Author Topic: What are you flying? (The describe your flagship thread)  (Read 19438 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: What are you flying? (The describe your flagship thread)
@CP5670 -- I see no image after the quote.  I think you got Dekker'd...

At least it's just text this time:shaking:
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
Sentry Gun (Watchdog) with internet connection, freespace open and a TV. Nothing can beat that.

Add mini-fridge with unlimited beers, a food cabinet with beef jerky and leftovers, and a microwave.

personally :)
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline Mathwiz6

• Pees numbers
Bosch Beer.

And... Really, I say they need more, and more fighters. And snip-ey ships.

Because really, only way to drop a big ship right is to use a bunch of disposables.

(trades Colossus for 10000 Ursa, 10000 Erinyes (mara's, but those are tough to find), and 10000 Perseus.

Voila. Shivan problem solved.

(imagines lag of 20000 helios)

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
Solve a shivan problem? thats preposterous.

rather, trade the fleet for alpha 1s in 3:2 ratio of Maras to Ursas.

Un-freaking-stoppable.

This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The Hiigaran Battlecruiser from Homeworld 2.
Better would be the Tier IV Prince of Hiigara from PDS 7.3. Or, rather, the BV Battlecarrier, as it's more suited to a flagship role.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Talyn from Farscape just bigger and with a few more harmonic dissonance cannons, and a pilot in the pilots den who was amiable to my goals that I wouldn't have to micro if I did not wish to, neuro transponder for myself

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
What a strange thread. I'll take the Liberator. If someone's already taken that I'll have it's bigger copy the Excalibur. I'd rather have the Liberator though I like the 70s flight deck complete with lava lamp.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The Liberator from Blake's Seven? Man, I used to love that show...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That pic makes me wish I hadn't given my lego bricks to my cousins...Oh the wonderous things I used to make.... :(

One word: ebay. Most of my collection has actually come from there.

@CP5670 -- I see no image after the quote.  I think you got Dekker'd...

That website apparently doesn't allow remote linking but it was in my browser's cache, so I could see it. :p

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Which is basically what happened to Dekker. Only with goatse. And banning.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
In any case, some of you can probably guess what it was given the quote. :D

Offline Qwer

• If it bleeds, I can mod it

Yarr! My flagship will own you all. >D
If in your opinion there's no difference beetwen "Master Game" and "Game Master", I can only feel for you.

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/601-tauri-superbattleship-uns-achilles-5.html

Pure Pwnage.

I'd be more impressed if it didn't look like he took all that was good and holy of warship design, both real and scifi, put it in a blender, and set it on puree.

The Mk 15 CIWS Phalanx turrets are straight copies. The flight pod (which by the way scream Galactica) guns may be straight copies of the British 4.5"/45 QF Mk III (and Mk II BD mounting), I can't get a good enough look at them to see, but they are at least heavily derivative. The centerline and conning tower lighter guns are either direct copies or heavily derivative of Italian Navy 6"/53 mounts, and like their progenitors probably have dispersion problems due to the closeness of the guns. The conning tower has obvious AEGIS SPY-1 radar influences, and equally obvious Western battleship conning tower influences, but shows the amateur's misappreciation of the actual height of these structures. (The Japanese built high conning towers, but had "greenhouse" upper levels. Western-style towers were lower and longer.) The VLS system is the only thing that shows a degree of both realism and originality.

Your flagship is the misbegotten child of a mind which cannot seemingly do something original.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Sentry Gun (Watchdog) with internet connection, freespace open and a TV. Nothing can beat that.

Add mini-fridge with unlimited beers, a food cabinet with beef jerky and leftovers, and a microwave.

personally :)

Mmmmm.... Good idea.

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
My flagship, the HMS Peleus, is, by FreeSpace standards, a destroyer-sized ship. Representing the first Koopa foray into space, this state-of-the art warship takes influence from the older Morton-class airships and their ancestors, the seven superairships built for the Koopalings to enforce the total seizure of power in the Mushroom Kingdom. She is therefore made mostly of wood, taking a ship-like design, and relies primarily on more conventional weaponry than newly-developed and untested beam and laser technology.
She retains some propellers, intended for atmospheric flight, though they almost never see use, having been necessarily superseded by an aft cluster of rocket thrusters, supported by thrusters dispersed around the ship.

Armament includes several small swivel cannons located at various points on the ship. These serve in anti-fighter and anti-warship roles, firing metal cannonballs whose diameter is equal to about a quarter of the Hercules' length. As you can imagine, these cannons are capable of incredible damage to a naked hull, though their effectiveness is greatly reduced against energy shielding. Also located in a few places are omnidirectional Bullet Bill launchers, upgraded with tracking equipment and thrusters to meet the new threat of fighters. In the place of flak guns are cannons firing standard Bob-omb ordnance, which when detonated results in an absolutely lethal spread of shrapnel. For anti-warship use, the Peleus is armed with several medium cannons on large swivel mounts, firing metal spheres the size of a Hercules fighter. (think real-life battleship turrets with huge cannonballs). These can smash through a corvette with ease. For the most resilient of foes, the Peleus is outfitted with two large fixed-mount cannons. These fire absolutely huge metal spheres capable of smashing a destroyer with only a few shots. However, these are to be used as a last resort; a Peleus can not carry much ammunition. For the sake of using the new technology, one beam weapon is included on the bottom of the ship, approximately the power of a Terran SGreen, though it consumes more than double the power needed to fire an SGreen and is prone to failure.

The crew consists of a variety of races, though maintenance crews consist largely of Dry Bones; they do not need spacesuits.

The Peleus is not without her share of weaknesses. Though her weapons are difficult to take out, as they contain little electronics, almost all anti-warship weapons are located on the deck, towards the top of the ship, leaving the bottom undefended except by an unreliable and low-power beam cannon. Bombs take a heavy toll on the primarily wooden hull, though it is more resilient than one might expect. All in all, her anti-capship armament is superior to that of the GTVA, but it relies on ammunition. Her fighterbay is empty; no fighters have been retrofitted or developed for space travel. She remains a fine ship.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

And that would be... what now?  :p
It looks really cool, but I'd like a name to go with the pic.
(If I had to guess... is that the new Gigas from INF SCP?)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Hatshepsut class-destroyer.

"Gunnery control, open fire !"  :pimp:

Offline Snail

• SC 5

And that would be... what now?  :p
It looks really cool, but I'd like a name to go with the pic.
(If I had to guess... is that the new Gigas from INF SCP?)

No. But if so Woo would kill Qwer for posting that. (well SadisticSid anyway).