Author Topic: Audio Problem  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Lorric

Hello. Can you help me please?

Whether I've done this right remains to be seen, I've never updated before, I came in at 3.6.12. I've just downloaded the 3.6.14. I put the 8 files in the Freespace 2 folder, and removed the 6 files with 3.6.12. (They're in a folder in case I need them back.) I don't know if there were equivalent files for the two extra 3.6.14 files but I certainly didn't see any.

I switched the mod to 3.6.14.

The problem starts as soon as you start a mission. The effects and voices just obliterate the music. And if you go into the options, you can only change the volume of the music, which is very quiet compared to the others. You try adjusting the others, it has no effect at all, the effects and voices are locked at a much higher volume than the music. Do you know the cause of this? Or have I just screwed up?

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
I already had this with 3.6.12 in the beginning. It seems to be a cache problem and potentially related to the use simulated speech function - audio started working fine after I messed around with audio and played for a while. I also set the audio settings for speech, effects, and music to the same level.

Sometimes I got choppy audio or times where Microsoft Sam would speak everyone's lines rather then FSOpen playing the relevant audio files. I turned off simulated speech and both of the problems (choppy audio/Microsoft Sam speaking over dialogue) stopped happening altogether. Your problems sounds similar to mine, although give that you've updated to 3.6.14 I don't know if it has the same cause.

Offline Lorric

I already had this with 3.6.12 in the beginning. It seems to be a cache problem and potentially related to the use simulated speech function - audio started working fine after I messed around with audio and played for a while. I also set the audio settings for speech, effects, and music to the same level.

Sometimes I got choppy audio or times where Microsoft Sam would speak everyone's lines rather then FSOpen playing the relevant audio files. I turned off simulated speech and both of the problems (choppy audio/Microsoft Sam speaking over dialogue) stopped happening altogether. Your problems sounds similar to mine, although give that you've updated to 3.6.14 I don't know if it has the same cause.

I've never used simulated speech, so it can't be that. I checked just in case it had somehow been activated, but it hasn't. Thanks anyway.