Author Topic: Ship and weapon entries for wiki  (Read 10778 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Ship and weapon entries for wiki
Now all the fs1 and fs2 ships should be included to the FSwiki.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I'm most likely talking alone to myself here but do you think the Subach entry is good templete for weapons. Or should there be something else included too? Or does it have too much data included?

Also about general hull strenght (descriptive values) and WMCs formula:
IMHO when calculating strenght of the vessel we should use hitpoints + 1/3 (or some number form 1/2 to 1/4) x shields for the comparisons. As the shields are spread out on four quadrants. It might give different results than the values in the table files are but the values might be a bit closer to the truth.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Subach entry looks good, but perhaps a multiplier would be better than a descriptor when describing the subsystem/shield/hull split... maybe.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I don't like multipliers personally.  Real weapons don't have "damage multipliers", they're just better at penetrating certain types of armor than others.  I don't see why this should be any different.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
If we are to use descriptive values I'll convert weapon damages so that they have multiplier 1 on one of the stats (Excellent) so don't wonder if there is differences in the damage value compared to the value listed in table files. And btw are the FSPort weapon entries same as the FS1? If not could some one drop those for me?

EDIT: Such a change is required unless multipliers are used. Atleast looking from FSPort files there seems to be quite a multipliers as high as 4...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 07:27:20 am by Wanderer »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Honestly, I would prefer to see that field divided up in to "Hull strength" and "Shield strength" because the formula is inaccurate. However since it seemed to have meant "Ability of ship to get shot and still not blow up", I just went with that for the formula since you can just override it in the table. :p
-C

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
OK, that might be the best.

I have been thinking about building this to a more finalized state. Any thought that is this kind of a page usefull? As i also came up with similar page that is outside wiki? Only pros in wiki version is that it can be readily linked into a sort of hypertext list and that it can be rather easily edited. If i'm to make such a page to wiki what fields are we going to need/use/desire... Same goes for the ships list. If it is put to wiki what info do we want to find from it?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Ranting continues:

Here goes FS1 weapon comparison table complete with links.. Not easiest table to read but it has a lot of useful info too. FS2 table is in the works...

And the point was that does this table has the info that is required? Is something missing?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Sweet :yes:
-C

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
WMC: Do you ever read your PMs?

And now the lists should be of more use to gamers and also to modders. Both FS 1 and FS 2 comparisons and databases should be complete