Author Topic: FUUUUUUUU--* (Or unfair pricing in video games)  (Read 4330 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: FUUUUUUUU--* (Or unfair pricing in video games)
What really pisses me off is when a monitor is sold at, say... 300 dollars, gets shipped to Europe and then they convert the price 1:1 to euros and then double it and some more for ****s and giggles.

To be fair, wages aren't currency-adjusted either.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline newman

I would like to remind TopGun that the only reason this is still true is because developers are being retarded and not investing enough money in proper procedural generation of content, since almost half of that cost is mundane content creation.

No matter how much money you throw in that direction development will still take time and cost a bunch. First of all you can't cover everything by procedural generation of content. It depends greatly on the type of content you need, too, but at the end of the day you'll still need to have people model, texture, and animate stuff. And bear in mind this is a fraction of the cost that comes into developing a game - where's all the coding, sfx, music, writing, cgi cutscene work (if needed), game and level design, etc etc etc.
Game development is far too complex to just dismiss it with "meh they could just procedurally generate everything so why don't they". This idea is hardly new and believe me, things that are cost effective do get implemented.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
What really pisses me off is when a monitor is sold at, say... 300 dollars, gets shipped to Europe and then they convert the price 1:1 to euros and then double it and some more for ****s and giggles.

To be fair, wages aren't currency-adjusted either.

What do you mean? 'mericans earn more (much more) than in many places in Europe.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
What do you mean? 'mericans earn more (much more) than in many places in Europe.

Notwithstanding the massive generalization you just made, 1:1 pricing in comparable but not identical currencies isn't all that unfair, as wages are treated similarly.
 A person doing my job in the EU or Britain tends to make the same number figure of money, but in their respective currency (rather than CAD, in my case).  Thus, while we retain the same income status so long as we remain in our own countries, Britons or Europeans suddenly find themselves a lot richer when they come to North America, while North Americans find themselves a lot poorer in Europe.  Pricing and wages are largely the same numerically relative to their economy between USD, CAD, EUR, and Pounds, regardless of currency exchange.  That's why it's not really fair for me to think of my wife's British relatives who make X pounds a year as making roughly 1.5-2X what I do at $X CAD (which when exchanged, it is), as their pricing is done accordingly.

EDIT:  I should mention though that I think pricing *SHOULD* be set based on cost of distribution to market.  As a Canadian, I get regularly gouged based on some mythical exchange rate between USD and CAD that hasn't existed in 10+ years.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 04:01:02 pm by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter

Notwithstanding the massive generalization you just made, 1:1 pricing in comparable but not identical currencies isn't all that unfair, as wages are treated similarly.
 A person doing my job in the EU or Britain tends to make the same number figure of money, but in their respective currency (rather than CAD, in my case).  Thus, while we retain the same income status so long as we remain in our own countries, Britons or Europeans suddenly find themselves a lot richer when they come to North America, while North Americans find themselves a lot poorer in Europe.  Pricing and wages are largely the same numerically between USD, CAD, EUR, and Pounds, regardless of currency exchange.  That's why it's not really fair for me to think of my wife's British relatives who make X pounds a year as making roughly 1.5-2X what I do at $X CAD (which when exchanged, it is), as their pricing is done accordingly.

Let me make it easier for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_average_wage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._minimum_wages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_minimum_wage

Now, try telling me what you wrote with a straight face.

In the US prices are lower AND people seem to earn more on average compared to Europe.

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Let me make it easier for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_average_wage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._minimum_wages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_minimum_wage

Now, try telling me what you wrote with a straight face.

In the US prices are lower AND people seem to earn more on average compared to Europe.

Wage data is meaningless without cost of living, inflation rate, and interest rates - standard of living data is helpful too.  You're only looking at part of the picture.

Also, "average" data is useless for a country like the United States due to wage stratification.  Median wage is more meaningful.  Similarly, minimum wages are a pointless exercise in financial comparison.  Anytime you compare financial statistics or pricing between nations, there are a dozen factors that need to be taken into effect in order to make a meaningful comparison.

Finally, Wikipedia is not a great source.  Your first article is "original research" and not only omits several reference countries, but is again using average data for each nation selected despite wildly different social stratification and differing social environments (e.g. Americans do earn more, but pay through the nose for social/health services as compared to economically-productive European states).  You also missed my point - as wages aren't currency-adjusted between the currencies I've mentioned, you can't exactly convert them all to dollars using exchange rate for comparison, now can you? =)

Let me boil it down for you, since my first statement up there was a bit of an oversimplification:  $1 to a middle-class American is worth roughly the same as $1 to a Canadian as 1 Euro is to a German as 1 pound is to a Briton, each living and working in their respective country, assuming equal levels of socioeconomic status relative to their respective country.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 04:27:07 pm by MP-Ryan »

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
All right, it seems you may have a point. But that still doesn't explain why a monitor that costs 600 dollars is suddenly priced at 800 euros (over 1200 dollars).

Not to mention once when browsing for a monitor, and finding a nice one for 300 dollars, seeing it priced at over 700 euros.

Regarding the discussion, Europe is not just the UK and Germany, most countries in southern Europe have much lower wages when compared with northern Europe. And since you can buy goods across europe with minimal fees, most high tech products are priced with northern Europe wages in mind. Hence for these kind of products, €1 in Germany is not equal to €1 in say... Greece or Spain.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 04:39:02 pm by Ghostavo »

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
All right, it seems you may have a point. But that still doesn't explain why a monitor that costs 600 dollars is suddenly priced at over 800 euros (over 1200 dollars).

Not to mention once when browsing for a monitor, and finding a nice one for 300 dollars, seeing it priced at over 700 euros.

Hey, you've got me there - but I could just point out that the CAD is also worth more than the USD AND we're right next door, and I still pay markup of anywhere from 0-25% on some goods as compared to the USA.  Corporations are gouging bastards.  I had to fight with the last dealer I bought a car from and finally threaten that I would just import one from the 'States myself before they'd drop their price.

Regarding the discussion, Europe is not just the UK and Germany, most countries in southern Europe have much lower wages when compared with northern Europe. And since you can buy goods across europe with minimal fees, most high tech products are priced with northern Europe wages in mind. Hence for these kind of products, €1 in Germany is not equal to €1 in say... Greece or Spain.

I do realize that, but that's more a problem with the way the countries in the EU adopted the Euro and integrated economically than pricing.  When you throw economic backwaters like Spain and Greece against powerhouses like Germany in the same financial entity, someone is going to get hurt... though arguably it's the Germans right now amidst all the financial voodoo in Greece, Spain, Portugal, and Ireland.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 04:41:19 pm by MP-Ryan »

Offline Davros

But that still doesn't explain why a monitor that costs 600 dollars is suddenly priced at 800 euros (over 1200 dollars)

or photoshop is $699 to americans but $1076 to brits when its the same version, no shipping costs (its downloadable) no import duty, no additional taxes

To be honest, I've never seen a display without at least a DVI connector in a really long time.

The u.k's largest pc retailer (9 of the 12 lcd's on the first page are vga only)
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/pc-monitors/708_7030_70030_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

Offline Tomo

PC World is nowhere near the "UK's largest" anything, on account of them being very-nearly bankrupt.
- The one near me has almost no stock on the shelves and appears to have only two staff left.

The Dixons group (Dixons, PC World, Currys) are in serious financial trouble at the moment - many of their shareholders are even starting to ask them to close down entirely in the UK.
It's not quite as financially-troubled as HMV, but not far off and unlike HMV has zero industry and customer backing that might bring it back to life.

(The reasons are many, but probably the biggest two are their poor in-store customer service and apparent reliance on selling extended warranties.)

PC World is nowhere near the "UK's largest" anything, on account of them being very-nearly bankrupt.

That says nothing. ING, the largest dutch Bank, also faced bankrupty at some biont.