Author Topic: oh man this is so cool  (Read 24094 times)

Offline Nuclear1

Re: oh man this is so cool
Holy crap.  This is amazing. 

I love you guys.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
I think the idea is to remind us that the beam is blowing a hole in the ship and superheated fragments are coming out the other side, right?
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Quite so.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Speaking of other fun effects, Komet's Japanese localization mod was supposed to have hull sparking upon weapons impact as well as a few shield-hit affects as well. Will these similarly get into the MediaVPs? Damage effects are fun...  :nod:

Yes - but at least i wont start porting over other features unless requested to (and possibly not even then).
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
EPIC WIN!!!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
[17:44] <redsniper> I like how whenever we get a new feature implemented in FSO, at first it's WAY overdone
[17:45] <@Battuta> heheh yeah
[17:45] <redsniper> then toned down later

This is pretty amazing guys. I love long time. :yes:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Kolgena

Few things to say:

1. Wow.
2. Wow.
3. Wow.
4. I agree that the effect needs to be toned down a fair bit. Kilometer long trails that seem to show more debris coming out of the ship than it seemed to contain in the hole that got blown through it looks odd.
5. Wow.
6. Wow.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Oh God. This is making me break down and download the nightlies before two weeks later. This is ****ing epic. Can't wait to see it work on railguns.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I think the effect might look better if instead of a standard explosion effect, it used something that just expands and fades... of course, in the actual fs2 intro cutscene there was some debris, but it was slow moving and entirely at the site of impact...

Also, too chunky.

But I like the idea. Especially the slash trail thing... but it could use some work.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I take you're volunteering to create those new effects then? If so, head here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67716.0

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I take you're volunteering to create those new effects then? If so, head here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67716.0

QFT

I must say this has become so impressive and that it was surprising that it wasnt made anytime sooner.... playing through some campaigns now and seeing ships in the distance battling with beams and seeing at least the glowing impacts on their hulls in the distance really gives it a more dynamic visual effect....

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This wasn't done sooner because it wasn't really possible to do it. The code with the necessary features was only committed a rather short time ago.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nuclear1

Alright, here's my 2 cents:

This effect is awesome.  As in, this is easily one of the most awesome visual effects of FSO, next to glowmaps and ambient_factor.  You guys should very much be commended for everything BP has so far contributed to FSO gameplay--and you haven't even forced us to wait for the release to give it to us. :)

That said, here's what I think can be improved on:

1.  Like everyone's said, shorter trails.  Blah blah blah ad naseum.
2.  I think this was mentioned a while back, but different effects for different ships and beams.  I think the original effect looks a little silly on an Aeolus--but the effect Fury showed in the second pic of his most recent upload looks perfect for cruisers.  Corvettes and up--fire away with the original.  It looks amazing.
3.  The slash effect looks great--if you're not using the original effect (the "burst with debris flying everywhere" effect--it just looks too crowded and messy).  The same effect I mentioned above though, would look great on it too.

I honestly haven't played around with the table, and since it's midnight right now, I probably won't till tomorrow.  But I'll look around at it and play around.  I'll upload some screenshots too. :)

Wonderful job guys! :yes:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
THIS IS SO FAPPABLE!
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Holy **** ORGASM.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I can confirm the effect is working brilliantly on railguns, too.

I just saw a gauss cannon round go through a cruiser lengthwise. Cored the ship and it peeled apart like an apple.

Ugly stuff.

Offline -Norbert-

Did the projectile come out the other side or was it just explosions?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
It's just explosions.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Note that the tbm's I posted in the first page of this topic do not work as advertised because behavior of piercing feature was changed in build 5832. If you want to tweak them, you need to read this topic for examples. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67706.0