Author Topic: Highlights are back!  (Read 12946 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Do you mind if I suggest something?

How about making the pictures black and white, and then scroll over and they turn into color? Good idea?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Well, it's an idea, but not one I'm eager to implement. It's probably more work than it's worth.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
How about making the pictures black and white, and then scroll over and they turn into color? Good idea?
Well, it's an idea, but not one I'm eager to implement. It's probably more work than it's worth.
Hours of work for something that most people would only appreciate for about 6 seconds? If that's not worth it, I don't know what is.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
it's simple code with javascript, but it requires making double the art, and uses more bandwidth that way (as 2 images must be sent, rather than one)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I think the way it is now has always been good. There's no need to have this "black and white turns to color when cursor moves over it" thing.

Besides, let people be happy that we HAVE highlights at all. Don't be insatiable.

Anyway, good job on implementing the highlights. Again :yes:
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Sorry for being so demanding, I just like the way they 'light up' as they do now, just thought it would be interesting to see the pictures do that too.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Woo!  Highlights!

I was missing them :p
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
See? I only had to commend the admins for the re-emergence of highlights and ITHOV becomes highlighted.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Don't start thinking you have special powers now ;)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
This is great news. Highlight it.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
For me the "Related Sites" thing on the front page is displaying behind the body of the page, is there something you can do about this?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
What browser are you using?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I just had an idea for the highlights. What do you guys think about the Highlights being the way they are now for logged-in users, but for guests, having topics up there that are more likely to be what they're looking for? For instance:

Logged-in users see the standard highlights.

guests see Guidelines For Forum Conduct: All Users Please Read., Topic: Freespace 2 Download Links (Make sure to look at all the pages!), FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!, and Topic: Download Freespace 2 SCP Pack v1.5c (Complete) by ShivanSpS.

This change would point more guests in the right direction, instead of having them post topics complaining that they can't find where to get stuff, which means a decrease in "Help Me!" Threads.

It'd also give guests an incentive for delurking, as then they could see the actual highlights.

So what do you think? Am I completely out of it or is this an okay idea?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
That would be... interesting. I'm not sure, because the minute they register they'd be like: :wtf: where are the links?
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
As highlights, no, but if you'd like to gather a list of all the relevant threads together and put them into the Wiki, it'd be A1-SUPAR. :)

We could also find an appropriate place for them on the frontpage.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
As highlights, no, but if you'd like to gather a list of all the relevant threads together and put them into the Wiki, it'd be A1-SUPAR. :)

We could also find an appropriate place for them on the frontpage.

Sounds fun. I'll see what I can do.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Sorry, I forgot about this. I am using IE6. And yes, I realize that this is an out-of-date program.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I no longer have IE6 to test with... is the problem still happening?

I'm surprised no one else has suggested it yet, but perhaps a highlight is due for the release of Inferno: Alliance?
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan