Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > FS2 Open Coding - The Source Code Project (SCP)

Release: 23.0.0

<< < (2/5) > >>

EatThePath:

Some things I can comment on without the hands on testing...

--- Quote from: wesp5 on February 19, 2023, 02:21:54 am ---
- Enabling emissive light makes all models look much too bright, this is already visible in the technical database view.
- Enabling post processing makes all models look flat and uniformly lighted, enabling post-processing AA is fine though.

--- End quote ---
Enabling emissive light just adds light to everything, so if something is lit properly without it, turning it on is going to make things too bright. Handling of emissive changed in 23.0, as did light flags and all lighting in general, so you may be getting somewhat different results from what you're used to and need to adjust accordingly.  The wiki page on flags is updated with current information, and while using emissive isn't recommended, there is a new version of it listed there which lets you set how strong you want it to be.

If the mod relied on command line flags to look good, a new table lets mods set that up internally rather than relying on the use of flags for it. This thread contains some discussion about the reasons behind these changes, and the other lighting changes that were made.

For the tech room specifically, 23.0 includes updates to the lighting of the ship viewer. The classic model lighting was a single white light from directly above, which does a terrible job of exhibiting most modern models. With the input of several community artists I updated it to a three light setup designed to show the models off better, so things will definitely look different than they used to.

Finally, that new table lets you configure what's called the tonemapper, which is a part of the post-processing. Unfortunately I have not gotten together a good visual guide to the options, but if you press F3 in the menus you can access the 'lab' which includes the ability to interactively explore what different settings look like.

These were taken in 22.0 to get around the crashing so the settings won't produce exactly the same results in 23.0, but here's an example of the kind of difference you can make with that table
Default(or very close to it):

Tweaked:

If you want to dig more into settings for TBP specifically that's probably better for a thread in that subforum, but it's probably good to have this overview here for others to see.

EatThePath:

--- Quote from: wesp5 on February 19, 2023, 12:41:39 pm ---
--- Quote from: EatThePath on February 19, 2023, 12:10:08 pm ---At least two SCP members(myself one of them) have tried to look into this, but the knossos version of TBP won't launch on 23.0, and the moddb download page for the patch refuses to actually provide a download for the patch.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, something is off with ModDB. You can still upload mods but they can't be downloaded! Below is a link of the patch on Google Drive, but it was possible to run TBP on 23.0 without anything else and lots of warnings ;).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DD5-gG-ukCK5zcUa__IZF9Q0mfeRH0EX/view?usp=sharing

--- End quote ---
That works for getting me in-game, thanks. Can you tell me what mission you're seeing the errors in? It's most likely related to the distance fog effects, since the missions I've tested don't have that and everything looks fine.

den5:
SFP A distant star

wesp5:

--- Quote from: EatThePath on February 19, 2023, 12:49:34 pm ---If you want to dig more into settings for TBP specifically that's probably better for a thread in that subforum, but it's probably good to have this overview here for others to see.

--- End quote ---

I found good settings for TBP already, but den5 thought it couldn't hurt to ask if there were some common issues. Deferred lighting of cockpits certainly looks buggy in TBP...

den5:
This happens in Solaris too

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version