. Again, I was under the impression that they were the current maintainers of the mod. This approach of doing the work, proving the idea, and then showing it to the maintainers was recently suggested to me by long-time members of the community. It was actually a course I had considered previously and discarded because I didn't want to seem pushy about it. It was only after it was actively suggested that I take this approach that I began work yesterday evening.

Now I'd like to share my results so far. I've successfully converted all but 2 animations. This has already brought the file count down from over 30k to ~750. It has also reduced the size of the mod from 5.6 GB to 2.9 GB. Some of the animations were reduced to 0.5% of their original size... yes, one half of one percent... and from as many as 900 files to 1 file. And, if I can solve the problems with the remaining two animations, the results should be even better. The in-game results (all animations shown are apng)?

Again, nothing is being published by me. For now it's a proof of concept only.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:55:06 pm by jadeddragoon »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm aware of the file limit issue as well as the large download size. I was working on an APNG conversion back in January and just haven't really wanted to return to it.

As I recall there is a major issue with how the engine handles APNGs as misc anims in a group. Instead of stopping the previously played animation, it continues to loop indefinitely. What this ends up looking like in some cases is that the top layered animation in the group becomes the only one the players sees and it's on a non-stop loop. It doesn't even respect the timing options set in the tbl. In other cases, like the nebula version of Aquitaine, all of the partially transparent lightning effects will be playing at once after a few seconds. You can see this in the video above during the Aquitaine portion where the Hercs fly past the window multiple times in a row. That shouldn't happen... at least not that quickly.

I can't recall if I filed an issue with SCP or not. I discovered this right about the time I stopped working on HLP projects in general. But until that's fixed, there's no point in an APNG conversion. The doors will work fine as APNG, but they are only 30 frames each, so at best you're saving yourself a few hundred files across the entire set. It's the misc animations where the conversion is mostly needed.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

I've finished converting the anims. And there is now a pull request for a potential fix to the issue with misc animation groups and apngs (courtesy of lafiel).

I did notice that two animations seemed to have "extra" frames... 2_soy-m1-a and 2_soy-m1-d. In both cases there were more pngs than frames specified in the eff files and all the frames greater than configured in the eff were of a different resolution, ratio, and alignment. Left over files from an earlier version?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've finished converting the anims. And there is now a pull request for a potential fix to the issue with misc animation groups and apngs (courtesy of lafiel).

I did notice that two animations seemed to have "extra" frames... 2_soy-m1-a and 2_soy-m1-d. In both cases there were more pngs than frames specified in the eff files and all the frames greater than configured in the eff were of a different resolution, ratio, and alignment. Left over files from an earlier version?

Probably.

I could have saved you likely hours of work though. I have at least half of the halls converted from back in January and I have a script that will do the rest straight from my source files using the settings I prefer.

Probably.

I could have saved you likely hours of work though. I have at least half of the halls converted from back in January and I have a script that will do the rest straight from my source files using the settings I prefer.

I actually wrote a simple bash script to do it. Simple enough the extra frames for those two anims made it choke till I figured out what the deal with them was and removed them. But if you'd be willing to give me your script or let me know what settings you would prefer I can re-convert them fairly easily. Or, if you'd like to just handle all this yourself that's fine too. The only thing is that I kinda need it done to finish my blueplanet complete modpack. I can understand not wanting to deal with something atm and I'm willing to do whatever is needed.

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash

declare -A anims

for f in ~/interface/*.eff; do
while read c; do
if [[ $c =~ \$FPS\:\ *([0-9]*) ]]; then
name=$(basename $f)
anims[${name%.*}]=${BASH_REMATCH[1]}
break
fi
done < $f
done

for i in "${!anims[@]}"
do
echo 'name: '$i
echo 'fps : '${anims[${i}]}
echo

/d/Apps/Portable/apngasm/apngasm64.exe ~/newinterface/${i}.png ~/interface/${i}_'*'.png 1 ${anims[${i}]}
done
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 02:15:51 pm by jadeddragoon »

21.4.0-RC1 includes a fix for the APNGified mainhall animations. Tested and working.

@mjn Would you like me to send you the mainhall animations i converted or do you want to convert them yourself?

Offline hoo00

Updating to 1.4.4 removes 1.4.3 and breaks MVPS-4.4.2 that requires "<=1.4.3" version and "aquitaine_com" packages.

Offline AV8R

hoo00, if you have a general backup of your FreeSpace folder, simply restore/copy the folder MjnMHs-1.4.3 back under your x:\GAMES\FreespaceOpen\FS2 folder and everything will function again (it's how I fixed mine). If you don't have a backup, then simply open Knossos, find the Freespace Upgrade MediaVPs mod, click the down-arrow to expand the context menu, and select Modify. In the mod list, find the subheading MjnMixael's HD Mainhalls 1.4.3 and make sure it is checked. To save time/space you may want to deselect some of the mainhalls since some are tied to specific optional mods and not the main FS1/FS2 campaign mods. The main ones you really need checked are the audio files, the Galetea files, the Bastion files, the Aquitane files and, if you have Silent Threat installed, also include the Krios and Soyakaze files as well. This will redownload the Mainhall 1.4.3 mod again (which could take a while, since it's pretty big - 4.5GB).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 03:09:31 pm by AV8R »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I have updated this mod to 1.4.5. There is nothing new other than an updated credits file and I've included a copy of the creative commons license chosen for this mod.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/

You are free to copy and redistribute this mod in any medium or format
You must give appropriate credit when using this mod
You must obtain permission to distribute derivative works of this mod
You must obtain permission to use this work for commercial purposes

The reason I've chosen this version of the CC license for some of my works* going forward is because there are individuals of the community that have lately been extremely vocal about cathedral vs parlor modding, heavily siding with cathedral. In general I agree and have made liberal use of that freedom. However, the attitude with which this is discussed by these individuals concerns me. Karajorma has discussed several times that projects should include formal licenses and I agree. I try very hard in my mods to credit any and all individuals who knowingly or unknowingly contributed as I use various items released over the years. I have also spent literally hundreds of hours on this mainhall mod, so the core of what I'm wanting with the No Derivatives license is proper attribution and to ensure that there are no "bugfix derivatives". Proper bugfixes belong right here. If you're interested in making a creative derivative, just send me a PM. The answer is almost certainly yes. There are individuals who I have given assets to make derivatives of Wayfarer (altering the window exterior view) specifically for their mods. I do not revoke that permission now.

*This is the first of my works to be formalized with a license. Most of my works will not get the CC ND license.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It's good to have it laid out in black and white bud.   Hope you're well.   
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
First let me say these are superb!

Unfortunately, when running them I am running into what I suspect is a performance problem. Everything is slow and jerky, as if my PC is struggling to run them at a reasonable FPS. Going by the videos it is not supposed to be like this. Any idea what might be causing it?

FYI my PCs specs are:
3.9 GHz AMD CPU
16GB RAM at 1600 MHZ
Nvidia GTX970 GPU

Not a beast by any means, but it should be more than powerful enough to run a main hall properly.

Any advice is greatly appreciated  :)

Not sure what has changed, but now they run perfectly  :D Could it be that I'm using a different HOTAS now? (I assume not, but it is the only thing that has changed at my end hardware-wise  :confused: )
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Updated to 1.4.6

This adds an optional title card to each mainhall. Just replace the appropriate image to activate it. Image can be any height but should only be 450 pixels wide. Will display in the upper left or right corners depending on the mainhall.

-Galatea Version A -> gal_title-a_0000.png
-Galatea Version B -> gal_title-b_0000.png
-Bastion Version A -> bas_title-a_0000.png
-Bastion Version B -> bas_title-b_0000.png
-Krios -> kri_title_0000.png
-Soyakaze -> soy_title_0000.png
-Intrepid -> int_title_0000.png
-Wayfarer -> way_title_0000.png
-Lucifer -> luc_title_0000.png
-Centaur -> cen_title_0000.png
-Aquitaine -> aqu_title-a_0000.png
-Nebula Aquitaine -> aqu_title-b_0000.png

Offline Rhys

The Centaur mainhall looks exactly how I've imagined what Terran interiors looked like! Amazing.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Updated to 1.4.7

All it does is change the Herc model to the new one in Galatea and Bastion.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Amazing attention to detail buddy.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Updated to 1.4.8

Resolves shortcut key discrepancy where in some halls B = Barracks, C = Campaign and in other halls B = Campaign, C = Barracks.

Offline CT27

I used the new mainhall version (1.4.8) and noticed an error (the campaigns that this came up on were Shepherds and FS2 through 4.5.X MediaVPs).  I was using 22.0 and the 4.5.X MediaVPs.

Where the campaign room is supposed to be (it shows a system map roughly in the middle right part of the screen)...when I hover my mouse over it the caption says "Barracks" and clicking on that takes me to barracks.  When I hover my mouse over where the barracks usually are (a simple entrance in roughly upper left of screen) the caption says campaign room and clicking on that takes me to where I can select a campaign.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So unfortunately that is now an issue with the mods themselves. There was an issue with some of my mainhalls where the Barracks and Campaign "areas" were swapped. This caused the B and C hotkeys to load Campaign and Barracks respectively instead of the other way around. I fixed that here, but if mods included their own -hall.tbm, they will need to be swapped there as well. MediaVPs 4.6 resolves this problem.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Updated to 1.4.9

Adds 10th door to Wayfarer.