Author Topic: Official FRED Contest Announcement  (Read 73678 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Official FRED Contest Announcement
Originally posted by Akalabeth Angel
...And hey, if you guys don't get your missions finished, I guess that means I win by default! ;)

I sense a great deal of overconfidence in your post. Overconfidence is the path of the Dark Side. Turn away from this path, or you will forever be succumbed.

:D
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Axem
I have until tomorrow afternoon to finish mine up. Then I'm gone on vacation for a week. Thankfully it is almost complete. Just a few more finishing touches left...
Is that the one with the string bug?  It's been fixed and is in CVS.

Offline Axem

No, I started on another mission for the contest incase the bug didn't get fixed in time. When it got fixed, the backup one was further along, so I'll keep with it.

But I hope to complete the other mission one day. :)

Offline Nuclear1

Hmm... it appears that I have quite a few missions (not including FS1 Port or Homesick extracted missions, which he knows would be plagiristic to submit) in my data folder. Can't decide which ones though...

*decides to send whole folder* :drevil:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 05:19:07 pm by 673 »
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Can I submit mine a bit late? Lack of a graphics card means I can't run FRED2 Open at all. Although I am making a mission in FRED2, it's only the bare skeletons of what I wish to do with it, not to mention the sexp limit is somewhat......restrictive.

I'm not asking for much of an extension....to maybe around Aug. 10 perhaps?
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well I'm aiming to have all my judging done during the first week of August, as I'll be on vacation the rest of the month.

Unless the contest is extended through August (talk to karajorma and Blaise Russel about it) the original deadline stands.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
If the number of submissions don't increase by August 1, you have no choice but to extend the deadline. In my opinion.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

We don't really know what the number of submissions is however, or what the judges were hoping for.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by TopAce
If the number of submissions don't increase by August 1, you have no choice but to extend the deadline. In my opinion.

They don't have to extend it. It being their contest, they can do whatever they like to it, whether or not people compete isn't their problem. In the case of a reasonable exception, the rules might be bent. In the case of laziness, they most likely won't.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
How many mission can one send?

Coause I have two really great missions and I'm having trouble to decide which to send..

Allso, if I may suggest to the judges not to be too strict as far as spelling mistakes go. Many of the FREDers are not native enlgish speakers and will thus have to spend more time going trough and correcting all the briefings, debriefings and in-mission talk, and that can ammount to a lot of stuff to correct.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Nuclear1

You can send as many as you wish, IIRC, so long as it's within reason. Hence:
Hmm... it appears that I have quite a few missions (not including FS1 Port or Homesick extracted missions, which he knows would be plagiristic to submit) in my data folder. Can't decide which ones though...

*decides to send whole folder*

Not that I would actually do this, or anything. :nervous:

In addition: If you want me to go through the missions really quick and correct grammar and/or spelling, you can send 'em on over to me. I probably won't enter anything anyway, so your secret is safe with me. ;)
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

The rules state you can send in a whole campaign if you wanted to. As for spelling mistakes, that's what a spell checker is for. I'm not sure if ESL members will get some leniency in grammar and spelling, they can always ask fellow members of the community to help them out as well.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
There really isn't much time left. 5 days.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
We're not extending the deadline just to give you extra time TopAce. Stop hinting ;)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I don't need any extra time. Have I said that?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
No but but we're going to be on the look out for any missions submitted after the 1st from someone in Hungary :D

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Right..then I'll send two missions over (3 actually as one is red-alert that continues after a short (2 minutes at most) chatter-only mission.

As soon as I check them out a bit more...

B.t.w. - anyone getting the stupid fighterbay bug in FRED? You know, when you order a wing to depart trough a fighterbay and every time you load thet mission you have to assign a fighterbay AGAIN.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That was supposedly fixed in the latest version IIRC.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
No, it wasn't. This bug has been there since the offical :v: release.
I bet even FS1 FRED has that error.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I know but it was supposedly fixed recently. I remember reading about it.