Author Topic: Donations  (Read 33961 times)

Offline Kaine

i'll probably donate tonight. someone mentioned 100 ppl donating $24, i think thats very achievable. i'll prob donate $25 US or something. I've paid a lot more for games i've enjoyed less :P

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
A long time ago in a Galaxy far far away, www.Hard-Light.net was fully operational.

But some bug$€r, lost and bored Shivan killed Darth Vader and it all exploded. Maybe mixing hyperspace, subspace and Sol-Gate we will able to reach it again...

Now seriosly... When Hard-light is healthy again, it could be a good Idea to post a "Wealth Meter" with the money you've collected and the money you've used in server costs. But as already said by many other people, please, NEVER post donators' names or nicks.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

anyone heard of round-robin DNS ?
you don't have to pay anything, and you will have your site without any ads, the solution is simple :

take ~50 members with proper upload bandwidth (500-1000 kbits) give everyone a copy of the static data and give them the web server configurations and proper settings to make sure they are all the same, make sure that those members have a constant ip address, and make sure they agree to keep the web stuff running in their system, always.

once that is achieved, a DNS company could create you a DNS name, which would be a round-robin DNS address, which will transfer every next hit to the next ip address of on e these members, for example :

a user entering the DNS address which will connect him to 0.0.0.1 (address doesn't matter they must be the addresses of the members)
the next user entering the site will be using the same DNS address but will actually connect to 0.0.0.2 (member #2)
and so forth.

the web data must be as static as possible, the changed data which is modified all the time like the forum content (SQL) will be on the master server, to which all members will connect and linked to transfer the rest of the data.

problems : the members will have to have tolerable latency to the server, 50-100 ms is optimal, the server to which they will be connecting must have the ip addresses of these members in the iptables as ALLOWED, and give them specific usernames and passwords for access, should not be a problem.

this will greatly reduce server cpu load as it will only have to deal with sql and no http and scripting stuff which require much more cpu time.

those members will have to have their network stuff running ALL the time, that means no shutting down of the system, at all.
as a backup, the round-robin DNS will have to provide a fail-safe against ip addresses that do not reply in sufficient amount of time and make sure to skip those addresses when they fail, to avoid users getting an error which would indicate that their site does not exist while in fact it's that partocular member to which that particular user was assigned to at this particular time.

since many people here are programmers im sure you understand the idea quite well.
of corse, it is also possible to make a more sinple and elegant solution :

you could make a master site with mirrors, same thing, the mirror sites will contain all site content and connect to the master site for data modification, the master site will not contain anything but a selection, in plain HTML, of all the other mirrors (users with web stuff running that can host all the web data as mentioned above).

with both of these methods, you can either have a very low load on the main server of even manage very well without a server at all, using only the administrator's system as the host for SQL requests (which will have to make sure his system never gets shut down either, because if it does it will no longer be possible to modify any data)

what do you think of this idea ? is it helpful ?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I usually hit HLP from work so it would be feasible to me, what about the other fine upstanding members here though?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I have some HTML server and I can host some text-only stuff some torrent files for downloading releases maybe ?
I may also be able to create a site, as long as it is 100% HTML, no J/S, no scripts, no cgi no asp etc....
think of some 1337 design with nice static frame and text, with some images too, of corse a user limit will have to be present, I will check if that is possible with my http server....

Offline Windrunner

• The Hammer.
good idea but its not something that  suits us at the moment. to do this you would have to have a pretty big community. right now we are trying to gt HLP hosted on a dedicated server toghethor with game warden.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 05:22:27 am by Windrunner »
Staffmember: Hard Light Productions
I said a lot of things.  Some of them were even true. - Aldo_14

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
The host re-strted sucking,when do you change it?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
In regard to donations, you can buy stuff from here. I first found the link in the first post of the FRED contest sticky by Goober5000, so I'm assuming HLP gets money. I'm planning on buying some stuff just for the awesome factor.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Actually, I'm not sure HLP gets money from that.  I'm pretty sure GalacticEmperor set that up on an at-cost basis.

I'd have to ask him to be sure though.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
The server sometimes goes down,which that the host has remained the same.
Have you reached those infamous $2000?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
No, nowhere near, unfortunately. We're basically at $680.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started

This thread is almost two months old,so we have no chance of having the host we wanted.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
No, but another promising lead is being looked into.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis

This thread is almost two months old,so we have no chance of having the host we wanted.

Hey, as Monty Python say: Look at the Bright Sight of Life.  6 x 680$ = 4080$  :D

Now seriously, I also doubt you'll get the 2000$  :(
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I wonder... are people aware that one does NOT need a PayPal account to donate via PayPal? All one needs is either a credit card, or - I believe - an American bank account.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
No, but another promising lead is being looked into.
What Sandwich means that HLP should have moved to the same server as Game Warden by now. By the looks of it the move won't be happening because nobody who knows what to do can be arsed to work on it, including me.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
 Well at least he's honest :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline bloated

that website that sells the apparel, if it's being run not for profit then include the cost of the server space in the price of the apparel.

I'm planning on buying some of the apparel and would prefer at least a cppl bucks per shirt going to the website.