Author Topic: RELEASE: Uncharted Territory  (Read 48126 times)

Re: RELEASE: Uncharted Territory
Ah wait, I confused mission 5+6 with mission 6+7
Well, I played on insane until I finished "Division", lowered the difficulty for "Gate Keeper" after a few tries.
I just looked at "Division" again, after 8 minutes gametime the time until arrival to the waypoint (as the Crane was destroyed) for the Atlas was over 12 minutes. Don't think it's probable that you can do this. Just tried ordering everyone to protect the Crane, and defending the Reiul myself, still doesn't work, it dies too fast. Don't know if removing Cancer wing will help there, but I think it probably will (only half the enemy fighters for my wingmen).
Didn't do the reverse of trying to defend the Crane myself, hoping my wingman will handle the Reiul, but because of the cover the Ravana gives the spawning bombers, I think this is doomed to fail.
Especially if you had a bad start, the Reiul gets scratched by the Ravanas beam and begins with 29% Hull (~1 Megabomb hit).

That's why I sacrificed the Cane and Atlas later, and just tried to get the Reiul through, which wasn't that hard.
That came back to haunt me in "Gate Keeper" though, because being ganged by 4 Seraphim and 2-4 Basilisk again and again in forced close combat (no AWACS) was a little frustrating, so I toned it down to very easy (yeah I suck :> ) and finished it.

[edit]
Didn't really say it yet, but I liked your campaign as well, especially that tagging was fun :>

Offline ReeNoiP

• I FRED
The Atlas is heading for the same waypoint as the Reuil and will jump out along with it, so that waypoint time won't give you an indication of the remaining mission time. Look at the waypoint time for the Reuil instead.

I just played it again (on medium, no way I'm good enough for Insane) and managed to save everyone by having Delta guard the Reuil, Alpha (including me) the Atlas and Beta the Crane (Atlas after evac). Total mission time around 11 minutes.
Uncharted Territory is released. But I still need voice actors

Hello Guys,

@ReeNoiP:
The first time i played your fine campain on "Very Easy"
On this diff. level I wiped the floor with the shivans. It was very funny.

After your release i tried on Medium. And here begins the nightmare.

First Mission i lost any times the Crane.
then easy going until the Mission the "Seventh Symbol" here i needed your advance and i think 8 or 9 runs.

Next Mission i lost the complete science group, and any times the Crane+Atlas.

Now i think my skills are not good enough for this 2 Missions on Medium.

But this is really no problem i can go back to Easy and all will be fine.

Greets Peter

Ok, I did it.
\o/
Finished division on insane, succesfully protected the Atlas and the Crane until it got evacuated (got destroyed later). Involved a little meta-gaming, but it worked.
Almost died at the end to a stupid manticore :/

That's how:
Send alpha 4 and delta wing (myrmidons) to protect the Reuil, send alpha 2 and 3 to engage the enemy, let beta (ares) defend the crane, later the atlas. Tell all fighters to ignore the Ravana (maybe not necessary, but did it all the time anyway to prevent the wingmen from doing stupid things)
That takes care of the Reuil without problems (alpha 2 and 3 are invulnerable, they will charge first, get attacked by the Maras but don't die, while delta will kill the now defenseless bombers)
After libra jumps in, shoot down 1 or 2 fighters, then go to the other side of the Crane and intercept the first wave of cancer, let one live and make him attack you, then tell everyone else to ignore it. Keep in skirmish, while beta defends the Crane and later the Atlas against libra.
Sometimes a Mara breaks off from the fight at the Reuil, you have to survive and kill it somehow.

Now, on to the next missions!

The really ugly thing about cancer wing is, that it spawns on the opposite side of the Crane, so they will be ignored by your wingmates (those still fight with libra) and destroy the Crane almost unbothered, and even if you attack them 2 or 3 will fly past you.

Offline ReeNoiP

• I FRED
Very nice work  :yes:. I think I'll make it so there is only one wave from Cancer wing, that way you won't have to keep that one fighter alive.

Unfortunately you won't get the good ending unless the Atlas survives after evacuating. But if you don't want to replay the whole campaign again, you could always ctrl+shift+s at the techroom and play through the good ending (mission 8b and mission 9).

Wow Uchuujinsan this sounds as when you play a strategy game like C+C  :D
No i am not so an strategic player. I think this is the reason why i am loose in higher Diff. levels.

For example: BP:forced Entry i never win without cheating.  :doubt:

But it was me a pleasure to test your campaign. Every time again  :pimp: :lol: :)

Very nice work  :yes:. I think I'll make it so there is only one wave from Cancer wing, that way you won't have to keep that one fighter alive.

Unfortunately you won't get the good ending unless the Atlas survives after evacuating. But if you don't want to replay the whole campaign again, you could always ctrl+shift+s at the techroom and play through the good ending (mission 8b and mission 9).
Oh, the Atlas did survive, the Crane didn't (I hope it's not necessary to keep that doomed and disabled ship alive until everyone warps out :) )

The idea about cancer wing will help a lot I think.

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
Looks interesting...I'll get to it....after I finish ASW.  :P
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

Offline ReeNoiP

• I FRED
Just a little heads up if anyone feel like replaying the campaign. I have just made an update including with better spelling and grammar, nicer backgrounds in the later missions and a few other things.

Links have been updated in the initial post.

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign, and my only gripe is the occasional missing comma.
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

There are quite a few commas still missing, really, but I only wanted to change things that stuck out too much to ignore. Apart from a couple of lines, the text is is all ReeNoiP's. I just changed spelling, and punctuation where I thought it was absolutely required. Some of the phrasing isn't quite colloquial English but I thought it was effective the way it was.

I found we can't use apostrophes or semi-colons in briefings!

Anyway, in 300 years they probably won't speak as we do now. Our English will sound to them about as odd as Shakespeare does to us...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
You can use apostrophes. I figured you mean double quotation marks (" "). This can be circumvented by typing $quote and semicolons can be inserted by typing &semicolon.

Most campaigns use contemporary English. It hasn't been an issue that campaigns used colloquial language yet. It's fine the way it is. Making up all sorts of neologisms just to make the language they use sound futuristic can be confusing, especially for non-native speakers of English. I myself consider language in FreeSpace to be utilitarian: it's crucial for the player to understand what is going on.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
When you type "" in a briefing text, FRED will change it to $quote for you. It will still appear as "" in game.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline ReeNoiP

• I FRED
I think you can get away with semicolon as well if you write $;. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign, and my only gripe is the occasional missing comma.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I will try to have someone check my grammar on my next project as well. Seems I should have taken those advanced English lessons  :(.

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
I played the campaign entierly and it was quite cool.
However, some of the phrases, especially in the last missions, seemed a bit strange...
Especially that "You are violating orders." when the Argo moves to rescue the AWACS.
It sound like a child trying to be serious, but crying at same time. "GEEZ This is so damn unfair, lolwut :(:(:(You're violating orders. So come back. Booya!"

I really liked the carrier model, too ! However, the nameplate's font looks strange.

Spoon, TopAce:  Thanks, filed for future use.

Downloading uct1_1....

And ready for the next run in Uncharted Territory  :)

So i played on Easy Difficulty (Medium was to hard for me in the past *gg*)
Was nice to play, no Errors @ all .
Again very nice Campaign. Looking foreward for Voice Acting gg

Greetings Peter

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I got around to mirroring this:

http://freespacemods.net/download.php?view.603
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline ReeNoiP

• I FRED
Thank you. Added to the initial post.

Since it has another stable mirror now, is there a chance to get it added to the campaign list in the wiki?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:54:58 am by ReeNoiP »