Author Topic: Attack Paths & Useages  (Read 908 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Attack Paths & Useages
Howdy All:

This may turn into a feature request, but it'll start out like a request for feedback.

1 ) What happens if I assign more than one attack path to the same subsystem or submodel?  Will the AI just chose which the closest is and go with that one?

2 ) When a fighter or bomber is given orders to attack a target with multiple subsystems and submodels, what will it chose to attack (engines, weapons subsystem, turrets)?

3 ) If I create a generic path with the lod0 model as the parent, and order a ship to attack said model, would it chose this path for its attack run over other subsystem and submodel paths present on the model?

...and finally, the feature request culumnation of the above.

4 )  Here's the sequence.

Add a series of paths onto a destroyer model (just for size comparisson) each called passXX (no, that's not a typo, and the XX would be 01, 02, etc), and each of these paths skim the hull to some degree, heading mostly lengthwise down the model with some vertical and lateral deviations.  Each path begins and terminates some distance out ahead or behind the model (not DIRECTLY in front or behind though).  The number of verts in this path may be between 4 and 8, and rather than having the distance figure get progressively lower as you go from vert-00 up, they vary somewhat in the middle points, then larger figures on both ends.

Then (coding required) add a new ai attack command.  Currently, if ordered to attack a subsystem or submodel, the AI will start at (or near, depending on the distance-from-vert figure) the OO point and proceed to the highest numbered point, when sit there firing at its target until its either destroyed, or the AI craft is distracted enough to abort its current actions (like getting shot at or something).  The new AI command, named someting like ai-attack-pass or someting, would start at point 00 of the nearest "passXX" path, continue down the path towards the highest numbered point, staying within the vert-range parameters, then when it reaches the furthest point, it clears that path from its list of current activities, then again looks for the nearest "pathXX" vert-00 and follows that path in the same way.

The result is that a craft using this method can make attack passes against an enemy ship, repeatedly.  The paths would be laid out so that the attacking fighter would get the oppertunity to target portions of the hull and some subsystems or turrets during its pass.

So, all you codemonkeys out there... is any of this feasable?  Of course, the more important question follows, is any of this worth the amount of time and effort it would take to impliment?

My vision, combine "pass" attacks with the poor man's gunship AI ("big target" and "big target no bomb" flags), and perhaps the variable beam duration, and we've got the makings of functional Whitestars... though I'm sure other mods would benefit from these additions.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
:bump:

No preassure, but could I at least get informed answers to questions 1 through 3, even if no one is willing to touch Q-4 with a 10-foot digital pole?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!