Author Topic: Multiple Joysticks?  (Read 3931 times)

Hi! I'm a big fan of FS2Open, and i just got ahold of a pair of old gameport CH pedals on the cheap ('twas a bit of an impulse purchase, since i'm not a big sim geek.). I was able to get them to work through a generic gameport-to-USB adapter, but the one problem is that FS2Open seems to only allow the use of one joystick, meaning i can't use the my stick and pedals at the same time.

I'd love to be able to use these things in Freespace 2, since i use an old stick with no twisty handle. Is there any way i can jury rig this (preferrably in Linux, but i can do windows if necessary), or is there any plan to implement native support for multisticks?

Thanks very much!

AS far as i know last time it was asked it was replyed that we'll have to wait to rewrite the pilot code.
Anyway you still can use multiple joystick with using ppjoy, it works well for my g940 who is recognised as three joystick.
http://ppjoy.blogspot.com/
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Whoops! I didn't search hard enough before, but i found the post you were talking about, as well as the tutorial. Thanks!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'd really like to see multiple joystick support, but unless it'll get implemented, you're stuck with profilers.
Also, if you're also using a CH joystick, you can use CH Control Manager to combine it with pedals.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im not sure of a linuxy way of doing this. youd need to find someone with more linux experience, in theory it should be possible. ive always used ch control manager (im a ch user), but where that fails i usually get ppjoy and glovepie.

this seems like a topic we end up going over every 3 months. its a feature that has been requested time and time again since the start of the scp. its something that will probably happen eventually, just not any time soon.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Well i think it's a part that begin to be quite archaïc.
If we could have multiple joystick and a response curve editor (like in lock on for exemple)
it would be awesome.
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
big problem with that is interface. where would it go. perhaps some sort of lab-esque dropdown menu.

just supporting the use of multiple axes would be good at first, and then we could apply polish later on. and there will be a huge debate over weather this would break multiplayer like we had when discussing changes to the mouse. ive gone on about "input overhauls" before, but if i could just have one thing it would be axis binds for lateral vertical and reverse thrusters.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually, I think once we get SDL input on Windows and get rid of DirectInput it should be possible.  That's on the table.  Just no ETA yet, sorry.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Actually, I think once we get SDL input on Windows and get rid of DirectInput it should be possible.  That's on the table.  Just no ETA yet, sorry.
Honestly, DirectInput is more than capable of multiple joysticks (even basic win32 api is able to do 2 or 4, whereas DirectInput is able to have upto 8 IIRC).

The real problem really was/is the pilot code and that no one wants to implement something that will be replaced "soon".  Of course there is also just the normal matter of priorities on the coders part as always.  Keep in mind that SDL input on windows is implemented in terms of DirectInput anyways, the only benefit is that using SDL would make it cross platform.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah I think the idea is to get Windows on SDL first so it doesn't have to be done for both SDL and DirectInput in our code.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays