Poll

What's your opinion on the design adjustment?

Like the bar, like the new BG color
21 (61.8%)
Like the bar, dislike the new BG color
9 (26.5%)
Dislike the bar, like the new BG color
1 (2.9%)
Dislike both the bar and the new BG color
2 (5.9%)
Eh? I probably need to refresh...
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Slight Design Adjustment  (Read 17395 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: Slight Design Adjustment
Yup, it's sorted now, for some odd reason it even had links to Sectorgames 'Eve' section in it :wtf:

Edit : Ahhhh..  I see what happened, it was trying to display all the drop-downs at once I think :)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I changed board layout a bit, I'd like your input if this is better or worse compared to the old layout. All this change does it to make better use of child boards (also known as sub-boards). If this change sucks, I'll change it back to the old way.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I liked Hard light art as it's own board...

EDIT: and shouldn't missions and campaings go with all the other FRED boards?

EDIT2:     I agree with prophet (below)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 01:20:52 pm by thesizzler »

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
The old way was better. I don't wan't to dig trought numerous menus/windows/boards to get what I wan't. Windows makes me do that. And I think FREDing and modding are very different kinds of things, so I don't understand why to mix them...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I liked Hard Light Art as a seperate board.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
My suggestion is to make the logo always look like when it's mouseover'd and make it slightly smaller, thereby reducing the size of the too-large header box thingy.

Overall I like it. Nothing too drastic, but why mess with a good thing.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
The Logo looks ub3r sweet when the mouse is over it, but I hadn't realized that until Rictor pointed it out. Make it like that all the time!

Offline Axem

The menus up top don't work out with Opera 9 very well. They appear with parts of the entries missing, go behind the ads, and don't go away when I take my mouse away from it. (All seen in the pic below). Also I can't get the Gamewarden or Sectorgame menus to open up.

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
I like the new color; it's easier on the eyes.  But I don't like the new design layout.  (I know what the poll says, I hit the wrong button...Curse my sleepwalking posts...)  The top bar just seems a little fussy and redundant.  I have always found it easy to get where I want to go just using the existing links.  It was also easy just to troll the forums looking for interesting stuff. 

The new logo layout also bugs me.  I'm super-organized and I like to have everything work efficiently.  I run at 1152 x 864 res, and the logo and it's accompanying background just seem too big.  It's a little "in your face" is the only way I can describe it.  Maybe you could shrink it down or make an option to collapse it?  (Like the little +/- sign next to the date and time for the section below "Hello <name>".)
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Axem, try force-refreshing.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Can I sugget the dropdown menus also have some hover-over tips telling people what they are.
You know what "Hades Combine" is and I know what it is, but not everyone knows what it is.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I have checked their website several times but I still don't know what it is. :p :D

Offline Axem

Fury: Didn't fix it, though I did find where the GW and Sectorgame menus pop up... A bit too far right if you ask me. :p

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
What OS and browser?

Offline Axem

Opera 9, Windows 2000 SP4

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Eh, looks like I am in the minority of dislike.

I always link peple directly to the forums anyway...

Speaking of which... Is it just me or did the voice acting forum disappear? (ready to reach for dust covered frozen trout!)

[EDIT]:  Nevermind, found it.  Damn you Child Boards!!!  :P
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 04:14:56 pm by Getter Robo G »
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I hate Opera. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Where did the cool logo go?
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Kie99

Mouseover one looked better than current one IMO.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Well, I asked, but nobody bothered to reply, so now yer stuck with it. You cry. :p

Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to sites or hosted projects that are missing from the top bar, let me know - WITH URL's, mind you. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill