Author Topic: Technical difficulties  (Read 22134 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Technical difficulties
Over 90% of the space is taken by hosted projects of course. There's a bunch of good servers available at $150-$200 price range.

I've been eyeing on SoftLayer's Opteron servers. I got a small discount offer for their Opteron 170 (2.0GHz dual-core), 2GB RAM, 2x250GB HDD, 2TB/10Mbps bandwidth. They don't have smaller HDD's than 250GB, but thanks to that they can offer 250GB's for the same price as most others offer 80GB's, the difference in price small in the retail market as well. There's no RAID as it would increase price by $40, so the other HDD is a backup HDD where data will be mirrored regularly. With 250GB HDD, hosted projects no longer would have to keep their development files compressed to save space, as this can be inconvenient sometimes. This server should be good enough to keep HLP running many years. The Opteron 170 server would cost with the small discount $194 per month, if we forget the backup HDD the price's down to $174.

Hopefully Sandwich will get a donation page up and running today so that we can start saving for a new server.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 12:58:01 pm by Fury »

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Over 90% of the space is taken by hosted projects of course.
I thought as much :nod:

I never heard of SoftLayer but I done a search, all comments so far are positve, customer service via chat is excellent and they certainly seem like a great company. I'll probably switch to them myself once I have enough sites to place on there :D

Great choice Fury :yes:

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Over 90% of the space is taken by hosted projects of course. There's a bunch of good servers available at $150-$200 price range.
and most of that by TBP, no? seeming as they're the largest hosted project so far :D
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
It's an indictment of the level of interest that still exists in FS2. It's also a reason to try and get the tracker running again.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
and most of that by TBP, no? seeming as they're the largest hosted project so far :D
One and half months ago TBP was taking up 61% of the space taken up by hosted projects. Then it was cleaned up and now is one third of its earlier size. Later WCS ftp's were mirrored on HLP and current WCS is taking up nearly three times as much space as TBP is. WCS staff have promised to clean up their ftp though.

It's also a reason to try and get the tracker running again.
Tracker?

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
I think vyper is referring to the TBP torrent tracker that use to be around

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I hosted TBP BT Tracker on my own domain and webhosting. It was very popular but in the end I gave up on it because people simply wouldn't keep seeding, I didn't want to keep seeding TBP torrents forever either.

If he referred to the HLP BT Tracker though, it wasn't ever used despite the fact that it was kept around many months and people never really showed any interest to it. Whether HLP BT Tracker will be resurrected depends on future bandwidth restrictions and if there's any interest to use bittorrent to save bandwidth.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 06:36:26 am by Fury »

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Erm, the thing you were made an admin for. The BitTorrent tracker.

Edit: never saw your reply to Xelion
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 07:09:14 am by vyper »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
See my post above yours if you missed the HLP BT Tracker part of the post. The post's edited to make it a seperate paragraph.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I wonder, is the actual size of those projects indicative to their relative fan bases? i.e. do the bigger projects have more fans?

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Uh, i'm getting warnings about double-posting, when I the post is in fact not posted at all. Is this part of the problem we were experiencing before?

Offline stinger

sorry to see the site in difficulty  :sigh: - i might be out of line but i suggest you check out dreamhost's offers - theyre not the fastest but they have a great service with heapsa space and bandwidth -

get well soon  :(

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
DreamHost has a bad rep of being unreliable and slow. They've been already checked out and the conclusion is that they are no different from other shared hostings, only grossly overadvertised.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Too bad someone doesn't build a server just for HLP and we (the users) help pay for it......
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Alright who enabled guest posting? :p

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Good question. As far as I understand, that should have not happened. :wtf:
Something creepy is going on...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I'm scared.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
This sort of thing always happens after an upgrade...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Meh, fixed and the post deleted.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I still have difficulties entering the site.
I have cleared the cokkies and caches,but there's still something wrong,though I've been able to post anyway.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]