General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

The Hammer of Light as Antagonists

(1/5) > >>

Firesteel:
So it's a couple days a year since I uploaded a video (sorry about that but spring quarter kind of killed me with the TA workload). This next one is covering The Hammer and the Anvil through the end of Act 1 and I'm curious what people's current thoughts are on the HoL since they're going to feature prominently in this one (and so I know what people's assumptions are so I can try and add some insight  :D).

mjn.mixael:
The HoL was an obvious potential outcome of the Shivans arrival. They make for a decent thread twist in FS1 and help a lot with it's world building. (It's through the lens of the HoL that we get some of the Vasudan lore.)

Novachen:
I actually played FreeSpace 2 before FreeSpace and so i actually think, that their prophecy is right.

The most interesting context in the HoL was that this prophecy proves that early vasudans had contact with some Ancients.

Actually i think, that the HoL had much more potential to explore than the NTF... even i think that it make sense, that the HoL transformed into a terror organization after the destruction of the Lucifer. Because it was a symbol of their prophecy.

After the Capella Supernova i think, that there could be a new HoL-like religious group that simply believe the prophecies. Especially the Vasudans that were able to escape Capella alive and saw how the Sathanas fleet darkened the skies...

But as i said, HoL is much more interesting than NTF, but in contrast :V: was able to give the NTF more depth because of Admiral Bosch's motives.
They should have make HoL Monologues in FS1  :D For example, passages from the old scrolls :).

Trivial Psychic:
In regards to the Vasudans and the Ancients, if I recall correctly the Reference Bible which kinda predates the FS1 game, mentions that the Ancients may have seeded the Vasudans.

Snarks:
I thought BP's treatment of the HoL was just absolutely brilliant. When the HoL is treated as a social aspect of the Vasudans, it opens up so much possibility for exploring the Vasudans and how they differ from Terrans.

In the perspective of the main campaign, the Hammer of Light created this unease and tension for the player because their new allies aren't exactly the most reliable. And when you're neck deep in Shivans, the last thing you want is for your "reinforcements" to be a bunch of Hammer of Light infiltrators.

Operation Templar though was a pretty big disappointment. Once the HoL are divorced from the Shivans and the general in-universe lore and just treated as terrorists, they lose a lot of their enigma.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version