Author Topic: Batch 2 of Salty's ponderings; ITT: UEF SSM's, Raynor oddities, and Hyperion ?s  (Read 24948 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: Batch 2 of Salty's ponderings; ITT: UEF SSM's, Raynor oddities, and Hyperion ?s
All of BP's ships were taken from premade packs as far as I know.
Their original work comes mostly from skyboxes I think.

Edit: And code off course!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Batch 2 of Salty's ponderings; ITT: UEF SSM's, Raynor oddities, and Hyperion ?s
All of BP's ships were taken from premade packs as far as I know.
Their original work comes mostly from skyboxes I think.

Edit: And code off course!

And a lot of scripting, including a bunch of stuff that went into the 3.6.12 MVPs.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Most of the actual model assets in BP aren't original.  BP just made them famous.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Raynor is a terrible name.  I'd change it, but the compatibility issues that would cause are unacceptable.

I'd have called it either Atreides or Erebus.  You know, something in keeping with GTVA naming conventions.
But is not Raynor the/a greek god of strength? Hence keeping entirely in line with GTVA naming conventions.

Offline Aesaar

I've never heard of that.

And a google search reveals nothing except the obvious Starcraft use.  Same goes for Wikipedia.

Offline An4ximandros

It seems to be old Norse, though, given ships types like Valkyrie, it still fits.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
from the point of view of someone who has never cared about name origin enough to look anything up and can associate only the most obvious greek god ones and the like, "raynor" simply sounds better than those other two mentioned.  and i like that i don't have to think for a few seconds on how to pronounce it when i look at the name.  or worse, just completely guess and then have a small part of my own personal FS world come crashing down when it finally gets voice-acted.  (bei was always pronounced like "by" in my head.  and that little voice in there still screams over the VA to drown it out.)
I like to stare at the sun.

I've only seen meanings for the name Raynor (from baby naming sites so take that as you will), but based on that it fits with the Freespace ship's role.

Meaning:
Scandinavian: Mighty Army
English: Strong Counselor
Norse: Brave One

I actually never had a problem with the Raynor, but that might have something to do with the fact that I grew up playing a lot of Starcraft.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I haven't bought or played any commercial resource-intensive game since SimCity 4 but I find the name "Raynor" to be quite fitting. :P
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Aesaar

I still don't think it's a good name, but that's moot anyway.  It isn't changing.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
In 300 years Starcraft and the characters in it may have the same literary status as ancient greek myths and deities. :p
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Frankly, if we're including South Korea in this I think Starcraft has already achieved that...

After the quality of the story in Wings of Liberty, I don't think so there will be any cult following.

A Wedge Antilles-class carrier, though... :p
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
After the quality of the story in Wings of Liberty, I don't think so there will be any cult following.

A Wedge Antilles-class carrier, though... :p

Star Craft has been a religion in South Korea since SC1
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

South Korea, yeah, not worldwide.  I'm waiting for the Star Trek Wars and the Star Wars Trek, but I don't think there will be anything similar from Korea. :P
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Raynor is an awesome name. And there are only so many names in Greek mythology.

Besides: RAYNOR. It looks cool, it sounds cool, and it evokes the awesome wrath of the Hero Marine/Vulture Bike.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

There are a lot of names in Greek mythology.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Yeah, but how many of them sound cool?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline An4ximandros

Pluto should be the new name, it's the Hades done right.  :P

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The Hades has almost 4-8x the armor. It can *actually* tank.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================