Author Topic: Timeline issue  (Read 3188 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Can we cite the sources of non-canon information, please?  It's evident to me that, for a specific example, the TVW timeline could get very confusing when you have more than one campaign set in it (it's not reasonable to expect campaigns to stick to anothers timeline, and we need a clear disambiguation).

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Formatting could stand to be revamped, too.

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
I noticed this too.  I was doing a bit of research for my recent campaign, and in the reconstruction era, there was a lot of apparantly non-canon stuff interlaced with canon info.  These need to be seperated or at least marked if some info is non-canon.  Then the non-canon info should cite the campaign it comes from.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
It's also nearly impossible to tell canon from non-canon in edit mode, becuase one is gray and the other.... a slightly lighter shade of gray.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Wipe + restart not an option i assume?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Almost none of the dates are canon, I'd volenteer to rewrite the entire thing, but I'm having issues with an unpleasent combination of school and family... I say whoever wants to / has the time should do it... and if no one does, just put a non canon flag on it and wait until somone else / I has time.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The problem is that what canon dates there are, are very useful references.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I just changed the NotAllCanon tag, I'll swap it out with the Non-canon tags in the timeline articles, it basically tells people to check the game for references, so it'll be better than calling it all non-canon. Besides, I would prefer there to be a lack of information in the wiki than false information.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I just changed the NotAllCanon tag, I'll swap it out with the Non-canon tags in the timeline articles, it basically tells people to check the game for references, so it'll be better than calling it all non-canon. Besides, I would prefer there to be a lack of information in the wiki than false information.

I don't think it's bad to have fanon in the wiki, to be honest - just so long as it's linked to a campaign or mod (i.e. so people can use it for offshoots or sequels, even if it's only that mods creator for later reference), rather than idle speculation.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'd like to know where the detailed timeline, particularly for FS2, originates from. It doesn't seem like something a fan tossed together...maybe :V: somehow, like back on the VBB or via e-mails back and forth?

One of the problems is a few people have old emails from Dave Baranec or whoever that are effectively, canon, or at least remember their contents. But it's not proveable anymore.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Freespace Freak

I think that the wiki, just like in wikipedia, should cite sources more.  If there's an event that's mentioned in FS2 retail, it should have a citation saying (FS1 Retail) or (FS2 Retail) or even mention the developer comments or interviews it came from.  If it comes from a mod or fan-created campaign, it should do more than just mention that it's non-canon, but also cite what it comes from in particular.  This has the advantage of not only giving the reader a more informed understanding, but pique his interest in a campaign or mod he could enjoy.  It might also be prudent to list conflictory non-canon stuff and cite them, instead of just posting one non-canon source.  I know that when I finish my campaign (one day far-far away) it'll contradict a great deal of other non-canon lore.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 01:40:37 pm by Freespace Freak »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I think your right, we should implement this on new aritcles, and gradually update the old... would be easier with more community involvment.

Offline Freespace Freak

I'm a little hesitant to do that myself since I'm so new to the HLP in the first place.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You don't have to go through the pages adding stuff if you don't feel comfortable enough with FS2 to do that.

If you have a canon source for something you see add it. Eventually we should have citations for everything.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I'm a little hesitant to do that myself since I'm so new to the HLP in the first place.

IMHO you're less newb-like than I am, but as Kara said, you are not forced to do anything on the wiki

(on that note, sorry about the spelling Ngtm1r  :lol:)