Author Topic: Apocalypse Scale (holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit)  (Read 26765 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Apocalypse Scale (holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit)
Quote from: Scotty
Yes, it's hurt.  Yes, the bomb is reeeeally painful, but it doesn't melt holes in the sides of destroyers.
It doesn't, true, but I'm with Kosh on this one:  it should, dammit.  However, since bombs in FS don't do so, my hat goes off to the materials scientists/engineers of the 24th century for coming up with something that is miraculously able to instantly dump that kind of energy somewhere that is both a) not anywhere in the hull and b) not anywhere in the interior either.  I'm just going to call it Handwavium with a side order of Unobtanium.

We were talking on IRC yesterday and realized that when the techroom says 'collapsed core molybdenum', it might literally mean 'collapsed core molybdenum', as in 'degenerate matter', as in 'good ****ing god how the **** are these ships even able to move'  :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:

Maybe that's why they move at 20 m/s, thus explaining low speeds!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Shipyards is something I consider definitely a military installation - or at least military shipyards, there is no way you have the same shipyards for military and civilian ships.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yes, it's hurt.  Yes, the bomb is reeeeally painful, but it doesn't melt holes in the sides of destroyers.
It doesn't, true, but I'm with Kosh on this one:  it should, dammit.  However, since bombs in FS don't do so, my hat goes off to the materials scientists/engineers of the 24th century for coming up with something that is miraculously able to instantly dump that kind of energy somewhere that is both a) not anywhere in the hull and b) not anywhere in the interior either.  I'm just going to call it Handwavium with a side order of Unobtanium.

We were talking on IRC yesterday and realized that when the techroom says 'collapsed core molybdenum', it might literally mean 'collapsed core molybdenum', as in 'degenerate matter', as in 'good ****ing god how the **** are these ships even able to move'  :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:

already made joke was ALREADY MADE

Offline Droid803

I don't care! It's more awesome when I say it!

If I spend the time reading what everyone says, then my computer will crash before I get to post!
(´・ω・`)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
he's right!
* General Battuta prepares space for Droid in all threads

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

well it doesn't matter since there's not enough mass to keep the degenerate matter together anyway....
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

well it doesn't matter since there's not enough mass to keep the degenerate matter together anyway....

Like I said,

Yeah it makes no sense whatsoever. But whatever, FreeSpace.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Keep in mind non-military installations could mean things like shipyards, subspace communication hubs, and other vital pieces of space infrastructure.  It doesn't seem so harsh since your goal is to rip out the supporting backbone of their military might.  No wait, that is harsh, but war is supposed to be about making things harsh for the other guy.

Considering the size of the warheads and the fact they're salted for extra fallout, I'm pretty sure civilian causalities are the object. It's designed for planetary targets, and the warhead is a continent-killer with extra fallout. Even if you drop it on a military target you're going to get huge civilian casualties.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I never really realized they were salted warheads, always read over that part...
A 5GT salted warhead actually sounds like a doomsday device right out of Dr. Strangelove. It doesn't really make sense outside of genocidal applications. Especially in space - why would you want salted warheads in an environment without fallout?

I guess the Fed supportes can make a claim that the GT(V)A always had genocidal tendencies... "A planet wants to secede from our alliance? No problem, we can afford to lose a planet - WITH 0 POPULATION! (insert evil laughter)" or at least "A Vasudan Planet? Why waste marines to get a colonizeable planet, just doomsday their asses and leave scorched earth behind!"

Against Shivans, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

Like I said,

Yeah it makes no sense whatsoever. But whatever, FreeSpace.

woooooooooosh.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
:bump:
I never really realized they were salted warheads, always read over that part...
A 5GT salted warhead actually sounds like a doomsday device right out of Dr. Strangelove. It doesn't really make sense outside of genocidal applications. Especially in space - why would you want salted warheads in an environment without fallout?

I guess the Fed supportes can make a claim that the GT(V)A always had genocidal tendencies... "A planet wants to secede from our alliance? No problem, we can afford to lose a planet - WITH 0 POPULATION! (insert evil laughter)" or at least "A Vasudan Planet? Why waste marines to get a colonizeable planet, just doomsday their asses and leave scorched earth behind!"

Against Shivans, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Perhaps it was for the Vasudans. I've always wondered about that. What would have happened to the losing species of the Terran / Vasudan war exactly?

As for the collapsed-core Molybdenum, I've always taken it that somehow the atoms themselves had been collapsed.  As for how it's kept in such an ultra-dense configuration, I point out "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." and that this same society can produce anti-matter by the ton, travel between stars in hours, possesses beam cannons that can glass whole planets, and whose vessels are routinely hit by those cannons.

There was a time we were pretty sure we'd never break the sound barrier. A stone age human would be utterly confounded by our current technology. (granted, 500 years is quite a fast advancement.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:53:32 pm by Mars »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Perhaps it was for the Vasudans. I've always wondered about that. What would have happened to the losing species of the Terran / Vasudan war exactly?

I don't think either side would have utterly genocided the other - if the hatred was that strong, they'd never have been able to forge an alliance, Shivans or no Shivans. If it were me, I'd have kept the Vasudans either planet bound and disarmed or eliminated their shipyards and allowed them to buy Terran ships (utterly disarmed, of course, with some kind of tracking device in each ship). I guess it'd depend largely on whether they got to keep any/many of their colony worlds. You'd also have to control all the nodes between different systems... actually, that'd be a pretty cool alternate history campaign/story - if the Terrans had won the TV war in 13 years, and the Shivans arrived a year later. Would the eradication of any HoL threat have offset the loss of the Vasudans? Would they ever have been able to stop Lucy without the Vasudan discovered ancient research? Would the Terrans use captured Vasudan vessels?

Interesting.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline -Norbert-

Considering the reason for the war was a stupid translation mistake I take it a peace treaty could have been reached, or at least a conditional surrender, after the home system of either species got cut off from the rest of the universe.
In case of a surrender, limiting the loser military to a certain size is far more likely than a full dismantling of their fleet, otherwise you would either hang out a welcome sign for any wannabe pirate all over terran and vasudan space to come to a free banquet or be forced into a permanent military occupation. Neither of which is an ideal situaton.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality

About the length of an Ursa

Offline Luis Dias

People here spoke about an anti-matter / matter bomb.

Hell, why not a fully antimatter bomb? Shoot it against the hull of a ship and the antimatter just marries up with the hull in an orgasmic light fashion, using up all the remaining pieces of hull matter around the core of the explosion as shrapnel against the ship itself.

And Booom, one big hole in the hull.

(Probably not worth the cost.... conventional missiles are way cheaper ;))

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
About the length of an Ursa
hmm I think we should use Ursas for torpedoes so then we can fire torpedoes from our torpedoes
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That would probably not work all that well since one of the big challenges with AM weapons is getting a good mixture.

If you're not familiar with it, there are already a number of antimatter or m/am weapons in FreeSpace, like the original Tsunami (which was pure antimatter) or the Helios (which was a matter/antimatter mixture.)

In reality antimatter weapons are unlikely to outperform nukes.

Offline Droid803

Tsunami = AM
Harbinger = Nuke

Case and point, pretty much, summing up difficulties of AM weapons (in FS verse at least).
You can actually kill stuff with Harbingers.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Helios is also matter / anti-matter to be fair.

I imagine a nuke that fuses Lithium or the like will outperform a Hydrogen bomb by a significant margin. Also, I'm sure at that point in technology, a fission seed won't be as important.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Wait... a Harbinger is 5 GT... so then what the hell kind of yield does the Apocalypse have?
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that