Author Topic: To tide over the seething masses  (Read 18462 times)

Offline Boomer

To tide over the seething masses
Recall "Little Boy", which required 2 pieces of enriched Uranium to be slammed together at high speed to detonate.

[history lesson] Actually, I'm pretty sure Little Boy was a Gun type Fission bomb that started the Chain reaction by using a radioactive cesium or strontium isotope to produce the necessary neutrons to start the runaway Fission reaction of the nearly critical nuclear core.  

Fat Man was of the implosion type where a shaped explosive charge blows 2 non-critical masses of nuclear material into a critical mass which then goes boom.[/history lesson]

As for the missile, not an anti-capship bomb, but, maybe a tactical weapon.  And that weapon has to be Vasudan.

They wuv fishies.

(and Headz,:headz: )
Viva la UBERBOMB!

"I have no gods, only questions." -Me

A man once came to me and asked me to express a profound thought.  I told him.....<Static>...

Look on the bright side, it looks absolutely nothing like a penis.-Turambar

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

[history lesson] Actually, I'm pretty sure Little Boy was a Gun type Fission bomb that started the Chain reaction by using a radioactive cesium or strontium isotope to produce the necessary neutrons to start the runaway Fission reaction of the nearly critical nuclear core.

Fat Man was of the implosion type where a shaped explosive charge blows 2 non-critical masses of nuclear material into a critical mass which then goes boom.[/history lesson]

You've lost speaking privileges.  Why?

0)  You're trying to talk Physics, for starters, not history.  The history is that bombs were made, and they made some scary-big explosions.  The Physics, you just got entirely wrong.

1)  In the fission reaction in both of the atomic bombs, Uranium 235 breaks down into radioactive isotopes of Strontium and Cesium.  They don't do much of anything when you collide them together, besides creating a larger blob of gamma-emitting crap.

2)  A gun-type bomb operates by ramming two non-critical masses of fissionable material together.  One mass is a blob in the middle of the bomb, and one mass is a smaller bullet with an explosive charge to propel it.  Ram the two pieces together, and you get your chain reaction.

3)  An implosion-type bomb is much trickier.  Again, you have a non-critical mass at the center of the bomb, and a buffer around it.  Outside the buffer is a layer of the same fissionable material surrounded by a layer of explosive.  When the explosive goes off, the outer layer slams into the inner core, causing a similar reaction as the gun-type bomb, except that it is faster and more completely uses up the fissionable component of the bomb.

I've lived Oak Ridge for eleven years, been to Y-12 on the odd occasion, and I'm going on to the third year of my Physics bachelors.  This stuff is so engrained in my being, that typing the above corrections was a reflex.

*Ahem*  More to the point of the thread, how's about we stop (some of) the speculation and see some screenshots, Ace?

Offline Anaz

That's kind of a cool idea with the gravity bomb. A missile with a large blast radius and a rather large negative "push" factor so that fighters close to each other would get drawn into a big "clump" and be easy targets for things like fish.
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

That reminds me of...

*Recalls Spaceballs*

"Radar...about to be...JAMMED"

*jar of raspberry jam hits radar dish and splatters*

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by High Max
I noticed that the BWO team has locked up quite a few topics on the BWO forum. :D

Lies!  There is no BWO forum!

Propoganda.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
VX Gas?

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
There is no BWO forum. There are no American tanks in Iraq.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Genoism

• WIP FS3
this is clearly a catfish eater
After much debate I decided quotes are a waste of time.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Originally posted by High Max
I noticed that the BWO team has locked up quite a few topics on the BWO forum. :D

The natives are definately getting restless.

I guess it is because it has been going for such a long time and people know that Chapter 1 has been complete, yet not released.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
We have a Chapter 1?

News to me.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there's three parts, the first part (and second part afaik) are basicly done, we aren't going for a chapter release though, were getting it totaly done, then releaseing.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

so whats left of part 3, since part 1 & 2 is complete, or thats non of my business to know, til its release????

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
It will be done when it's done.

Some missions take a lot of time to test. Others are practically approved during the first pass.

After we're through with Ep 3 and the mods, we'll do a final runthrough with the assembled mods.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Yes.

It will take a while

[size=999]BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!![/size]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 03:39:44 pm by 461 »

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
*Holds tricorder over BWO homepage*

"Estimated days left to release: Somewhere between 1 and aleph-1"
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Well, i am hoping the FSOpen part doesn't cause any havoc with me, which it does alot. :/

I guess i will see when its all done.

:p  You gays are doing gread. :yes: I hope the BWO will launch soon. :wakka:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 02:38:55 am by 2725 »
Partolling outside Babylon 5 and looking for a beautiful space.

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Originally posted by tommy185

lol wtf
lol wtf

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Ace
It will be done when it's done.

Some missions take a lot of time to test. Others are practically approved during the first pass.

After we're through with Ep 3 and the mods, we'll do a final runthrough with the assembled mods.

And Ep3 was mostly built by me so it'll take a bit longer :D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by tommy185
:lol: