Author Topic: Suggestions for the Blue Planet VA Re-Release (polish + bugfixes)  (Read 28389 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Suggestions for the Blue Planet VA Re-Release (polish + bugfixes)
I'm just replaying the full campaign again, well it feels odd to have nebulae in sol, particulary because we know for certain there are no largely visible nebulae from our system, maybe a little nebula here or there wouldn't hurt but what you added seems way too much.
It didn't felt like sol, also note that the sun bitmap is kinda strange in some missions, EG in the 3rd mission in the asteroid belt, the sun seems too small and it's not white-yellow how I would have expected.

Overall the campaign presents a couple of bugfixes that are noticeable and make it better, like the fact that you changed the position of the Sacred Keeper on the first mission it appears, that was a good change :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
There aren't any asteroid fields like that in Sol either, but nobody seems to mind. Rule of Cool, perhaps?

Offline -Norbert-

Or maybe noone who played the campaign was ever inside the asteroid field to take a look at how it really is  :P

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
There aren't any asteroid fields like that in Sol either, but nobody seems to mind. Rule of Cool, perhaps?

So what's the Kuiper belt then?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Is there going to be a credits cutscene mission like Derelict? That'd be nice.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

So what's the Kuiper belt then?

Even emptier. The asteroid belt is much, much less dense than commonly depicted. The Kuiper belt is less dense than that. Oh, both of them are navigational hazards, but not as extreme as that.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah. You'd have to fly for ages on FreeSpace scale to find more than one asteroid in an area. Of course, the Oort Cloud contains three times the mass of Earth (last I recall?) but it, too, is just as empty.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
But that would make Paving the Way a horrifically boring mission, so thankfully :v: went for a far less realistic take on things. :p

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
(a.) "Preserving the Balance"

I found that the GTL Solace's docking point causes it to actually be inside of the GTD Temeraire. The Solace thus shakes around as if it's being rammed, etc. It also is visually unappealing. This must be due to issues with the model itself; I assume someone who knows their way around PCS2 might fix the problem.

(b.) "Universal Truth"

For the most part, the mission runs well. The cutscene does not cause the HUD to disappear when you return to the fighter, which is a nice change from campaigns which rely heavily on "shift-O" (such as JAD) to counter that problem. However, the music is disabled when you return to the cockpit. This did not appear to be a problem in the Tech room after I had finished the story, but the point is defeated when you can't enjoy the full extent of the mission while the campaign is in progress. On a separate note, would it be possible to add a SEXP that would either limit the speed of the fighter in the beginning of the mission so it does not stray far from the Orestes OR add one (this would be better) that would bring the player's fighter to a stop when the dialogue between the Shivans and Vishnans commences? I didn't think to cut my throttle the first time I played the mission and ended up between the Vishnan Juggernaught's field generator when the cutscene ended... after which I had to rush back to the fleet...

-Thaeris
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:09:13 pm by Thaeris »
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Merging with the existing thread devoted only to discussing and reporting bugs/suggestions in general.   :p

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Oh ... in Proving Grounds you can give the attack order to the Miranda and the Boreas.  This will cause the Lucifer's beams to target them, rather than the Orestes (just by distance), and the lucifer, hull will eventually get depleted without the Orestes being destroyed, resulting in the mission failing.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Oh ... in Proving Grounds you can give the attack order to the Miranda and the Boreas.  This will cause the Lucifer's beams to target them, rather than the Orestes (just by distance), and the lucifer, hull will eventually get depleted without the Orestes being destroyed, resulting in the mission failing.

I swear I reported this in the original release...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I believe it was fixed in BP 3.6.10.

My latest internal version of the mission definitely doesn't have the problem.

Offline -Norbert-

I have a (very) little suggestion for the cutscene were the Lucifer blows up the Orion.
Wouldn't it make more sense if the Orion concentrated all it's firepower on the Lucifer instead of firing at (and missing) the fighters?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
That's actually a very good suggestion...  :yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

I have a (very) little suggestion for the cutscene were the Lucifer blows up the Orion.
Wouldn't it make more sense if the Orion concentrated all it's firepower on the Lucifer instead of firing at (and missing) the fighters?

The Lucifer had impenetrable shields it wouldn't have mattered either way. Visually it might look a little cooler.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Even if the gunners "knew" those shields were inpenatrable, they'd probably try and shoot the Lucy anyway. It's the natural reaction to do when you're up against the wall... you'll do anything to defend yourself despite the knowledge you inherently have that says "there's no way you can win."

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The blobs would take quite a while to hit the Lucy...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Credit mission with out-takes.. :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Even if the gunners "knew" those shields were inpenatrable, they'd probably try and shoot the Lucy anyway. It's the natural reaction to do when you're up against the wall... you'll do anything to defend yourself despite the knowledge you inherently have that says "there's no way you can win."

The alternative is though the gunners might think "there's no way we can take down that ship but at least I can take down some of these damn fighters with me before I die."

Even so, I think getting ships to fire at other ships with blobs has always been problematic. Unless there's some new SexP. Best thing to do would probably be to make a missile weapon that looks like a blob like the Fusion Mortar on the Leviathan so that it fires at the ship.