Author Topic: How to monkey yourself in ten easy posts  (Read 37563 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: How to monkey yourself in ten easy posts
If you want to get banned, all you got to do is change your username to TrashMan ;7
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
:necro:

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam

Less than a month is more of a :bump:

However, I do not know what TrashMan is on about?  :confused: :wtf:

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Oh sweet potatoes..................

What the heck.

( i still can't remember where i heard that saying the first time, it was definitely a fit bird though)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
However, I do not know what TrashMan is on about?  :confused: :wtf:

Trashman was banned a while back for this post which was the last in a long line of threads that had pushed him to the verge of a banning.

Of course now he'd just be monkeyed and the Wing Commander boys would be the only ones who had to put up with him.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hmmm...didn't even notice the date on this thread...ups! My bad. Was at the top so it looked like there was recent activity.

But you might be glad to hear Kaj, that you won't have to put up with me anymore. I'm more or less done with HLP (unles something unforseen happens).

In the "off-time" I joined some other non FS projects and it eats at my time so I doubt I'll be doing any FS modding for some time to come. Not to mention I have some preparations to make for my new job (In 2 months I'll be working for Provox Games)

Speaking of which, funny that I'm a active member on over 60 forums and I've never, ever been banned for any forum except this one. Not even warned (except once, at Kerberos boards). I got banned several times here, usually the accusation was trolling (alltough by whose definition I have no idea, cause it sure didn't match any dictionarty I checked), altouhg it could also be lack of humor.

Regardless, for the time being I bid you all farewell. I might drop in from time to time to check on the progress.
Who knows, I might get back to FS modding one day.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Actually I never wanted you to go. I simply wanted you to stop deliberately causing problems.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Good luck at your new job. :)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

What's so bad about necroing an announcement?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Actually I never wanted you to go. I simply wanted you to stop deliberately causing problems.

I never cause problems deliberately. I always try to follow the rules and keep things civil...but I ain't sugarcoating my words or denouncing my opinions simply because somebody is offended so easily. I've seen it too many times that a humorous post by me is interpreted as an all-out attack, sadly.

I still got a few months before my new job, so who knows..Right now I'm taking a drivers license and the other projects I'm part of should take too long..some are almost done. Mayhaps I'll find some time to finish some FS stuff. If not, I'll make everything I have available.

Offline Vretsu

The monkey avatar was an awkward idea...it's a bit too galvanizing to do anything other than cause problems.

BlackDove:
it will sound like God is adressing you

Conjure up a spell checker, m'lord?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 05:38:46 pm by Vretsu »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I never cause problems deliberately. I always try to follow the rules and keep things civil...but I ain't sugarcoating my words or denouncing my opinions simply because somebody is offended so easily. I've seen it too many times that a humorous post by me is interpreted as an all-out attack, sadly.
When you're mature and you have the facts to back up your assertions, then you can break out the big guns.  Until then, discretion is the better part of valor.

Aside from your abysmal debating skill, keep in mind that you're decidedly wrong on a number of key issues, most recently the FLDS case for which you got yourself banned for a month.  Have some humility and accept correction from friend and foe alike.  Don't dig in like an obstinate mule.

EDIT: Read this article too, and learn to recognize the warning signs in your arguments.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
When you're mature and you have the facts to back up your assertions, then you can break out the big guns.  Until then, discretion is the better part of valor.

Aside from your abysmal debating skill, keep in mind that you're decidedly wrong on a number of key issues, most recently the FLDS case for which you got yourself banned for a month.  Have some humility and accept correction from friend and foe alike.  Don't dig in like an obstinate mule.

Being wrong or right is more often then not a matter of oppinion.
I have been wrong on some occasions, and when I realised that I corrected myself. But in most cases I believe I'm spot on...no, I know I'm spot on...and I don't give a damn just how wrong you, him, Bush, or ms. Jinks thinks I am.

My debating skills have served me well so far, and by laws of statictics, I got far more congratulations on a good debate than accusations on bad debating.
But really, what does a debate come down to eventually?
Maybe you don't like the others debating style?
Maybe you don't see the holes in your own agruments (happens to the best of us all too often), and miss the logic in his?
Maybe BOTH sides have good arguments?
Maybe both sides are so blinded (this is the most common scenario) that the debate ends in flames.

Anyway, I've yet to see anyone debating on this or any other forum who hasn't broken a few of those rules (from the links you posted) on regular basis. I break them no more or less then anyone else. If you really dig and try to cycle trough various possible meanings of phrases and words, you can "find" such bad debating signs anywhere.

Heck, I can find a few in your own post right now, but I know you haven't actually meant it...Or at least I hope you didn't.
Methinks the point of good debating is to NOT assume the worst possible interpretation/meaning of the opponents words, but rather the opposite. Try to find some reason in his words even tough it seems it may not be there..for it may very well be there, your just looking in the wrong direction....

humility is good. Devaluating oneself to stroke someone elses eago - not so much.

Whatever.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Trashman, given that you're the only person who has been banned over their debating style you're going to have to do a lot better than "I thought I was right, it's all just about opinions and everyone else does it."

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Do I have to?
All it takes for the "right" person (one with power) to hate you guts (for whatever reason) to get banned. And there are a few ...other reason I can think of, but I won't talk about them, lest I get accused for even more stuff.

And since you asked, yes, I believe the banning was flatout, 100% wrong. What I posted wasn't contrary to any rules, nor was it trolling nor was it any more insultive that 99,995 of stuff you can read.

Speaking of which, can an admin separate this last few posts into a new thread? This thread isn't really the right place for this.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Trashman, you do realize that the reason that the reason your arguments (or "skills) are flawed are because they are drowned in rhetoric.  Which can (and does) lead to flaming.  You are going against people who don't agree with you, (argumentatively they strongly dislike you). 

You must learn to find common ground, use "logic" in your argument, and to engage in "civilized" debate.  When you add the "flame" equation, not only does the argument fail and it appears your not secure in your own belief but it can get personal and adds little to the topic.

The only reason you can't see that is because you have told yourself that you don't do any more wrong than anyone else.  Could be true I don't know but not a justification none the less.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 08:56:49 am by jdjtcagle »
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
All it takes for the "right" person (one with power) to hate you guts (for whatever reason) to get banned. And there are a few ...other reason I can think of, but I won't talk about them, lest I get accused for even more stuff.

And since you asked, yes, I believe the banning was flatout, 100% wrong. What I posted wasn't contrary to any rules, nor was it trolling nor was it any more insultive that 99,995 of stuff you can read.

And of course there was a huge protest about your banning and how unfair it was that included members such as......umm......gimme a sec......oh yeah, that's right, no one. Not one single person has yet stated that your banning was unfair. Is this where you now turn around and claim that everyone on HLP is against you?

This is exactly why you got yourself banned in the first place Trashman. Your complete inability to see when you're in the wrong coupled with your willingness to dig yourself in and fight to the death over it. You can try to paint your banning as a vendetta or overreaction from the admins all you like but given what a bunch of moaners the average HLP users are you'd think that someone might have had something to say about it. Take a look at the monkey thread policy thread or the hosting policy thread if you don't think the members will start posting if they think that the admins are being arbitrary.

Speaking of which, can an admin separate this last few posts into a new thread? This thread isn't really the right place for this.

Actually I feel it's quite appropriate. You're 5 posts in and counting. :p

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
This is exactly why you got yourself banned in the first place Trashman. Your complete inability to see when you're in the wrong coupled with your willingness to dig yourself in and fight to the death over it. You can try to paint your banning as a vendetta or overreaction from the admins all you like but given what a bunch of moaners the average HLP users are you'd think that someone might have had something to say about it. Take a look at the monkey thread policy thread or the hosting policy thread if you don't think the members will start posting if they think that the admins are being arbitrary.

Come-on Karajorma, you know you love us really!  :P  :D
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thing is, this place has it's share of pretty radical views, that's something that is common and usually be dealt with, or left to deal with itself, but the problem is that sometimes you just have to learn to disagree with people and leave it at that. There are situations in life where you are both right, or wrong.

I suppose it's a question of "it ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it"

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
And of course there was a huge protest about your banning and how unfair it was that included members such as......umm......gimme a sec......oh yeah, that's right, no one. Not one single person has yet stated that your banning was unfair. Is this where you now turn around and claim that everyone on HLP is against you?

You're using that as an argument? We are on the internets!
Who cares if I got banned? Who knew I got banned in the first place? Why would they even lift a finger, no matter how wrong it is.

Except that in THIS case, I wasn't wrong. And I'm willing to fight to the death to defend that view. Nay, make it, fight BEYOND death..I'll even bet my eternal soul!

Just by what logic is my post so offensive in comparison to half the post out there (heck, even in comparison to half the posts that insult me it pales to insignificance)?
Even the post right after mine is just as insultive, if not more, since it wasn't a joke.

But fine, I see this is useless discussion either way, since it can't end good. I'm dropping the subject. You happy now?

Actually I feel it's quite appropriate. You're 5 posts in and counting. :p

A clever little monkey, aren't we ;7
Once I take over the world, you'll be the first one to go!