Author Topic: FRED Academy  (Read 270443 times)

Offline Luigi30

Offline Luigi30

I can't find FRED2 Open for download anywhere. Where is it?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You'll have to use a CVS build from the recent builds subforum (look under the SCP forum for it).

Be warned that there may be issues with FRED in the latest one so I'd reccomend going for this version for now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luigi30

When aren't there issues with FRED?

Offline Luigi30

You'll have to use a CVS build from the recent builds subforum (look under the SCP forum for it).

Be warned that there may be issues with FRED in the latest one so I'd reccomend going for this version for now.

I was promised FRED with less issues, that build crashes when trying to place a Levi or Aeolus, each model has about 6000 more normals than FRED can handle, according to the error.

EDIT: Aha, cruiser1.pof again. It's got 17000 normals. Maybe that's why I get 3fps when a Fenris is on screen. With my 6600GT.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 08:55:38 pm by Luigi30 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Create a shortcut for FRED, rightmouse it click properties and change the target to fred2_open_r.exe -fredhtl -jpgtga -spec -glow

Offline Luigi30

Create a shortcut for FRED, rightmouse it click properties and change the target to fred2_open_r.exe -fredhtl -jpgtga -spec -glow

Didn't help.

Error: Model 'cruiser2t-01.pof' has too many normals (12708)! Needs to be less than 6500!

when placing an Aeolus.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
You could go for fred2_open 3.6.5, it's reasonably old, but it's quite sturdy from my experience...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Didn't help.

Error: Model 'cruiser2t-01.pof' has too many normals (12708)! Needs to be less than 6500!

when placing an Aeolus.

Ah. I know the cause. I've managed to get it myself. Turn the models on and the outlines off from the view menu and things work again.

I'll go mantis this one now.

EDIT : No need to mantis. It's fixed in 30/01/06 - Although that one appears to have a much more serious bug in it and I'm absolutely not going to save anything using that build till I know what caused it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 06:37:34 am by karajorma »

Offline Luigi30

That's not going to help if my models are causing it.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Just a check... did you put fred2_open_r.exe -fredhtl -jpgtga -spec -glow (3.6.7 FRED) to the command line or for example fred2_open_r-20060130.exe -jpgtga -fredhtl -spec -glow -mod mediavps (CVS 30/01/06 FRED)?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

I assure you it will. FRED placed the Aeolus model just fine when I tried it. The second I tried to change to wireframe it crashed out on me with exactly the error you described.

Offline Luigi30

I assure you it will. FRED placed the Aeolus model just fine when I tried it. The second I tried to change to wireframe it crashed out on me with exactly the error you described.

Bleh. We posted at the same time, and I was responding to Mefustae's post.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Wasn't certain and Mefustae could actually be correct. There isn't actually anything wrong with the model and it could very easily be the fact that whatever was broken was broken quite recently :)

Offline Luigi30

Using ship models worked. But won't that get slow a lot quicker than outlines?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Probably will but until the current issues with CVS are fixed you don't have much choice. You could always try to do all the placing of backgrounds etc first and then place the models. It's not like the FPS is that important in FRED anyway :)

Offline Luigi30

If the FPS drops below 55, FRED explodes.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I'm currently using FRED_Open 3.6.5, which does not show Nebulas or support the 3.6.8 vp's among other things, so what version of FRED_Open is the latest, and which version will work with the 3.6.8 .vp's? I tried the build Kara posted earlier, but I get an error reading;

This application has failed to start because OpenAL32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem

Little help?

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Rule of thumb. If application X asks for obscure dll Y then GOOGLE will usually find obscure dll Y. Thank you for your time :P.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Well, you learn something new everyday. Thanks IP :yes: