Poll

What's your opinion on the design adjustment?

Like the bar, like the new BG color
21 (61.8%)
Like the bar, dislike the new BG color
9 (26.5%)
Dislike the bar, like the new BG color
1 (2.9%)
Dislike both the bar and the new BG color
2 (5.9%)
Eh? I probably need to refresh...
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Slight Design Adjustment  (Read 17261 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Slight Design Adjustment
What do you guys think? I added a nav bar up top, and changed the BG color of the forums from solid black to #222222. Yay? Yuk?

I'm thinking of adding the bar to all the HLP sections - front page, wiki, etc. Make it look nice and unified.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: Slight Design Adjustment
I can barely see the BG change, could be my monitor setting, the bar looks fine though :)

Offline neoterran

easier to read.. :yes:
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I can barely see the BG change, could be my monitor setting, the bar looks fine though :)

Yeah, I've got an old CRT on one computer here like that too. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yup, boring old 22" CRT here :( It's always run a bit dark, ever since I got it.

Really need to upgrade to a flat screen at some point, especially considering how much of my desk this monster takes up :(

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Oh, and in the name of avoiding being called a lazy hypocrite, I also removed the SMF logo image. :p

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
What confuses me is why, whenever HLP adds a link to Sectorgame, Sectorgame stops responding, I swear it's a jinx :lol:

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
The bar I noticed... the sectorgame link is displayed over the Hardlight Network text... and the background change realy stands out... not sure if I like it yet... perhaps 111111 would have been more subtle...?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
You're running at 1024, aren't ya? :p And some people, namely those with CRT monitors, can barely see the BG change at all.

EDIT: Try now - I took out the "The" from "The Freespace FAQ" - that should have shortened it enough to prevent it from overflowing.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Looks nice. I think the logo is a bit... huge and the background clashes too much with the black of the posts. If the background was a darker shade or grey... Maybe.

Offline Shade

Point by point:

The link bar is nice. The forum nav bar still duplicates some of it, but that's just a minor detail to sort out.

Is the big HLP logo supposed to only have full colours on mouse-over? If so, I prefer it the old way, looks kinda boring without them, not to mention it's distracting if you move the mouse over it by accident.

Now, for the background... I don't like the grey. It just doesn't really go with the rest when used in this magnitude I think. If black is too dark (I rather liked it, though), perhaps some dark shade of red would be more fitting, just not grey.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Not bad, but I really don't like the new colour for the HLP logo and name. The previous colour designs were much nicer, IMO.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
You're running at 1024, aren't ya? :p And some people, namely those with CRT monitors, can barely see the BG change at all.

Yeah... thats the highest this laptop can support. 's also why I see the grey so well. LCD screen...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The bar is a good idea, especially the wiki link, but I can't say I like the color change at all. (it shows up fine on my CRT, unfortunately :p)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
What the hell is a CRT?

Me likes the new change, although all i see is choco-brown and black BG.
also please get rid of these ugly things:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Like the logo, dislike the new BG color.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Shade

What the hell is a CRT?
Cathode Ray Tube screen.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Nuclear1

Melikes the new design. Liked the old one too, so it doesn't make a difference to me anyways.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
What the hell is a CRT?
Cathode Ray Tube screen.

now i'm totally clueless. :p
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Nice adjustments. I like the bar, and the background colour is still O.K. IMO  Just dont make it any brigther, I love dark forums. I spent so much time here, and a dark sheme is more friendly to my eyes :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.