Author Topic: R1 By this summer?  (Read 25991 times)

Offline newman

Is there a 3d version? Because I'm looking into buying some 3d glasses to keep up with the Joneses.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
lulwut don't think you can ban my other 5 nicks that I actually use.

Anyway, spambots are too easy. Some butthurt user manually spamming the place up,that's gona hurt on your productivity. But nah I aint butthurt just sayin at the rate kara is going its just a matter of time.

Wait kara you're really enjoyin the 'authority' arnt ya? :P not gona ruin yer fun go on and bash my words on a screen again.

Anyway I actually have work to do now so see ya laters~~!
Also maybe the reason it's never getting done is cos you folks get sidetracked on the forums too easily?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:26:59 am by IronForge »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Says the guy known for his pride in being mediocre.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
<Redacted> cos I'm not going to resort to flaming.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
If you want to insult the mods you have to be subtle about it, you can't just be like, HAU GUYZ U SUK COX LOLOL>OLOL. Coincidently, hey newman, you sucks cocks lololololol.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline newman

LOLOL>OLOL. Coincidently, hey newman, you sucks cocks lololololol.

You should probably get banned just because you thought you found a way to tell me that without getting banned :P
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 05:03:44 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Don't ban me, I'm too pretty to die!
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
If you want to insult the mods you have to be subtle about it, you can't just be like, HAU GUYZ U SUK COX LOLOL>OLOL. Coincidently, hey newman, you sucks cocks lololololol.

Actually I was insulting IronForge but I'm not gonna post immature insults, even if I really want to.

You know what guys? <whitespace> I have faith it wont take 3 years. <whitespace> It might be done this year or mabey next year. <whitespace> Its probably what the Mayans predicted would happen in 2012.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:56:45 am by Jeff Vader »

Offline newman

If Mayans were so frakkin' smart, how come they're so frakkin' dead?

If Mayans were so frakkin' smart, how come they're so frakkin' dead?

Cylons?

Offline joncfc

Well then, I'm sure you can wait 10 years for this.

dunno why your complaining, its not like you have been lead along is it?

..we promise that a release is coming soon..

:D

Offline newman

Yes, all the work so far has been just to lead people along. That was the entire purpose. Team Diaspora would also like to apologize to all fans with a pronounced sense of entitlement for not quitting our jobs and other rl responsibilities in order to deliver a product we clearly owe you.
But all the hard work is so totally worth it when another someone with a pronounced sense of entitlement comes in and makes quick sarcastic quips about us not being as fast as they'd like. Because we've always hidden the fact that we don't really know when the eta will be, and we really deserve nothing but public scorn for not providing them with what they want the instant they want it. In fact, there never really was a game. It was all a ruse designed to lead people along, and it would have worked - but we didn't count on the astute mind of Detective Entitled here.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Yes, all the work so far has been just to lead people along. That was the entire purpose. Team Diaspora would also like to apologize to all fans with a pronounced sense of entitlement for not quitting our jobs and other rl responsibilities in order to deliver a product we clearly owe you.
But all the hard work is so totally worth it when another someone with a pronounced sense of entitlement comes in and makes quick sarcastic quips about us not being as fast as they'd like. Because we've always hidden the fact that we don't really know when the eta will be, and we really deserve nothing but public scorn for not providing them with what they want the instant they want it. In fact, there never really was a game. It was all a ruse designed to lead people along, and it would have worked - but we didn't count on the astute mind of Detective Entitled here.

So say we all.

Offline joncfc

I'm not going to argue as to be honest I've lost a bit of interest since the btrl days.  Of course my leading on comment wasn't an accusation of all this being a joke, I am simply taking issue with some of the language used on here after the breakup with btrl.  Given the fact that at the time btrl had been around for years and a demo which looked (to me at least) like a finished mod short of a few missions had been released, I don't think it was unreasonable to assume that when Kara said soon, he expected people would be thinking in the time frame of months not years.   I would guess many on here feel that both Kara and you knew it was nowhere near ready but was happy to fib to keep peoples interest up.

Fair play to you, best to have an active message board rather than an empty one but don't get all defensive and snotty when you face the occasional moan from here.

toodle-pip

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator

I'm not going to argue as to be honest I've lost a bit of interest since the btrl days.  Of course my leading on comment wasn't an accusation of all this being a joke, I am simply taking issue with some of the language used on here after the breakup with btrl.  Given the fact that at the time btrl had been around for years and a demo which looked (to me at least) like a finished mod short of a few missions had been released, I don't think it was unreasonable to assume that when Kara said soon, he expected people would be thinking in the time frame of months not years.   I would guess many on here feel that both Kara and you knew it was nowhere near ready but was happy to fib to keep peoples interest up.

Fair play to you, best to have an active message board rather than an empty one but don't get all defensive and snotty when you face the occasional moan from here.

toodle-pip

Your moaning at volunteers. VOLUNTEERS! If you were working on something that was entirely optional would you really appreciate people *****ing at you as if you somehow owe them something? I'd love nothing more than for a release today and to play away to my heart's content but at least I got some patience, not like you lot that act like wee five year olds bawling and smacking your heads on the floor for your favourite f*cking cereal.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Yes, all the work so far has been just to lead people along.

Let's be honest, though. It really is. That's why you release anything before the final product; it's why we get screenshots and movies and shots of WIP models and anything else. You're leading us on. Harmlessly, perhaps even beneficially since our continued enthusiasm is hopefully infectious, but it really is what's happening.

You could have just gone silent after the split from BtRL and disappear from the public eye and then a year or two from now suddenly Diaspora. But you didn't. You wanted, or at least were accepting of, the attention of the public. So at least own to what you're doing, even if it's not in the context you're being accused of.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
God this thread is full of the inept

:lol:
Never a dull moment  ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Let's be honest, though. It really is. That's why you release anything before the final product; it's why we get screenshots and movies and shots of WIP models and anything else. You're leading us on. Harmlessly, perhaps even beneficially since our continued enthusiasm is hopefully infectious, but it really is what's happening.

You could have just gone silent after the split from BtRL and disappear from the public eye and then a year or two from now suddenly Diaspora. But you didn't. You wanted, or at least were accepting of, the attention of the public. So at least own to what you're doing, even if it's not in the context you're being accused of.

How do you think we'd recruit new talent if we did that? You've probably forgotten but for the first few months Diaspora was completely silent. Very few people outside the team knew we even existed. We'd have been quite happy to be silent if we had the entire team to make the game in a reasonable time. We didn't. Our entire sound department with the exception of two (currently inactive) composers consists of people who heard of the project thanks to those videos and screenshots.

Several people who had left BtRL and were impossible to track down only got back in contact with us because we weren't silent. Hell, Starslayer had vanished a while before the break up. Without his reappearance we wouldn't have the Theseus or MK VIIe in R1.

The decision to go public was always driven by the fact that we desperately needed new blood. Hell, we still do. We have enough people to get the game out but one of the main reasons things have taken so long is because the art department is seriously understrength and our initial internal ETA wild-arse guesses assumed we'd be able to recruit at least a few modellers.

I won't deny that the main objective of the WIP stuff is to drum up interest in the game but you're completely wrong if you think that's just so we can lead people on. The main reason is so we can say "Here's the great game we're working on. Come help us if you can!" The side effect is that we do get other people interested in the game and we're not unhappy about it. But it was never the main goal.

Given the fact that at the time btrl had been around for years and a demo which looked (to me at least) like a finished mod short of a few missions had been released, I don't think it was unreasonable to assume that when Kara said soon, he expected people would be thinking in the time frame of months not years.

Given the fact that at the time btrl had been around for years so did we. :p

The simple fact is that the Diaspora team completely underestimated the scale of the task that we had ahead of us. That much should be obvious from the one and only time we gave a release estimate. We've learned our lesson since then and we don't give estimates when we don't have any sensible way of working out how long something will take.

Although the BtRL demo was released we can't use everything from the demo. We aren't the same team. We had to rebuild quite a lot of stuff. The entire BtRL interface is completely unusable for instance. We have to rebuild it. Some models were over 3 years old at the time of the split and would look hideously ugly in the game with all the newer stuff. Despite that I still think we're working more quickly than we did on BtRL after the demo came out.

You will start hearing estimates eventually. Once we enter the beta period we'll certainly be able to narrow it down to the exact quarter we'll be releasing (and probably further than that). At the very least if we delay then we can say exactly what the issue holding us up is. Right now we can't because there are too many of them and it just sounds like boring whining if I say what the problems are. :D

I would guess many on here feel that both Kara and you knew it was nowhere near ready but was happy to fib to keep peoples interest up.

Nope. Didn't lie at all. As I explained before we really did think we could get it out soon. It's very easy to underestimate how much work remains on a project like this. Especially as Diaspora is much bigger than the BtRL demo and requires a lot more stuff in it's final form before release.

Don't moan. Just ask politely for information. We're trying to make sure that we're always approachable and easy to talk to. When people ask us questions that aren't in the FAQ we're more than happy to answer them (or at least say why we can't).

What pisses us off is when people tell us we should give up more of our free time or spend less time with our loved ones because they want to play a computer game. People who want to get the game more quickly could do some promotional work. Mention it on other sites you visit when you see "What Games Are You Looking Forward To" threads. Cause getting us the extra developers we need will speed up development.
 But if you are the sort of person not willing to lift a finger to help, what exactly gives you the right to moan?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]