Author Topic: New and improved welcome beam...  (Read 39072 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: New and improved welcome beam...
1. I'm not a big fan of animations as a means for welcoming new people. Though I'm not speaking for everyone.
2. It doesn't say 'welcome' anywhere and the smilies look angry. That's not very welcoming.
3. It is pretty, though.

Oh, and as a side note, I'm beginning to think wouter is Russian since this new guy Wolfrine(Rus) sounded just like him.

I'm not a big fan of animations, either. I agree with you, it sounds aggressive. "Kill", afterall, isn't appropriate: we usually are newb "helpers" unless people come here only to say "great work guys!"

Wolfrine(Rus)? I talked with that guy on ICQ. I made a .tbm for him as I couldn't find a tutorial.

Oh, I think I will use this topic for this...

...:::THE RULES OF WELCOMING - "WELCOMETIQUETTE":::...

1) The word "kill" and any kind of connection with aggressivity is a coincidence, the welcomer has to be polite.

2) Only the first welcomer gets the kill. Other welcomers who post on that discussion should post beams and wish a great time on HLP.

3) 50 kills = Ace. 100 kills = Double Ace. 150 kills = Triple Ace.

4) Post only when you can help the new members. This means that FREDders, coders, modellers, texturers and other experts are the only ones who can get a high number of kills. People who come here only to say "great work guys" can be welcomed by everyone.

5) Never, ever, mention the word "kill" when welcoming. "I killed you", "Newb down", "You're my Xth/rd/st kill"...NO! "Welcome to the HLPBB!", "You're welcome!", "No problem, ask and you'll get an answer!"...YES!

6) No welcome speeches. Help the new member and post a beam.

7) No one is going to check the kills. It's up to the welcomer to be correct. Follow Mobius example: when you're a bit unsure(i.e. "Was it 16 or 18?") go for the most modest option(i.e. 16).

8) Kills should be mentioned in signatures so that everyone can see the progress and easily verify if someone's cheating.

9) Top welcomers must not expect prizes.

10) Following the rules is important. Hopefully welcomers and welcoming will have better consideration should the rules posted above be followed.

What do you think?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: New and improved welcome beam...
I think it's ridiculous, and therefore I'm closing the thread.  The entire point of the welcome beam policy was to get away from "kills" and other immature behavior that could drive away new members.

EDIT: The "no welcome speeches" and "post only when you can help" items are valid though.