Author Topic: Diomedes vs. Karuna  (Read 28398 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
From what I recall of the Darkest Hour in my last play through a while back, the Valerie came fairly close to destroying the Indus despite having no support and being pounded by UEF fighters. That makes me wonder, if it was just one on one, can a Diomedes match a Karuna?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
From what I recall of the Darkest Hour in my last play through a while back, the Valerie came fairly close to destroying the Indus despite having no support and being pounded by UEF fighters. That makes me wonder, if it was just one on one, can a Diomedes match a Karuna?

We've tested this in BPmulti, if the Diomedes can bring all 4 beams to bear (flying under the Karuna), then the karuna can't even put up a fight. If it gets even 2 beams, the Dio will still win. Best bet to to drop it in reverse and let the gauss cannons do their job.

EDIT: I've even flown a Dio right between a Karuna and a Sanctus, it gutted them both in no time flat.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
It's a pretty interesting fight actually. I believe the Karuna has a bit of a range advantage on the Diomedes, and can use reverse thrust. The Diomedes has to go broadside to be the most effective and cannot close distance while running perpendicular to the Karuna's flight path. I've seen the fight go both ways.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
IIRC Diomedes was pretty late addition to BP2 in its development stage, so it is entirely possible it packs a bit too much punch. Not saying it does or does not, only that it might have needed a bit more tweaking.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
A Karuna can easily down a Dio if its flown right and plays the the Karuna's advantages (turn speed, narrow, gauss range, faster, etc), its just if you do get in a broad side, or worse, fly over the Dio, You're gone before you can realize your mistake.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline qwadtep

It really comes down to placement, I think. The Karuna has the speed and range to dance just beyond the Dio's reach while pecking away with torpedoes but a close jump by the Dio will shred the Karuna in no time.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I remember when I added a diomedes jumping between the Meridian and the two Karunas in Post Meridian coop. I had to add very strong guardianning logic to make sure the frigates would survive to jump out instead of getting gutted in literally a couple of seconds. Those things are scaring under the right circumstances. And this might be war, but with Steele, the right circumstances can become more likely than you'd think.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

I'm not sure if there's any basis for this, but it really seems like the TerSlashBlue spends a lot more time on target than the old green TerSlash does. Certainly contributes to the Diomedes being dangerous.

Offline crizza

Would it work if the Dio makes a barrel roll?

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Does the campaign Karuna have reverse thrust, or is that just the playable one?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It does not, due to the fact that gliding capships are something the AI doesn't really have a handle on.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Diomedes and Karunas are representitive of both factions capabilities. GTVA is close in, quickly deadly, and efficient, UEF is long ranged, disarms more than right out kills, and works close to home.

I'd be willing to bet that the Diomedes has more in terms of long-term endurance, fighter repair facilities, and subspace recharge time while the Karuna has a more powerful air wing, a faster real-space speed, and so on.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It does not, due to the fact that gliding capships are something the AI doesn't really have a handle on.

Does that mean those abilities are canon?

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I'd been wondering about that.  If I recall, in Delenda Est a lot less frigates would have died if they used reverse thrust and fired as they retreated.  It seems like a major plot point was hung on bad AI.

Offline qwadtep

The Titan's forward beams have better range than anything on a Karuna or Sanctus so reverse thrusting would have been pointless. Since the frigates presumably wouldn't have had enough time to charge their jump drives even if they tried to flee, the best option remaining would have been to try to punch through to the Imperieuse's broadside where they at least stood a chance.

And half the Wargods captains have death wishes and wanted to ram the thing so hey.

The Titan's forward beams have better range than anything on a Karuna or Sanctus so reverse thrusting would have been pointless. Since the frigates presumably wouldn't have had enough time to charge their jump drives even if they tried to flee, the best option remaining would have been to try to punch through to the Imperieuse's broadside where they at least stood a chance.

And half the Wargods captains have death wishes and wanted to ram the thing so hey.

If they were going to try to ram anything, it should have been the Carthage. They were actually close enough for it to work for once.

I take the Katana's capabilities in TBI as non-canon, as:
1) The Katana jams slashing beams in TBI, which we're repeatedly told is impossible over the course of the campaign;
2) Aristeia, which occurs several weeks after the fall of Jupiter, is supposedly the first time the GTVA saw beam-jamming technology;
3) If the Katana can actually jam beams, Captain Gennady ends up looking pretty stupid when his ship gets skewered by the Imperieuse.
4) Ditto for not using afterburners when trying to charge across a ten-kilometer kill zone to ram the Imperieuse.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:24:27 am by LordPomposity »

Offline -Norbert-

Good points except for 2).
No GTVA ships warped out to report their findings and in the mission with the Presejet we learned that a Karuna can jam GTVA long range communication (and the Arcadia can probably too). So even if the GTVA got beam-jammed there the for the first time, with no survivers that information died with the present ships.
Serkr and the Hood on the other hand got out of there to tell the tale, which should catapult UEF AWACS right to the top of GTVA target priority lists in WiH2.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
There is something you're not taking into account : your jamming is only as good as the counter-jamming is bad. We know jamming can be forced through since the Hood will eventually LRBGreen the Sanctuses in Aristeia if you don't take out its frontal beam first.

Beam jamming isn't an all-powerful force. Just like communication jamming, it's electronic warfare, with similar rules on the field. The ships in TBI might have been surprised, the Imperieuse sure wasn't.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline crizza

Guess the Feds should develop a jump inhibitor or something which prevents the Tevs for plotting escape jumps or not allowing them to jump in too close, so they could pick them of with Narayanas

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken