Author Topic: RELEASE: Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within Teaser Demo v1.0.2 [CLASSIFIED]  (Read 24940 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Re: RELEASE: Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within Teaser Demo v1.0.0 [CLASSIFIED]
@Bryan

Actually, regarding missing subsystems (for that Shivan Comm Node), I have had quite a bit of success handling my own missing subsystem problems in the past. I've been able to make outdated models work, assign new textures, replace missing ones, alter certain subsystem attributes...  :nod:

I just open up POFCS2. Alongside Notepad++ with the appropriate ship table entry. It's a real killer tool for things like this. And I don't even know how to model! I don't have to. Just tweak the POF data.

Basically what I mean to say is that it's quite within the reach of the dev to handle that sort of thing, no modeling experience needed.  :yes:

EDIT: Looks like Nightmare answered this already for Novachen already. What he said. For you Bryan as the dev I'd still recommend looking at the pof in POFCS2.

Actually that was the missing model. But Novachen can handle such things easily anyway. :cool:

I just use txt editor for tbl editing, because less is sometimes more. :D

BTW could somebody with a high end computer upload a play through of mission 1 on YT? I think my 32 bit system can't handle this thing, I keep getting crashes although my GPU is from last year... and I'm sad that I have to stick with viewing only the mission files, not the disaster...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:06:24 am by Nightmare »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
How does this compare to Star Citizen?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

It didn't costed 200 mio $, only the working time of countless unpaid (=uncredited) workers?

Offline HLD_Prophecy

@Nightmare: Missing submodel itself, not subsystem entry/data? Seems I misunderstood... oh well.

txt editor: true enough but clearly I'm a lazy bum!  :lol:  I do appreciate Notepad++ though, it highlights text with color, helps my ADHD. Plus many other quality of life features.  :yes:

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I'll take a look at the problems that Nightmare and HLD_Prophecy I have free time.

Since I am a project head, why can't you let me put an annoucement of this mod in the highlights section of this forum?

EDIT: The files at ModDB is live now.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:32:29 am by Bryan See »
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

The rule applies only to HLP hosted campaigns (I.e. those with badges, and of them only the leaders) and people with special permission (staff members). Also, I'd suggest you debug your entire campaign before somebody bothers to post it there. Several people confirmed countless crashes and errors that make the campaign completely unplayable, and for now it simply doesn't meet the basic standards for a highlight. Remember - those who managed to play your mod and write feedback here are mostly people with several years of FS modding experience.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

I mean I was a "project head" and I had to await Goober's invitation to have Lost get highlighted.  ;)

Yeah highlights very much need to be approved by someone with some weight, and rightfully so. To be honest it's a tad surprising that Lost even got highlighted, it's pretty small.

Basically highlights are highlights: are sensibly reserved for a few cases where the product is well-known/a high contribution to the HLP community/somehow approved by the staff. And even then it might not happen.

And weird cases like Lost that aren't really either of those first two criteria and only barely the last.  :lol: You've probably seen how highlights can stick around up there for months if not a year or more. There's a reason for that!  :yes:

I hope you don't end up trying to compare your own mod with this. :D Even though I never entirely understood what Lost was telling me I liked it, and it didn't send me to bug hell.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

I hope you don't end up trying to compare your own mod with this. :D Even though I never entirely understood what Lost was telling me I liked it, and it didn't send me to bug hell.

It would have though, trust me I was actually about to release it without beta testing back then!  :lol:  Someone kindly hinted I should look into asking for testing, led to a huge rewrite of the climax and bug fixes all around. The community has a deposit of real common sense and patience if you slow down a bit and listen.  :nod:

speaking of which please forgive the plug, but if you liked Lost I am working on getting it fixed up for the modern day, plus the real treat: Millbear did some cool not cheezy dramatic voice acting! okay I confess I deliberately ordered cheezy drama Anyway when I get it back up I'd like people to check it out for his sake namely since he did do a great job.   :yes:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:52:35 am by HLD_Prophecy »

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Beg pardon, suddenly this is becoming my general chat forum. Will stay on topic.  :yes:

One more thing.

TBH I didn't gave a **** about bugfixing because I managed to run into errors at virtually every campaign I played. I didn't understand either what these people called beta testers are useful for - can't the devs test their own stuff or what? Then I applied for INF testing and wanted to do my job well so I created many many pages of things I came across. Now I'm seeing bugs EVERYWHERE. :eek:

It's the Beta Tester Syndrome.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
I think a patch/update is suffice to resolve the errors...

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Surely this one would have to be the biggest patch in HLP history. You'd have to rerelease the entire thing just to get rid of the Unicode/high res interface things, unless you want to tell the users which files they have to delete.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Surely this one would have to be the biggest patch in HLP history. You'd have to rerelease the entire thing just to get rid of the Unicode/high res interface things, unless you want to tell the users which files they have to delete.
That would be impossible. Shattered Stars, like many mods in my pipeline, is developed in conjunction with the latest changes in the FSO master code base. Taking out the Options menu in the rocket-ui.cfg file in the configs folder is the solution. I am fine with the login/barracks screen.

rocket-ui.cfg
Code: [Select]
#State Replacement

$State: GS_STATE_INITIAL_PLAYER_SELECT
    +Markup: data/interface/markup/pilot_select.rml

$State: GS_STATE_BARRACKS_MENU
    +Markup: data/interface/markup/barracks.rml

#End

As I've said before, it was released so that FSO coders can identify bugs associated with the Unicode/high res interface things, and fix them. I think it's up to m!m, not me, since these Unicode/high res interface things are not under my control.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
It didn't costed 200 mio $, only the working time of countless unpaid (=uncredited) workers?

Well, i think instead of $ it is costing at least 200 mio nerves :nod:

I am not sure if any patch can fix this mess, because the missions and story have to be recreated from scratch, so that they actually tease something and make fun.

Even it is sad, that everything of this mod is simple derailed... from the development discussion to the release thread to the actual released mod. There is only chaos... and even she is a supposedly protagonist in this story, there is no Hester Shaw to be seen, that is able to bring order into this.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:41:09 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter

Well, i think instead of $ it is costing at least 200 mio nerves :nod:

I am not sure if any patch can fix this mess, because the missions and story have to be recreated from scratch, so that they actually tease something and make fun.

Even it is sad, that everything of this mod is simple derailed... from the development discussion to the release thread to the actual released mod. There is only chaos... and even she is a supposedly protagonist in this story, there is no Hester Shaw to be seen, that is able to bring order into this.
Think of this as like the FreeSpace 2 Demo and the FreeSpace Alpha demo before it.

As for your mention of Hester Shaw, I can only think of her as being perished long before any events portrayed in this demo happened.

I think it's better to follow Nyctaeus' suggestion that I should write a design doc before committing. I also need help, since "The Shattered Stars Team" needs volunteers. I am a project head.

Anyone got the fixes, I would like to organize them into the patch. I'm leaving out the Unicode Mode/High Res Interfaces (aside from the disabled Options Menu) alone.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 08:32:21 am by Bryan See »

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
No, you really should get rid of Unicode entirely. It's one of the biggest bugs of the mod.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
No, you really should get rid of Unicode entirely. It's one of the biggest bugs of the mod.
Maybe you should take a look into the issue and that on GitHub.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I really didn't thought that far ahead...