Author Topic: Post-processing  (Read 60417 times)

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
I've tried going with an older install now. These problems started occuring after i used the SCP 2.2 Re-release. I don't seem to have any problems now, so take my reported errors with a grain of salt.

I did find one new error, though. This happens in the Straight, No Chaser mission:

Do notice the corruption on the craft itself, too. Happens the second you start, disappears, happens again, then it's gone. Oh, what the hell, I'm on a roll here: Pilot chat also seems to be missing as command starts talking to themself - *silence* "Say again pilot, another portal?"... *silence*... "Can you locate the Azrael?".

Offline Hery

Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce this bug. Could you send me your debug log?
Have you updated also the *.sdr files?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:58:44 am by Hery »

Offline Topgun

I've tried going with an older install now. These problems started occuring after i used the SCP 2.2 Re-release. I don't seem to have any problems now, so take my reported errors with a grain of salt.

I did find one new error, though. This happens in the Straight, No Chaser mission:

Do notice the corruption on the craft itself, too. Happens the second you start, disappears, happens again, then it's gone. Oh, what the hell, I'm on a roll here: Pilot chat also seems to be missing as command starts talking to themself - *silence* "Say again pilot, another portal?"... *silence*... "Can you locate the Azrael?".
aahh, what?

Offline Solatar

This has been working quite well for me actually.  The only problem I'm having is that it doesn't seem to have the fix for 720p resolution that most of the recent builds do (it tries to use the low-res interface art). This is easily solved by changing though.

The shaders look quite nice, and other than a bit of motion sickness I haven't had any problems.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Zacam's builds are the only ones with it because it's not in trunk yet I believe.  He's been applying that fix locally.  If it's working it should probably make it into trunk though.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

It's all going into the next Antipodes - I did intend to do it tonight, but then those memset and vm_malloc issues cropped up.
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Here to report that the post processing builds are now working correctly on the latest radeon cards (I use an HD 4870).  Absolutely no problems to report, except for unclear instructions on how to use the post processing table.  Most values just give me an incomprehensible cube-arranged mess of speckles...

Some post processing filters to think about are gamma and hue controls, posterization, cell shading (outlines and such - this would be more difficult to implement), screen space warping, guassian blur, ghosting (basically a crude motion blur that you'd see when injured in, say, a Call of Duty game), and color inversion.  Some of these could be combined to, for example, have a first-person view of entering a warpout when you end your mission.

Something that would be extremely useful is the ability for conditional post processing - I'd like to see some full-screen distortion and contrast/saturation fudging when hit by an EMP bomb, for instance.  Being in the wake of a shockwave would also be grounds for possibly some light distortion and a gamma increase.  A subspace mission would need some overbright post processing, maybe some ramped up saturation and contrast, and an intense but tight bloom effect.  A nebula mission would need a less intense bloom, but the glow would be very large, giving a greater impression of a murky soup that disperses light.

Also, the mjolnir blockade mission is really fun with bloom activated...

Offline Hery

I will create a Wiki article with instructions on how to modify post_processing.tbl when my code is commited to the Antipodes branch.

Gamma, hue, color inversion and posterization are very easy, they can be implemented without any change to the FSO code. Actually, there is a posterization implemented in post-f.sdr but this part of the code is commented out. Cell shading also isn't a complicated effect but to implement it really easily there will be needed a little change to the engine code. Gaussian blur is already implemented and working (used in depth of field and bloom, the former is disabled in the code, though, since there is no good interface to control this effect).

I've already thought about how to control post-processing effects in more convenient way than using SEXP. Unfortunatelly, I think it is pointless to hack into code any workarounds until configuration manager is (at least partially) done.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Cel-shading was once implemented in a non-post-processing manner, wasn't it?  Is that code still in the engine, or did it get ripped out at some point because no one was really doing anything with it?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Cal-shading huh? I would be very interested in how that looks.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Cell Shading used to take place under DX Codebase if you ran with mv_cell.vp.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Ah, so it was D3D-dependent, then.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Is there any way to adjust the bloom? On atmospheric skybox missions it is so bright that it makes my eyes want to melt and run down my face.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Hery

-bloom_intensity X
0 is no bloom, 100 is maximum bloom

This problem will be solved, but I have to do some other things first.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
-bloom_intensity X
0 is no bloom, 100 is maximum bloom

You should probably force that 100 cap, then, because values above 100 work for me.  It's really insane at 500+...

Offline Solatar

Is there a similar way to control motion blur? Maybe just on and off? I love the bloom and other effects, but the motion blur is just making me sick (it's not your fault, it looks great, I'm just very prone to motion sickness for some reason).

Offline Hery

There is no motion blur, since October 11th.

Offline Solatar

I was just about to post that in the most recent builds, I didn't notice it. :p

I've been playing with the most recent build, and it's been working wonderfully.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I was wondering here if Hery or anyone else has managed to fix colors going funky when "stripes" post-processing effect is used? We don't have many effects at our disposal in .11/.12, so I was hoping those few would work without unwanted side-effects. :)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Another issue, it would be much appreciated if bloom wouldn't affect skyboxes. It makes some of them look really bad.