Author Topic: Titans and Raynors  (Read 28291 times)

Well, matter-antimatter annihilation reactions release pure photons, don't they?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yep, lots of very low-wavelength stuff.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
if we want to get technical, a flashlight is a photon beam cannon of sorts :P
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Quite.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:34:05 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Uhm...no...if you go by tech descriptions, primaries are chemical lasers.
They use the gas to emit the laser, they don't shoot the gas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_laser
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline nuone

There are two possibilities for the UEF to win I guess. The GTVA is on the brink of economic collapse. If the UEF can draw the war out long enough, the GTVA might become unable to sustain the offensive.

Secend possibility is, that the GTVA civies learn of the war and all the unhappyness that was close to getting the GTVA government thrown down (which was only barely prevented by focussing the people on returning to Sol, if I interprete the proses correctly) will erupt back in full froce and cause the ones who initiated the attack to be driven form office and replaced with people who then sign a peace treaty with Sol.

Or maybe the will really lose the war...

There is also a very big possibility that Darius will do something I really don't expect  ;)

But however it will continue, I'm really looking forward to it.

MY GOD MAN! Spell check?

Offline nuone

I think the difference between beams and lasers in FS is that lasers are some sort or matter, like argon in the Akheton, with some sort of energy charge. It is similar to plasma since it is a gas that is charged and lights up, perhaps releasing light all over the electromagnetic spectrum. Beams are probably highly focused x-ray, or better yet, gamma ray light (high energy). Combine high energy wavelengths with the speed of light since it has no mass, and you got yourself a very powerful weapon that seems to exceed all others in power. The only thing more powerful is perhaps a subspace weapon. Can't use a neutrino weapon since neutrinos go through everything like a ghost. It makes one wonder if particles with no mass can even be considered physical since they have no mass, and mass defines if something is physical or not.

Lasers have no mass my friend. Beams are streams of an illuminated element. Yet, a beam of plasma would have mass and some kinetic energy as well. "Combine high energy wavelengths with the speed of light?" - Are you sure you know what you are typing? Light IS energy, to which it's intensity (power) varies depending on the wavelength. FYI; So far as those who are knowledgeable on the subject attest, light weapons are inferior to plasma based or kinetic energy weapons.

Offline -Norbert-

There are two possibilities for the UEF to win I guess. The GTVA is on the brink of economic collapse. If the UEF can draw the war out long enough, the GTVA might become unable to sustain the offensive.

Secend possibility is, that the GTVA civies learn of the war and all the unhappyness that was close to getting the GTVA government thrown down (which was only barely prevented by focussing the people on returning to Sol, if I interprete the proses correctly) will erupt back in full froce and cause the ones who initiated the attack to be driven form office and replaced with people who then sign a peace treaty with Sol.

Or maybe the will really lose the war...

There is also a very big possibility that Darius will do something I really don't expect  ;)

But however it will continue, I'm really looking forward to it.

MY GOD MAN! Spell check?

Oh my GOD! I made a few spelling/typing errors while writing in a language other than my mother language late at night! Shoot me!

Seriously, don't you have anything better to do than pointing out spelling and typing mistakes that were made almost a month (and SIX PAGES!!!!!) earlier?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, his spelling was pretty good there for the Internet. No need for rage.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
sorry to nitpick, but let's iron out a few details.  the INTENSITY of the beam is like saying how thick or dense it is, it is the number of waves/particles per cross sectional area per second.  this is independent of the beam's ENERGY, which would be determined by the frequency/wavelength of the wave.  the energy and the intensity combined give the power, the energy per second. 
as for the "massless particles are nonphysical" thing, well clearly not, since there ARE "particles" that are massless that are known to exist.  don't forget, mass an energy are interchangable.

my biggest thought on why the beam cannons would be EM rather than plasma (other than the fact that just what they look like to me :P) is conservation of mass.  if that IS a particle stream, all those particles need to come from somewhere.  i don't see where they are gonna store that insane amount of plasma in the destroyers, much less the cruisers.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's an interesting question but at that point you start delving into the madness of how FreeSpace ships store all their missiles. It just doesn't make sense.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Subluminal lasers.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:34:20 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Light Amplification through Stimulated Emission of Radiation.  If the distinction between physical and not you are speaking of only exists in-game, there is no reason for the distinction to exist at all.

A laser is a thingy that bounces light back and forth until all the rays are perfectly parallel and in the same direction, which basically focuses them.

If i remember correctly.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
A laser is a thingy that bounces light back and forth until all the rays are perfectly parallel and in the same direction, which basically focuses them.

If i remember correctly.

Not 'perfectly' ...

Offline Tomo

Unfortunately, wrong in almost every respect.

A LASER is a device that ensures that the majority of the photons emitted are at the same frequency (monochromatic) and are 'in phase'.
(A perfect one would have them all perfectly in phase)

They do this by having one photon stimulate the emission of other photons in-phase and the same colour.

"In Phase" means that the 'peaks' and 'troughs' of the light are exactly together, thus having a much greater effect on the target than if some were 'peak' when others were 'troughs'.

The fact that the light is monochromatic and in phase also lets you do all kinds of other clever stuff, for example reading CDs and DVDs. These actually work by detecting when the distance from disc surface to detector array changes by half-wavelengths, thus causing a massive difference in signal (goes from high to almost zero)

Everything else about LASER light doesn't really matter:
You can always use lenses to focus - or defocus, as in holography, and the majority of LASERs are actually dimmer (less light output) than the tungsten filament lamps you probably use in your house.