Author Topic: Freelancer  (Read 5021 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Is it worth 8 quid?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Not sure what a quid is, but if it's 8 dollar I'd say give it a try.  :)

The models are a little lowpoly, but it has nice background and the fight and flight system is fun. It has no joystick support (Afaik) but it's the only flight game I know that has an excellent mouse control for the flight. The story is also not bad, even if the ending suffers from budget shortenings and a rushed release. One thing is to mention, while you can fly a lot on the 3rd axis, everything in the universe is more or less placed on the same height level. But this doesn't hurt the play fun.

And since the voiceacting was even good in the german version, it can only be good in the original. :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
The story is good up until the very end.  other than that shortcoming, i think its a good game.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Oh, and I forgot those excellent localized nebulae, asteroid and debrisfields :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
The game mechanics are generally crap and the story certainly isn't a marvel of originality, but it still manages to be entertaining the first few times through. And exploring is fun.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Stir up trouble with the local pirates is fun.

The only real fun is in multiplayer, where it's truly freeform, and you can kill humans rather than AI. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Good music, fun to play, story isn't grand but it's coherent and makes sense.

Just remember you'll be better off ignoring the story summons at certain points so you can build up your cash reserves and get a better ship.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Eh.  It's a fun diversion for a short while.  No real lasting value - the weapons are far too samey for that - but it's a short little diversion. 

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
8 quid should be about $16 cdn, if i'm understanding right.  Go for it, i paid full price and don't consider it a waste.  Tis enjoyable enough.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Centrixo

your right there, albiet i got kicked out of a few forum sites, mainly jolt because my views were different.
the game itself is good, i mean how the hell do you survive in some place like tau 29 in the campaign?
then you got the fighters in libery, where you attack a certain object to let a certain ship in to operate in the area, these missions are sane and just possible  :P. but then you got places like the planet trent was rased and the person who rased him, it was interesting to see that :lol:
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Falcon

Freelancer is okay if you have nothing else to do.

Graphics are nice and some of the systems are great to look at. What I really enjoy is the random NPC encounters.

Freelancer could have been better though...

Offline Fergus

Well I bought it shortly after it came out and sort of havn't stopped playing it on and off, even found myself on one of the administration teams for over a year so in the most shameless plugging sort of way...yes, buy, buy, buy.
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Freelancer is good, not great but good, specially if you have the patience to explore all systems, in my opinion if you want more action you're better off getting Starlancer wich is its prequel.

I really enjoyed Freelancer.

If you do too, you'd love Darkstar One.  It's mouse-controlled like Freelancer, mechanics of trade and taking jobs is very similar, but it's different enough to be nowhere near the same game.  I've spent many hours on both.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
A space sim isn't a space sim unless you get to use a joystick! :p

The controls are pretty well done, in the sense that you dont need a joystick to play it to the best of its ability (in fact, some say its better WITHOUT a joystick).

It is a worthy addition to the space sim community, but doesnt come CLOSE to matching up against Freespace 2.  :lol:

Worth getting though. I enjoyed it. But after the main storyline is finished, its gets very boring, very quickly.

Offline Dysko

I hope this is a good thread to post this question: better Freelancer or Starlancer?
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Freelancer IMO. Starlancer I never completed. The second mission with an ion cannon was not possible.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
I'm having trouble distinguishing the two missions, but they were a *****. I got stuck on the last mission.

That last mission was a pain.  I did beat it eventually.  Just gotta realize that despite what the screen might tell you, you don't have a choice in what ship you're flying.  You must have the one with the cloak, or you're toast.