Author Topic: SCP/Multiplayer  (Read 3834 times)

Hello I'm not sure where to ask this but do the team has a project to increase the number of players in multiplayer missions, especially in Team vs Team missions? It would be really cool to be able to play more than a wing of players on each side ^^
Anyway thanks for your already hard work to keep SCP alive I'm really enjoying 3.7.4 final release ;) and I'm eager fo the next release with the new features offered by SDL2!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It would be really cool to be able to play more than a wing of players on each side ^^
...How many people do you have wanting to play FSO multiplayer, exactly?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I play LAN only but we often are more than 10 and Team vs Team isn't an option in this case... Being able to play 8 vs 8 would be so much fun!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
6 vs 6 might be more possible since the maximum number of players for multiplayer is 12. I did once look into the issue but the network code is a complete mess so I didn't try changing anything.

The biggest problem is that the loadout page code makes all kinds of assumptions about how many players there are. IIRC large parts of it would have to be rewritten in order to make anything work.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

OK I understand the problem, 6 vs 6 would already be an improvement but it would force allowing wings of 6 players and it would probably cause some display bugs on the HUD or at the loadout screen?

If I understand correctly we have 2 parameters in FRED:
3 wings used at loadout screen in single player or Coop multiplayer
2 wings used at loadout screen in Team vs Team

To cap the number of player at 12, nothing must change in Coop (3 wings of 4 players), but we should be able to allow 2 wings of 6 players in Team vs Team? Is that a possible thing??

Thanks for the time you took to answer me!

Edit: when I think about it, it's probably hard to do without breaking missions/mods compatibility?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:05:22 am by krevett62 »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually, aren't triangular displays of 6-player wings supported on the HUD and the loadout screen already?

Or could 6v6 TvT be done with two wings of 3 on each team?

Adding support for a feature like this should not break any existing mods or missions, as it would probably have to be configured to use the feature in any new mission.  It would not just suddenly take effect I don't think.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

I've run a short test:

If you create a player wing with more than 4 ships in it, FRED gives you a warning ("Alpha wing has too many ships. Should only have 4 max.") but the missions saves nonetheless.
You can load it in FSO without problem but the loadout screen displays only 4 ships.
But you're right 6 players wings are supported on the HUD!

So it seems it could be possible to do it, I thing the easiest way would be one wing of 6 on each team as it would not change what is displayed in FRED for TvsT setup (the box where you can choose the names for the two players wings). But the limit of four players wing must remain in Coop setting otherwise you could make three wings of six and it would probably cause a mess!

I play LAN only but we often are more than 10 and Team vs Team isn't an option in this case... Being able to play 8 vs 8 would be so much fun!

I would LOVE to get back into multiplayer! Is there still a community for multiplayer here? If not I would love to be part of a multiplayer revival  ;7

I would LOVE to get back into multiplayer! Is there still a community for multiplayer here? If not I would love to be part of a multiplayer revival  ;7

There's the multiplayer subforum if you're searching for online players perhaps?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
There's the HLP Discord server for co-ordinating as well.  At the top of the page, under the HLP drop-down menu.

EDIT: The top-top nav bar, sometimes there are two shown.  The one that begins with "HLP Network"

Interest in multiplayer is rather low because it's basically unplayable at the moment. Might be fun for a short while due to the novelty(or nostalgia) value, but I doubt it would last.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Interest in multiplayer is rather low because it's basically unplayable at the moment. Might be fun for a short while due to the novelty(or nostalgia) value, but I doubt it would last.

In fact that's why I play LAN and not internet multiplayer. We play a custom made mod with custom made missions... We play that between battlefield 2, NWN or rFactor, all old LAN playable games ;)

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
As some people know, I'm interested in improving the playability of Internet multiplayer, starting with FS2 retail and eventually branching out to mods/TCs. If you're interested in helping me test some things out once I'm ready for that, let me know by PM and I'll PM you when I have something ready to test. Be advised though that between RL and my other SCP tasks, it could be at least a few months before I can really look into it. EDIT: Also if you PM me, please let me know what time zone you're in. I'm in US Pacific Time (GMT-8).

As for the OP's question about increasing the number of players in TvT, as far as my own to-do list is concerned, unfortunately other things like making Internet multiplayer  more playable and ensuring that clients can reliably connect to servers will need to take higher priority over new featuress that aren't already in a mod or TC, especially features that may require changes to fundamental assumptions by the game of how many players are on a team. But other coders may feel differently.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 01:03:24 am by jg18 »

Thanks for the input jg, for testing MP you can PM me I live in France but have quite some freedom in my work and if a playtest is scheduled in advance I can try to be available for helping you test some features (even if it's in some months ;)).