Author Topic: Basic guidelines? What to do and what not to do?  (Read 4141 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Basic guidelines? What to do and what not to do?
I noticed that we do not have a 'General rules' section or anything along these lines. The Star Wars wiki has such and based on it, I would propose some basics:

• Articles in past tense
  • Ship names in italic.
  • Article name first time mentioned in article in bold
    For example: The Neo-Terra Front was a rebellion against the Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance.
  • In case of long articles, the article should be started with a general introduction, then the table of contents and the article body
  • Mention no opinions, only facts. (nothing like: the Ulysses is my favourite fighter)
  • Avoid the use of 1st and 2nd singular or plural forms (I, you, we)
  • Avoid the definite article at the start of the article names (The 14-Year War 14-Year War)
  • Every initials in article names capitalized, except for articles(a, an, the), conjuctions (and, or), prepositions (at, on, about)
  • No contraction (Don't Do not)
  • No slang or informal words(stuff, give some-one the slip)
  • Ships are always 'she'

What we should also decide is which variant of English we should use. I would tally my vote on British English, since it is still the standard.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Re: Basic guidelines? What to do and what not to d
In principle, I agree that there should be some sort of guidelines for the Wiki, but I personally don't think they should be spelled out explicitly.  Most of the things listed there are common sense for writing a public document anyway, and IMHO having them spelled out is a bit redundant.  If you come across a page that violates any of those gramatical rules in a flagrant fashion, then change and make a comment on its discussion page.  However, this Wiki doesn't serve the same purpose as the Star Wars wiki, and so there are a lot of places where some of those rules do not apply (my Max exporter walkthrough would be very hard to write in the past tense).  Plus, because the amount of traffic (and uneducated fanboys) who are likely to edit the Wiki here are much more managable in number, post-editing is a minor burden to bear for people not being discouraged from adding content.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Basic guidelines? What to do and what not to do?
Agreed - making rules and then defining all the neccesary exceptions is probably equal to the amount of work just neatening things up, plus most people are going to follow their own rules no matter what is posted.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Technical pages of course could be in the present tense. Plot, ship, weapon articles must be in the past tense though.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
General writing practice when talking about a fictional plot is to place it in the present tense, although maybe use the story's past tense.

Story present, story past:
"After the destruction of the Colossus, the Bastion enters the Vega node and detonates, severing the jump node. The Bastion was one of the principal GTA ships in the first Great War."

Story present:
"After the destruction of the Colossus, the Bastion enters the Vega node and detonates, severing the jump node. The Bastion is one of the principal GTA ships in the first Great War."

All past:
"After the destruction of the Colossus, the Bastion entered the Vega node and detonated, severing the jump node. The Bastion was one of the principal GTA ships in the first Great War."

The first and second emphasize that FS is a fictional story (the second moreso IMHO). The last makes it sound more like a historical document. The first provides the most information, because we have a frame of reference of when the Great War is. (ie before 'now', when the Colossus died and the Bastion blew up) You could throw in a 'had been', but most people these days are lazy and just use 'was'. (Like me! :D)

Edit: Just for fun...
The Terrans and Vasudans had been at war for 14 years.
The Galatea was destroyed.
The Hades is a cheap rip-off of the Lucifer
If Capella goes supernova, at least some of the populace will have evacuated.
Capella will go supernova.

Edit 2:
populae terrae et populae vasudae fuerint in bellum quarti decimi anni.
Galatea delevit.
Hades erat vilis exemplar Luciferi.
si Capella displodit, nonnullus populi deduxerit.
Capella displodiet.

Of course you could add another.

Hercules amabatur Terra cum pugnarent contra Shivas.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 03:01:02 pm by WMCoolmon »
-C

Using Latin do denote the tenses != fun.

First one is perfectum, I geuss
Second one too
Third imperfectum
Coniucntive preasens, and then perfectum?
And I haven't got a clue about the last ones.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
The tenses don't seem to match up particularly well between the English and the Latin in some of them. In the first one it probably should be fuerant instead of fuerint for pluperfect (currently future perfect). In the third it should be est rather than erat for present (currently imperfect). In the fifth, it should be displodet rather than displodiet.

Ok......

I'm a non-native speaker. I can figure out most English tenses stuff by geusstimating. I can do a bit of Latin, but I'll probably fail my A-level (like) exam.

Why are we speaking Latin instead of English?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Si potes legere hoc, scis Latinam. :)

Als je dit kan lezen, ken je Latijn.
If you can read this, you know Latin?

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Damn it, I'm lucky I know how to speak English, don't start floating off into languages that are dead!

Too many rules makes it no fun to do.  This is, in the end, supposed to be at least reasonably fun.  Let's just let it slide, with one exception:  Opinions should be seperate from facts.

Now, if you want to rewrite everything to fit these rules, be my guest.  Don't want to spoil your fun.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Fragrag

Using Latin do denote the tenses != fun.

First one is perfectum, I geuss
Second one too
Third imperfectum
Coniucntive preasens, and then perfectum?
And I haven't got a clue about the last ones.

Well, I haven't learned the coniunctives yet, though here is what I've learned so far... And have to know for friday :(

Indicatief Praesens -- Present Tense
Indicatief Imperfectum -- Past tense
Indicatief Futurum Simplex -- Future Tense? (Not sure what it is in English)

Indicatief Perfectum -- Not sure what it is in English, but translated it should be "It has destroyed"
Indicatief Plusquam Perfectum -- Same as above, only translated "It had destroyed"
Indicatief Futurum Exactum -- Again, same as above, only translated "It shall have destroyed"

"On this day...my pants are filled....with joy" -Singh, doing the pants game
My blog, with 'gorillarape' in the url, who wouldn't visit it?!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Present
Past
Future

Perfect
Pluperfect
Future Perfect

At least that's how I learned 'em.
-C

Offline Fragrag

Present
Past
Future

Perfect
Pluperfect
Future Perfect

At least that's how I learned 'em.

Is that for Latin or English? (Yes, I know, sounds a bit stupid) (Yay for thread highjacking!)
"On this day...my pants are filled....with joy" -Singh, doing the pants game
My blog, with 'gorillarape' in the url, who wouldn't visit it?!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Si potes legere hoc, scis Latinam. :)

Geek.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist