Author Topic: Major updates to the Max exporter page.  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Major updates to the Max exporter page.
Check it out:
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Styxx%27s_POF_Conversion_plugin_for_3D_Studio_Max

I was referring to this and noticed that, while informative, it wasn't structured very well and was lacking information about multipart turrets and LOD subobjects. This should be much more comprehensive and legible.

Oh, and we need more pages dealing with editing tools! We need a page each about Modelview, VPView, PCS, Aurora, FRED, and everything else we use. These should at the very least have persistant links to the tools.

The FRED page could easily link to an online version of the Volition HTML FRED help file; we could even add notes about SCP features in there.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 04:37:39 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Re: Major updates to the Max exporter page.
Does anyone actually use Aurora?  It's been nothing but crashes with all the models I've tried it with recently.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The FRED page could easily link to an online version of the Volition HTML FRED help file; we could even add notes about SCP features in there.

Sounds like a good idea to link to the help file but I'm not so certain that updating it would be a good idea. Most of the stuff would have little relation to the walkthrough and would thus serve to confuse new FREDders.

That said I do agree that FRED does need better explainations of its new features (as well as a list of them. I sometimes forget what has been added and it would be nice to have them all listed somewhere when I'm trying to do the impossible in FRED yet again :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
:v:'s version does have a list of all the SEXPs and describes the functionality of every checkbox and option in the editors. Why not update these aspects?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
What happened to the modview and PCS pages from the old wiki? Can they be brought back? They took a fair while to write, and I'd quite like to add some stuff to the PCS one. :\
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
:v:'s version does have a list of all the SEXPs and describes the functionality of every checkbox and option in the editors. Why not update these aspects?

You can get a full list of SEXPs with the -output_sexps command line. I just put it into a format that looked nice, but it can be changed easily enough unless you have something exotic in mind.
-C

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
What happened to the modview and PCS pages from the old wiki? Can they be brought back? They took a fair while to write, and I'd quite like to add some stuff to the PCS one. :\

As soon as we get access to the old wiki, something I've been asking the admins for for for awhile now, they'll be reformatted for mediawiki and added as fast as I can get them up. But the ball's in the court of whoever has the old wiki backup - they get it to us, we'll get it onto the new wiki.

It'd be done already, but since those of us who were supposed to be working on transferring this stuff were password locked out of HLP 3.0 about halfway through the process, we kind of lacked the ability to get much done.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Updating all the new SEXPs in a seperate section at the bottom of sexp.html won't hurt a bit and should show newbie FREDders why we all love FRED2_Open so much. :)

I'm a little more worried about updating editors.html because

a) Much of that stuff is way beyond the abilities of someone taking their first steps in FRED
b) I can envision a situation where someone spends ages looking through their local copy of the FRED docs looking for the entries they swear that they've seen before :D

Of course if we're talking about porting the FRED docs to the wiki then b) vanishes cause the look and feel of the docs will be rather different :) I was assuming we'd simply be sending them over to Hippo cause he's already got them all online.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]