Author Topic: Diomedes vs. Karuna  (Read 28401 times)

Offline -Norbert-

There is something you're not taking into account : your jamming is only as good as the counter-jamming is bad. We know jamming can be forced through since the Hood will eventually LRBGreen the Sanctuses in Aristeia if you don't take out its frontal beam first.

Beam jamming isn't an all-powerful force. Just like communication jamming, it's electronic warfare, with similar rules on the field. The ships in TBI might have been surprised, the Imperieuse sure wasn't.
True, but with the Station, all the infrastructur and two Frigates present, I think they got more than enough juice to jam the GTVA Corvettes in TBI, to make sure the GTVA doesn't learn of their ability to jam beams just yet.

Good points except for 2).
No GTVA ships warped out to report their findings and in the mission with the Presejet we learned that a Karuna can jam GTVA long range communication (and the Arcadia can probably too). So even if the GTVA got beam-jammed there the for the first time, with no survivers that information died with the present ships.
Serkr and the Hood on the other hand got out of there to tell the tale, which should catapult UEF AWACS right to the top of GTVA target priority lists in WiH2.
Is it actually possible to destroy the Triteia in TBI? I know there's an event in the mission file to account for its destruction, but it's always escaped in my playthroughs.

woot i brought the thread back to diomedes vs karuna :p

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Guess the Feds should develop a jump inhibitor or something which prevents the Tevs for plotting escape jumps or not allowing them to jump in too close, so they could pick them of with Narayanas
the only way you can inhibit subspace jumps is by manipulating gravity if memory serves.
Star Wars type interdictors anyone? :nervous:

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Is it actually possible to destroy the Triteia in TBI? I know there's an event in the mission file to account for its destruction, but it's always escaped in my playthroughs.

Shoot at the engines, as always.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Shoot at the engines, as always.
Wait, does the capship command script allow for subsystem targeting? Or do you just need to position your ship so that shots at the Triteia are likely to hit the engines?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Latter

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Guess the Feds should develop a jump inhibitor or something which prevents the Tevs for plotting escape jumps or not allowing them to jump in too close, so they could pick them of with Narayanas
the only way you can inhibit subspace jumps is by manipulating gravity if memory serves.
Star Wars type interdictors anyone? :nervous:
heh. no. not in freespace/bp-verse in any case.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Manipulating gravity on such a scale isn't exactly a small feat. We know the Vishnans use very strong gravity forces instead of magnetic bottles for their beams, and Knossos portals probably manipulate gravity to some degree (we know gravity is a major data in subspace theory). We know the GTVA and the Feds master gravity to some degree (Sol Portal, intra-system jump gates, gravity aboard ships), but it's not exactly an energy-cheap technology (we know UEF capships use rotators to save reactor power).

Since intra-system subspace requires a gravity field to operate, you'd need to cancel the gravitational interactions on a specific ship to prevent it from entering subspace... in theory.

Offline Qent

Maybe you could play with (gravity?) sensor readings so they can't reliably plot a jump. Just plotting jumps isn't trivial in BP either.

Offline crizza

It was just a thought, after replaying Homeworld ^^

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Maybe you could play with (gravity?) sensor readings so they can't reliably plot a jump. Just plotting jumps isn't trivial in BP either.
That could be an alternative, but then, crash jumps come into play. It would still remain interesting tactically since crash jumps aren't exactly a safe procedure (risk of ending in low sun orbit or other displeasant surprises, risk of jump drive or even reactor failure, and in the best of cases, need for the jump drive to recharge and hence vulnerability to enemy strikes unless you're equipped with sprint jump drives).

It was just a thought, after replaying Homeworld ^^
HW > *

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Diomedes and Karunas are representitive of both factions capabilities. GTVA is close in, quickly deadly, and efficient, UEF is long ranged, disarms more than right out kills, and works close to home.

I'd be willing to bet that the Diomedes has more in terms of long-term endurance, fighter repair facilities, and subspace recharge time while the Karuna has a more powerful air wing, a faster real-space speed, and so on.

Hammer, nail.

Offline mr.WHO

About gravity and jump intradiction topic. I think that cost-effective way for jump intradiction would be some form of strong but short gravity pulse/ping that would screw jump calculation and jump process which would cause jump calculation distrubtion (aka good variant), blind jump (risky variant) or big dammage to the jump drive (very bad variant).

Obviously such short pulse would have to be used during target jump drive charge up, or (for continous jump intrediction) ship would have to be dedicated intredictor with paper thin armor, size of a corvette and AWAC-class arnaments. Because option B would be both time consuming and expensive I think that UEF would reconfigure their AWACS to use those pulse, while GTVA might have some dedicated intredictors as a secret projects.

The obvious side effect of such pulse would be that all jumpdrives in range would be temporary distrupted so if you use the pulse then your ships jumpdrive would be also affected... unless you find a way to make a precise gravity wave, instead of 360-360 pulse (and I'm quite sure such thing would require dedicated intredictor construction instead of typical AWACS).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Very good post Mr. Who, and along the lines of something we were thinking during development - we had the Gefs using modified intersystem gates as interdictors.

Offline Aesaar

Bonus points if they're Homeworld-ish gravwell generators that have the side effect of screwing with fighter movement.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:23:18 am by Aesaar »

Offline qwadtep

Hey, that could be a good use of the unused "planet" code--have gravwells screw with fighter sensors to the point that they think they're crashing.

It sounds like the sort of thing that would work great in a strategy game, but would just be a source of frustration in a fighter sim. Effects that increase challenge by making the player various degrees of impotent generally do not make for fun gameplay.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
It sounds like the sort of thing that would work great in a strategy game, but would just be a source of frustration in a fighter sim. Effects that increase challenge by making the player various degrees of impotent generally do not make for fun gameplay.

I seem to recall quite a lack of shields, sensors, or even shield penetrating weps in FS1. It added to the "Oh ****" effect quite nicely.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

I recall three missions without sensors, and four where you're fighting a shielded opponent and didn't have shields yourself. And you had shield-penetrating dumbfire missiles in all of them.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
And I doubt whatever would screw up the fighter would be in all missions.

Point is, you are incrediby crippled for the beginning of FS1, you have little to no power to take down your enemy. If you're going to complain about something that could be used once and a while to make things interesting, be sure to complain at every little thing that could ever give you a small disadvantage to the already handicapped AI.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them