Author Topic: The magnificent New Year's update - Age of Aquarius Edition  (Read 25171 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: The magnificent New Year's update - Age of Aquarius Edition
Cheers, battuta what a difference that has made, fps has jumped up to 125! cheers :)

These new builds have weird issues on ATI cards if vsync or shadows are enabled. We should probably set both of those off by default.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
@starbug: I wonder why your FPS dips so low though. I have an inferior rig to yours (Phenom II X4 @3.00ghz; HD 5770; 8 Gigs Ram) and I ran through WiH's first mission with the lowest fps of around 27. This is with -shadow_quality 2, -fxaa_preset 9, and everything else pretty much on max (VSync active too).
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline crizza

I still have problems, any idea?

The same problems? Or other ones? The log shows only a warning (and you know you can click through those, right?).
Oh, my bad, the game works, just wanted to be sure that the warning is realy about the missing textures.
Thank you good sir. :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The warning you did get was about something even more trivial than missing textures.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline crizza

Yeah, but even this warning doesn't show up anymore.
God how I have missed playing BP and how I'm angry with myself about lacking skills with blender, PCS2 and so on :D

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I wonder why your FPS dips so low though. I have an inferior rig to yours (Phenom II X4 @3.00ghz; HD 5770; 8 Gigs Ram) and I ran through WiH's first mission with the lowest fps of around 27. This is with -shadow_quality 2, -fxaa_preset 9, and everything else pretty much on max (VSync active too).

@Crybertrance: I have no idea, but for some reason on the HD6670 i have always had problems with older games, new ones run like a dream but older ones like freespace and Knights of the old republic etc i have always had framerate issues
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Echelon9

Something is wrong with the 7z package.
Have downloaded the non-executable archive (for Linux/MacOS) from FSMods, and getting the files and folder structure but all zero kb files.

Still having this issue Echelon?
Yes, unfortunately. Have tried with a different Mac 7zip decompresser (7zx) and still seeing the same problem.
I don't suppose any Linux users have tried? Is there a command line equivalent of untar -xvzf that support 7zip?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
My download worked OK.  tar doesn't have a plugin for 7z as far as I know.  I generally install a package called something like 7z / 7z-full / p7zip to handle 7z's.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Cheers, battuta what a difference that has made, fps has jumped up to 125! cheers :)

These new builds have weird issues on ATI cards if vsync or shadows are enabled. We should probably set both of those off by default.

I'm having no issues with either of those on a Radeon 6950. Not sure if that's actually useful information for you, just thought I'd post in case you're trying to narrow down a problem.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:41:53 pm by LordPomposity »

Your use of <unordered_map> is making the patched version of Antipodes impossible to compile on Linux with newer versions of gcc.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Your use of <unordered_map> is making the patched version of Antipodes impossible to compile on Linux with newer versions of gcc.

And I can fix that how....? That's a serious question, as a windows-only developer, I don't know how to fix this.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Just remove this from the patch, or ifdef it out if __GNUC__ is defined.  I'm not sure what to do to make it compatible with OSX (if indeed anything needs doing at all).

Code: [Select]
Index: code/globalincs/vmallocator.h
===================================================================
--- code/globalincs/vmallocator.h       (revision 9480)
+++ code/globalincs/vmallocator.h       (working copy)
@@ -8,6 +8,7 @@
 #include <map>
 #include <string>
 #include <queue>
+#include <unordered_map>

#if defined __GNUC__
 #define GCC_VERSION (__GNUC__ * 10000 + __GNUC_MINOR__ * 100 + __GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline ^Graff

Trying to run on the regular BP build tells me that Antipodes has crashed.  Running on the debug build, the game locks up every time I try to load the Bellerophon (yes, I am using the model posted earlier in this thread.)

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
Originally posted by Anduril:
Dang, Graff, you good.  :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
  -novbo
  -disable_fbo
  -no_glsl

I'd worry about these. Maybe turn them off?

Also try switching to 32 bit color.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Trying to run on the regular BP build tells me that Antipodes has crashed.  Running on the debug build, the game locks up every time I try to load the Bellerophon (yes, I am using the model posted earlier in this thread.)

The game is creating cache files for the new Bellerophon model. This takes some time, during which the game will be unresponsive, but not dead. Do not interrupt this process.

And yes, the flags Battuta mentioned should not be necessary (although the GPU you are using is a bit on the old side). Are you sure you're using the correct drivers for it?

Just remove this from the patch, or ifdef it out if __GNUC__ is defined.  I'm not sure what to do to make it compatible with OSX (if indeed anything needs doing at all).

Index: code/globalincs/vmallocator.h
===================================================================
--- code/globalincs/vmallocator.h       (revision 9480)
+++ code/globalincs/vmallocator.h       (working copy)
@@ -8,6 +8,7 @@
 #include <map>
 #include <string>
 #include <queue>
+#include <unordered_map>

#if defined __GNUC__
 #define GCC_VERSION (__GNUC__ * 10000 + __GNUC_MINOR__ * 100 + __GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__)

I tried that, and I'm still getting the same error I got before.

You're still compiling with -std=c++11. The patch lets you compile without that flag, so take it out of your CXXFLAGS.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Did a make clean, reconfigured it, but it still didn't compile. On the off chance I did something weird, I checked out a fresh copy of Antipodes from the head (build 9480 as of this post), applied the modified patch, and compiled without the C++11 flag as you suggested. It works now. Thanks for the help!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
you might need a "make distclean" to remove all the compiler configuration files before re-running autogen.sh.  But hey, your way works too :)
----
----

Offline Ranger1

Using the new builds for AOA I have been having an issue that I'm not sure was intended or if there is a setting that can be adjusted.  When a ship jumps in or jumps out the vortex puts out so much light it drowns out all the objects on screen and they turn almost white until it the jump point closes, same with beams.  Also the landing bay lights on the raynor and titan turn the entire bay yellow when one flashes.  The red marker light on the midships of the Chimera has the center span of the hull constantly a shape of red and then half the ship does the same when it flashes. 

Attached below are 3 screens using this new build.  Maybe someone has an idea or I missed a setting somewhere.  They used to not behave this way during gameplay.
-The first lights1.jpg pay attention to the circled areas.  The lights flood the entire area around where they blink and the chimeras have that constant red glow.
-The second and thrid are the chimera and the raynor in the tech database behaving the way they used to and what appears to be more appropriate.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]