Author Topic: Request: Hotkeys for FRED Editors  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Request: Hotkeys for FRED Editors
Before I make my proposal, I would like agian to tank the hard workers of the Source Code Project for their effort to keep an aging game up-to-date free of charge. It would not be an exaggeration to say that every Freespacers owes you a great amount for all your effort.

I have recently started familiarizing myself with the Freespace 2 Mission Editor, its capabilities and features. Although certain capable of impressive feats, it is safe to say FRED's UI unfortunately betrays its age. The two most pressing concerns are how unsafe certain editors are (i.e. how you can erase entire wings or large SEXPs with just one misclicks) and the fact that there are no keyboard shortcuts for the events and ship editors. Even being able to do something as simple as 'add paste' with one press of the INS key, copy & paste with Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V or delete with the DEL key would make creating new events for missions much easier and smoother.

So here is my plea: If there is any way keyboard shortcuts for the FRED subeditors can be implemented, it would be a great boon to every FREDder.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:26:40 am by Torchwood »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Request: Hotkeys for FRED Editors
I don't know how much investment in the existing Fred is for a feature like this, but it is definitely something that could be discussed for the wxFred replacement.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Weirdly there are shortcuts listed but they just don't work.

the fact that there are no keyboard shortcuts for the events and ship editors.
Weirdly there are shortcuts listed but they just don't work.
Err, what ? Since when ?  :wtf:

The listed shortcuts absolutely work on my end, including the ship & event editor. Unless there's some other list of shortcuts I'm unaware of ? Or do you mean shortcuts within those editors ? :confused:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
pretty sure they're talking about shortcuts within the editors. And I'll agree, some extra niceness in the events editor especially would be super useful
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The event editor has been in dire need of modernization for years, but it's never been considered particularly worthwhile compared to, say, getting wxFRED usable (and then, theoretically, wxFRED's event editor would be much easier to improve).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Where can you get wxfred

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
wxFred is currently in development. It's not any use for real FREDding at the moment. Adding the hotkeys to the existing version of FRED might be possible though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]